A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Feb 19 2014, 07:03 AM   #1
Lily

Default Piemur

I was thinking about Piemur. We have a pretty full story of his life for about ten years, the latter years being when he was heavily involved with AIVAS and the destruction of thread.

But what did he do after that? I can't see him settling down to life as a holder in Southern under Toric (and Toric looked as if he was about to turn to the Dark Side anyway). His wife was a MasterSmith in her own right and he was probably well out of touch with his early training in music .

He would have had a very solid education in using the computers sourcing AIVAS records. Maybe he ended up as a Teacher/Harper at Landing?

Hope I've got all this right

So - what did the future hold for Piemur?
Old Feb 19 2014, 12:17 PM   #2
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly
Default Re: Piemur

Now that thread is going to finally disappear from the scene, that is going to cause all sorts of social changes.

I imagine him sort of being an undercover explorer/investigator for a few years.

Then I can see him in twenty years time as a leftish-of-centre reform politician.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)

Last edited by P'ter; Feb 19 2014 at 05:38 PM.
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19 2014, 02:16 PM   #3
Eriflor

Piemur could end up installing computers/teaching-machines in all the major holds and teaching the Hold Harpers how to use them --- assuming the Pernese are able to build them. Electronics seems to depend on rare elements, so they may just have to keep the last few computers at Landing operational till they can reproduce the most useful data in book form.

Or he could spend a while helping to hunt down Fourth (Shankolin's last follower).

Eriflor.
Eriflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19 2014, 05:45 PM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Good suggestions, all. Does nobody see Piemur as a potential Masterharper, at age 60 or so?

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19 2014, 06:21 PM   #5
AnnMarie
Dragonrider
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Good suggestions, all. Does nobody see Piemur as a potential Masterharper, at age 60 or so?
That idea almost makes me shiver... but he has this incredible lady to keep him balanced for the most part, so yes.. I can see him taking the reins next
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20 2014, 12:05 AM   #6
Eriflor

I don't think so. Just being a major character in some of Anne's stories doesn't in itself make him Masterharper material.

He was a skilled spy and cartographer, probably knew a fair bit about Pernese politics, and could assemble and use a computer terminal, but once he lost his boy-soprano voice he was a mediocre musician. There must have been plenty of harpers with more rounded skills, more likely to be chosen as Masterharper. We just don't meet them in the stories.

I see Piemur working with Jancis, possibly writing user manuals for the technical gizmos she designed, or researching info in the AIVAS database for her, and helping to raise their family. Unless he's out looking for Fourth.

I don't think he'd be a holder, under Toric or anyone else (especially under Toric). A holder is a farmer --- not one of Piemur's skills.

Eriflor.
Old Feb 20 2014, 10:19 AM   #7
Hans
Master Archivist

I think I have a higher opinion/regard of/for Piemur than others. Maybe because my Pern persona is very much like him
Piemur was the major character in one book and minor in the rest. I still think that over the years he could turn out toe be very adept at politics, like Peter said, and could be Masterharper material. The perfect example of a self made man, from newspaper boy to millionaire, that sort of stuff. He needs tohose extra years though and would probably be chosen later in life and serve maybe only for a decade, or a decade and a half.

My wife is a Jancis, not exactly technical but incredibly precise, understanding, supportive, a stickler for rules, a mathmatician. Come to think of it... I must write her into some fanfic which, to my everlasting shame, I have not up to this point. I was to busy with my other Pern lady friends

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Feb 20 2014, 04:11 PM   #8
Lily

He likes to keep on the move. I wonder if he could be a trouble shooter? Does he have the tact to handle problems? No one will have the all round negotiating skills of Robinton

And where would he have his home base? Not southern. Landing?
Old Feb 20 2014, 06:51 PM   #9
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

On the other hand he may well land up at the major Smithcraft Hall, where Jancis has succeeded to the craft mastery.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Old Feb 20 2014, 08:34 PM   #10
Lily

That would be a major change wouldn't I, a woman as Craft Master? And with no thread any more there should be plenty of dragons everywhere, the 20 years or so after thread there's going to be a lot of dragons looking for things to do
They could probably find lots of work at a heavy engineering facility
Old Feb 21 2014, 04:42 AM   #11
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

They could also have a role whizzing paramedics from hold to hold.

Dragons with blue lights!

C. S. Lewis

Old Feb 21 2014, 05:55 AM   #12
Lily

and sirens?
Old Feb 21 2014, 05:59 AM   #13
Golden Talisath
Dragonrider storyteller
Junior Weyrwoman

Fan of: F'lar and Lessa, DF
Now Reading: My university books

He could serve as a spy like Nip did to Robinton. Though Piemur is more known that Nip was, so that could be a problem.

From the Weyr and from the Bowl
Bronze and Brown and Blue and Green,
Rise the dragonmen of Pern,
Aloft, on wing, seen, then unseen.
Dragonman avoid excess
Greed will bring the Weyr distress;
To the ancient Laws adhere,
Prospers thus the Dragon-weyr.
Golden Talisath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21 2014, 11:39 AM   #14
mara

Fan of: the pern serie's
Now Reading: rereading the crystal singer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily View Post
and sirens?
coming out of "between", in full charge!!
mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21 2014, 12:43 PM   #15
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
They could also have a role whizzing paramedics from hold to hold.

Dragons with blue lights!
WHITE dragons with BLUE lights :-)

Old Feb 21 2014, 04:55 PM   #16
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

I can remember when Cambridge (the English one) had blue ambulances.

C. S. Lewis

Old Feb 21 2014, 05:48 PM   #17
Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by mara View Post
coming out of "between", in full charge!!
That would be frightening. At least a siren would indicate a medical emergency. Mind you the dragon would probably enjoy the opportunity to arrive in full fighting array
Old Feb 21 2014, 05:49 PM   #18
Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
I can remember when Cambridge (the English one) had blue ambulances.
I think new ambulances here are being painted yellow. They are very noticeable.
Old Feb 22 2014, 02:41 PM   #19
Eriflor

Can't recall where I saw it -- somewhere in the original trilogy I think -- but there was something about "dragons bugling in thirds", i.e. on 2 notes, so they could make a noise like a siren that would be distinctive but not too alarming. No need for actual sirens.

And they could wear some kind of insignia (BIG!) on their neck or chest, like the designs people had to paint on their fire-lizards after Ramoth's egg was stolen.

Eriflor.
Old Feb 22 2014, 04:30 PM   #20
Lily

LoL! Well, dragons attached to Harper Hall would be surrounded by music wouldn't they, and perhaps encouraged to *sing* !!!! I wonder how many pitch perfect people would cringe mightily at that
Old Feb 23 2014, 02:36 PM   #21
Eriflor

They could bugle a fanfare when someone important came on a visit, or to start a Gather. Probably nothing more complex --- at least individually.

Still can't remember where I read that bit about the dragons "bugling in thirds", or fourths, or whatever it was.

Eriflor.
Old Feb 23 2014, 04:01 PM   #22
Lily

Eriflor, that is familiar to me too. Perhaps someone will let us know?
Old Feb 23 2014, 05:59 PM   #23
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Robinton, at the start of...hmm. Dragonquest, I think, because he's composing a ballad about Lessa's jump through time. Or is it later, in TWD? Because that's the ballad that Piemur can't sing Lessa's role for when his voice breaks.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23 2014, 06:05 PM   #24
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Okay, it's not mentioned in that scene I was thinking of, but I do remember the mention as well.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23 2014, 08:24 PM   #25
Lily

Goodness! someone is actually going to have to look it up!!!
Old Feb 23 2014, 08:31 PM   #26
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix

Piemur as Masterharper? As an old man AND Masterharper? My god, he'd troll all the Lords and Masters and Weyrleaders SO HARD. And then he'd die and some poor bastard would be left with cleaning up all of Piemur's left-over tricks. If the series were to continue on a line of nepotism, the one cleaning it up would be one of Sebell and Menolly's children, probably Robse due to his name.

Hmmm...so, the Harper Hall was originally established as a college/university. When the tech broke, they fell back on music as an education device, and sort of recreated druidic traditions. But if technology is picked back up again, then you can suddenly decouple music from education, which is probably wise, and really was something Robinton himself was promoting with his cross-crafting push even though there was no talk of putting music on the back burner at the time.

If Piemur continues with computers and then eventually jigs into information sciences, then an emphasis on music wouldn't necessarily be necessary IF the Harper Hall chooses to shift its focus back to education, and thus follow computers/tech/books/etc. If the Harper Hall made actual musical ability a lesser branch of it, and higher education as its focus, then I could see Piemur being considered as a Masterharper candidate. But I also see him as being extremely eccentric, because even if he has spy abilities by the time he's a cranky old man he won't give a damn and would rather get his kicks out of trolling.

So...in a traditional Harper Hall focused on music, I don't see Piemur as being a good candidate for Masterharper, ever, but in a Harper Hall that keeps evolving under Sebell, things could be different enough that Piemur might have a chance. But only if a stronger candidate didn't appear, and if Menolly was dead or didn't want the position herself.

Fanfic WIPs: The Day Benden Went to War (Pern/Talent); Slosh (Pern); Weyrbred Lads (Pern); When You Fall Asleep /Between/... (Pern)

Completed Fics: Flight (Pern), Flight v2 (Pern), Golden Glow (Pern)

D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23 2014, 11:08 PM   #27
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

I see him more of an undercover trouble shooter. He would be able to fit into any group easily. He is very smart & would have no trouble collecting information that was needed

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24 2014, 01:14 PM   #28
Eriflor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Robinton, at the start of...hmm. Dragonquest, I think, because he's composing a ballad about Lessa's jump through time. Or is it later, in TWD? Because that's the ballad that Piemur can't sing Lessa's role for when his voice breaks.
It was in Dragon Drums that Piemur lost his voice.

I had a notion it was either Robinton or Elgion who was thinking about the dragons' voices. Or maybe Clisser or Iantine. Not much help, I know.

Eriflor.
Old Feb 26 2014, 03:21 PM   #29
Brenda

Iantine notices that Morath's mental voice is very similar to Debera's, only lower. I don't remember anything about vocalizations.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4 2014, 11:53 PM   #30
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Talisath View Post
He could serve as a spy like Nip did to Robinton. Though Piemur is more known that Nip was, so that could be a problem.
He helped Pinch, with the making of the fire retardant that saved the Printer Craft Hall, in Wide Bay in Keroon in Skies of Pern.

Also there are some Craftmasterwoman in Skies of Pern.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote