A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Apr 4 2008, 08:41 AM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default World Premiere for Pern Museum: cover art for Todd's new book Dragonheart

Yet another Les Edwards Pern cover world premiere for the Pern Museum & Archives

The famous British artist Les Edwards kindly gave the Pern Museum & Archives the world premiere for showing the just finished artwork for the upcoming Pern book Dragonheart (formery Dragon's Heart and Dragon's Time) by Todd McCaffrey.

Special about this cover art is that, although commissioned by the US publisher Del Rey, the UK publisher Bantam Books has also chosen to use it for the UK edition. So like with Todd's book Dragonsblood Les' beautiful artwork wil grace both editions! Yippee!

If you want to see more artwork by Les Edwards we heartily recommend a visit to his website full of wonders.

Click the thumbnail below to access the Pern Museum & Archives homepage and the full artwork from there.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4 2008, 12:16 PM   #2
OnyxDrake
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Too many books!!!
Default Re: World Premiere for Pern Museum: cover art for Todd's new book Dragonheart

It's beautiful. It's as if they're turning on their wings and dancing through the air.
OnyxDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4 2008, 01:17 PM   #3
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: World Premiere for Pern Museum: cover art for Todd's new book Dragonheart

I love that he chose to show the dragons during a mating flight...they are beautiful looking and very much what I see as real Pern dragons. Les is my most farorite of the Pern book cover artist...as I think he actually has a little piece of Pern in his heart as well. This is just more proof of his fantastic talent...

CONGRATULATIONS *LES* ON THIS FABULOUS NEW ARTWORK

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4 2008, 02:02 PM   #4
Sandi

Beautiful!!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4 2008, 03:18 PM   #5
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

I love it, the colors in it are just gorgeous and I love the view of cultivated fields. It's weird almost that such fields haven't been shown before on an agricultural planet, but I can see that with the usual dragons-in-the-sky depictions the ground is often not in view.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4 2008, 03:42 PM   #6
Brenda

Mostly if they show anything, it's the mountains. I do like the combination of fields and mountain range.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4 2008, 08:18 PM   #7
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

Wow!
Old Apr 4 2008, 11:13 PM   #8
Shalyn
Inactive

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.
Fan of: Dragonflight

I love it.

However, Hans - why do you have to have a dark background and white lettering at the Museum? It's so hard for old eyes to read.
Shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5 2008, 02:49 AM   #9
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Congrats, Hans on being the one to display the art in its entirety! And thank you to Les for another wonderful cover. A totally different perspective for us to view.
Old Apr 9 2008, 09:55 PM   #10
Kerianth
Jewel Junk

Just catching up ... and wow, that is a lovely picture! I also like the juxtaposition of the fields and mountains and the mating dragonpair in the foreground. I wonder if all the tiny buildings we see are cotholds or would some be Thread shelters? This is a fascinating glimpse into another side of Pern! Well done to Les!

Cibryen Weyr
Kerianth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6 2009, 05:13 AM   #11
Maleus
Inactive

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: Green Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Default Re : World Premiere for Pern Museum: cover art for Todd's new book Dragonheart

Did you see the prelims Les Edwards did before a cover was definitvely chosen?

Here is his pages for Prelims. It includes Dragonheart (+alternate) but also Dragon Harper, Dragonsfire (+ alternate), Dragonsrider's Dawn and Dragonsblood.

And here is the alternative Prelim for DragonHeart you may not have seen yet. I so much prefer this one to the current cover. It does not look like a proper nuptial fly, mind you, the other one seems more accurate. But yet, I like the look better.
Maleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6 2009, 02:42 PM   #12
Dragon Man
Inactive

Fan of: The Dragonriders of pern
Now Reading: changes frequently

Wow thats great and it potrays the dragons very like i imagined them
Dragon Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6 2009, 11:52 PM   #13
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Hans: Lovely addtion to your collection of fine art works By the way has any inside the front dustcover is a full but smaller image of the what I think is the UK cover of SvP?

I recheck my AMC/TMC/Dragons and More colections for the most part are half packed and not realy handy for looking at! Nor is my eyes up for that hunt matter.

