A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Games and Miscellany
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Games and Miscellany Participate in word game threads, post jokes, share links to interesting websites or news stories. And watch out for hosts lobbing in topics that don't quite fit anywhere else!

Old Dec 11 2008, 07:52 AM   #1
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Fan of: Pern, Tower, and Pegasus
Now Reading: Watchers by Dean Koontz
Default To the Under 30 Crowd

THE SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD!!!
If you are 30 or Older you will think this is hilarious!!!!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears With their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were
growing up; what with walking Twenty-five miles to school every morning

... Uphill...

BOTH ways

Yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, There was no way I was going to lay A bunch of crap like that on kids about how hard I had it And how easy they've got it!
But now that... I'm over the ripe old age of Thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today. You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my Childhood, you live in a Utopia!
And I hate to say it but you kids today you Don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet. If we wanted to know something, We had to go to the library and Look it up ourselves, in the card catalogue!!
There was no email!! We had to actually write Somebody a letter, with a pen!
...Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take like a week to get there!
There were no MP3's or Napsters! You wanted to Steal music, you had to hitchhike to the record store and shoplift it yourself!

Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ'd usually talk over the beginning and messing it all up!

We didn't have fancy things like Call Waiting! If you Were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it!

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your bookie, a collections agent, you Just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances.

We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video Games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games Like 'Space Invaders' and 'asteroids'. Your guy was a little square! You Actually had to use your Imagination!! And there were no multiple levels or Screens, it was just one screen Forever!

And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

Sure, we had cable television, but back then that was only m-net and there was no on screen menu and no remote control! You had to use a Little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off Your butt and walk over to the TV to change the channel, and, there was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons On Saturday Morning. Do you Hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK For cartoons, you spoiled Little brats!

And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up we had to use the stove ... Imagine that! If we wanted popcorn, we had to use that stupid Jiffy Pop thing and shake it over the stove forever like an idiot.

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids Today have got it too easy. You're spoiled. You guys wouldn't have lasted Five minutes back in 1980!

Regards,
The over 30 Crowd

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
Kater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11 2008, 02:36 PM   #2
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly
Default Re: To the Under 30 Crowd

As a member of the over-60 crowd do you want ME to start in?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11 2008, 04:46 PM   #3
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

LOL P'ter!!!

Old Dec 12 2008, 01:03 PM   #4
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

The funny thing is- most of that was relevant still for my childhood (we had microwaves and I think the games were slightly more advanced) and I'm 23! Or maybe that's because I come from the sticks :shrug:
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12 2008, 04:17 PM   #5
Multi-Facets
Insert Witty Title Here.

Fan of: Girl Who Heard Dragons
Now Reading: Newflesh/Mira Grant.

I'm twenty-five, and sometimes I really miss the Eighties. There was so much cool stuff back then. Pound Puppies, Popples, Punky Brewster, slap bracelets, jelly sandals, more comics that were actually GOOD, the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, less danger on Halloween, and the comfort of knowing that hey, you were a kid: Sure, you had chores, but for the most part, your parents took care of everything else, and that made you feel secure.

Anyone wanna help me build a time machine and bring that stuff back?
Old Dec 13 2008, 11:23 AM   #6
Cherlyn
Crafter

Fan of: P.E.R.N.
Now Reading: 'Winds of Fate'by Mercedes Lackey

A member of the Over-40-Gang and I know some of what you'd say P'ter, I hear that from the Over-80 ladies I know and one little gentleman, my granddad, who is 93...

don't I get to hear it !
Cherlyn (Cheryl #2 - "The Okie One") aka The Cheesaholic, Chocoholic Packrat and seeker of anti-ques and junque...
Click:. . .F.R.O.G. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .@<. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
"I just got back from the hospital. I had a speed reading accident; I hit a bookmark." ~ Unknown
Cherlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13 2008, 01:03 PM   #7
Sandi

Anybody else in here ever seen an outhouse? Cranked water up out of a well?
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13 2008, 01:10 PM   #8
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
Anybody else in here ever seen an outhouse? Cranked water up out of a well?
My Gran had an outhouse!
I haven't seriously used a well though.
Old Dec 13 2008, 02:05 PM   #9
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

I've seen and used more than one outhouse. One has the finest views of the Isle of Wight that I know. It also has a stable door so you can leave the top half open and enjoy the scenery.

I've also used a well and bucket quite recently. Also a hand pump over a borehole.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Old Dec 13 2008, 07:21 PM   #10
Sandi

Most of my childhood was spent in Jacksonville, Florida but my parents had roots in rural Alabama. It was a great adventure to me to visit my Great Grandmother. She had no electricity, no gas, no indoor plumbing. She had a wood stove and kerosene lamps and a well which had a crank that would break an arm if it got away from you. (Got one of my cousins, I always managed to hand on to it!) I loved going there, playing in the pine-scented woodshed, gathering eggs, milking cows and communing with nature. I was really miffed when she sold up and moved to a small house near my Grandmother with plumbing and lights and all that. As I recall, one of her greatest joys was a second-hand electric wringer-style washing machine.
Old Dec 13 2008, 10:59 PM   #11
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

My great aunt had an outhouse and a well with hand pump. She would pump a couple large buckets of water for the kitchen and keep a ladle in it that we would use for drinks of water when we got thirsty. She also cooked on a wood stove and heated with another wood stove. She had chamber pots under all the beds, but we never spent the night so we didn't have to use them. She also had one of these: http://courses.ncssm.edu/gallery/col.../exhibit01.htm We thought it was great and loved looking through it!
Old Dec 14 2008, 03:08 AM   #12
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Well ..... the link doesn't seem to work for me, but did you mean one of those thingies that took pairs of photos so that you could see in 3-D?

C. S. Lewis

Old Dec 14 2008, 05:40 AM   #13
Rissa
Inactive

Fan of: Fantasy
Now Reading: Dragonlovers Guide to Pern

OOoo..

Water in a well..CHECK!
Outhouse...DEFINATELLY CHECK!
Chamberpots...thank goodness didnt have to use it...CHECK

CHURNING MILK into BUTTER..hehe..that will exercise your arms for you!
Shucking Peas....check check...

Grandparents also from rural Alabama. I was glad their house was NOT like a neighbors. They had a tin roof on top. When it used to storm, it was like being trapped underneath a steel drum. DROVE ME NUTS!

Wood stove...check. Wish we still had it, the way the prices for fuel have skyrocketed.

Hand cranked clothes ringer, and foot peddled sewing machine. Oh, I loved that sewing machine!

Gathered eggs, fed cows, slopped piggies, got chased by the dogs...Ran from the goats... got kicked by mules...Oh yes, fond memories...

hehehhe
Rissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14 2008, 05:58 AM   #14
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Let me see.....

*having to feed the poddy calves,
*going to the beach by OURSELVES without mum or dad,
*go to a friend's place (well that was when we lived in town, when we lived on the....dare I say it....hobby farm, all our friends came to us),
*the Jackson 5 then later, Michael Jackson,
*having to travel so much because of my dad's job so never really got into anything late1970's-ish but geez, wasn't the 1980's good?
*being able to go somewhere and told that if we weren't back by 6pm, we'd be thrown into the doghouse BIG TIME!
*the ol' trusty wooden spoon instead of dad's belt, *chuckles* no wonder mum never got to use any whilst baking,
*having a vegie garden and growing corn,
*umpteen million dogs, cats, goldfish, birds and the bull getting into the neighbour's paddock because the "grass" was greener on the other side and we had to chase him back into our paddock.

The memories are endless.....

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14 2008, 11:10 AM   #15
Sandi

Rissa, you've remined me of a treasured toy from my childhood. My grandmother made toy churns for my sister and me out of Mason jars. She ran a dowel through a hole in the lid and attached an empty thread spool to it. a litle water and some ivory soap flakes and we could sit beside her and churn away while she was making butter. But as for shelling peas, I still do that. It's a nice sit-down job!
Old Dec 14 2008, 06:37 PM   #16
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

I like jam making.

C. S. Lewis

Old Dec 14 2008, 09:07 PM   #17
Sandi

When I lived in a place where I could produce things I enjoyed "putting them up." Until a terrible winter storm, we had some huge fig trees and I loved making (and eating!) fig preserves. I traded canning veggies for freezing early on but I stuck with the fig and pear preserves for years. I canned peaches sometimes too before the slugs pretty well demolished the trees. My son-in-law likes to make jellies (jams) out of blackberries and muscadines (a wild grape) and I certainly don't do anything to discourage his hobby.

One thing I get out of reading through this thread is that, if catastrophe struck, most of us "old folks" would be able to survive. We probably wouldn't be happy but we could cope.
Old Dec 16 2008, 03:08 PM   #18
Rissa
Inactive

OOh..canning and preserves!

I have only tried that a few times...but my mom still does that. Trying to learn from her. Its great to have stuff you can pull out months later....and it tastes great!!! Muscadines, blackberries, peaches and plums all grow wild on my place. Have an pear tree someplace... LOL

AHHH..I HATE shucking peas..fingers hurt. :-p
Churning was ...interesting... I didnt know it took THAT LONG to make butter.. hahaha Was so glad when she got a motorized one.

I rather make wine and liqueurs! or Mead. hehehehhe.
Old Dec 16 2008, 11:31 PM   #19
Sandi

Mead? Don't you need bees for that? They are in very short supply in these parts. Of the three people I know who had beehives, none have any bees left.
Old Dec 17 2008, 01:20 AM   #20
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Dad's was born the youngest of his family, in the place right next door to land he bought from my Grandfather and Mother, he helped with the chores, and my gradfather ran a saw mill, he also use the mill for power, and to make sorugum (sp).

We would have to use water, we got from a family member in the winter if we came up from the city, for a weekend in the winter along with a bucket for a chamber pot, before we moved there all year round.

He has a wood stove used for heat and cooking, when he home.

Make wine, and beer some time with wild grapes!
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17 2008, 05:21 AM   #21
Rissa
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
Mead? Don't you need bees for that? They are in very short supply in these parts. Of the three people I know who had beehives, none have any bees left.
*sigh*

Yes. We have noticed the shortage of bees in our area also. Had to hand pollinate some vegetables. Rather strange, but with all the weather fluxes..not surprised.
Old Dec 17 2008, 05:23 AM   #22