Just some I saw before my sight when down on me!
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7 2009, 12:22 AM   #14
T'mynn
Inactive

Fan of: All books
Now Reading: Chronicles of Pern

Pretty Image. My monitor doesn't do them justice at all. The bronze and gold dragons appear yellow and orange, nearly a burnt seiena. Where are the Seiena coloured dragon's front and hind feet? :-) Heheh unless there's a little known fact they can tuck the feet into the body for less wind drag.
The eyes are red, isn't this usually the colour when they'er anrgy, or is it also for a mating flight?
T'mynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7 2009, 11:37 AM   #15
Maleus
Inactive

Gold Re : Re: World Premiere for Pern Museum: cover art for Todd's new book Dragonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'mynn View Post
Pretty Image. My monitor doesn't do them justice at all. The bronze and gold dragons appear yellow and orange, nearly a burnt seiena. Where are the Seiena coloured dragon's front and hind feet? :-) Heheh unless there's a little known fact they can tuck the feet into the body for less wind drag.
The eyes are red, isn't this usually the colour when they'er anrgy, or is it also for a mating flight?
Yeah, I did notice these strange dragon hides too... Yellow and Orange... Geez, uggly But the mating flight may happen during a sunset or at dawn, that would make for these uncommon colors

As for eyes color, red is for anger as much as for excitement. So yes, dragon's eyes would be red during a matin flight. Remember a Queen feel exitement when she bloods her kills, then anger when she sees male dragons closing in and pursuing her
Old Jan 7 2009, 04:07 PM   #16
unicorntig
Dragonrider

Candidate

Fan of: Pern Series
Default Re: Re : Re: World Premiere for Pern Museum: cover art for Todd's new book Dragonhear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleus View Post
Yeah, I did notice these strange dragon hides too... Yellow and Orange... Geez, uggly But the mating flight may happen during a sunset or at dawn, that would make for these uncommon colors

As for eyes color, red is for anger as much as for excitement. So yes, dragon's eyes would be red during a matin flight. Remember a Queen feel exitement when she bloods her kills, then anger when she sees male dragons closing in and pursuing her
Good point Maleus!! I hadn’t paid much attention to the eye color before reading this post more closely.

I think the picture is amazing, though I do wish the colors were more realistic to Pernese dragons. I think that mass production of the cover art may have altered the original colors slightly.

I just took a look at my copy of Dragonheart and the dragons definitely look yellow and orangish-brown. I hadn’t really noticed it before, but overall it seems the book wasn’t very well made.
Old Jan 7 2009, 05:42 PM   #17
T'mynn
Inactive

Fan of: All books
Now Reading: Chronicles of Pern

I looked at his other drawings of dragons. Most of his older pernese dragons used to have finlike flaps were an ear would be, and the fin-like fan on the tail end. A newer drawing's caption stated he'd made changes per fan and macaffry's suggestions.

I like the way the ridges are shown on these. However no way to keep the rider on the dragon. hehehehe.
T'mynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19 2009, 08:51 AM   #18
Maleus
Inactive

Brown Re : World Premiere for Pern Museum: cover art for Todd's new book Dragonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleus View Post
[...] And here is the alternative Prelim for DragonHeart you may not have seen yet. I so much prefer this one to the current cover. It does not look like a proper nuptial fly, mind you, the other one seems more accurate. But yet, I like the look better.
Er... Well, if you see the mention "sold" on this Prelim, I have to plead guilty for it I think I might get killed by my mate for buying such a piece of art for such a price , and I may have to eat patatoes for longer than I realize for doing so , but I just could not resist getting a drawing made by an official Pern artist and one I liked a lot as a matter of fact That will be the keystone of my collection I think! For now, I swin in happiness
I'll let you know when it reaches home.
Old Jan 19 2009, 09:44 AM   #19
Hans
Master Archivist

CONGRATULATIONS, Maleus!

Tell Valerie you are a regular of A Meeting of Minds! She'll appreciate hearing it.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jan 20 2009, 07:00 AM   #20
Maleus
Inactive

Default Re : World Premiere for Pern Museum: cover art for Todd's new book Dragonheart

Thanks Hans! I knew you would be the first to notice my post

Valerie? I did not receive any mail from her yet. The one who answered my inquiries is Les himself. But I sure will let him/them know where I dwell for Pernese purpose at the moment

I hope the prelim holds some interesting details. I also bought some original of a much loved comic series named Elfquest, and you can sometimes see different version of drawings appearring though they have been gummed.
Old Jan 20 2009, 10:17 AM   #21
Hans
Master Archivist

Valerie is Les' wife and agent and she usually handles the business.

I visited Les and Val last year and you can't imagine a nicer couple. They are great people and Les is a great artist with a wonderful (dry) sense of honour and good anecdotes about coventions and such

Old Jan 21 2009, 12:09 AM   #22
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Maleus, Congratulations on buying such a magnicent piece of artwork...I am sure it will be more than worth all that you will have to do to pay for it. I love this piece as well...and have a small copy that I hang with my own collection.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote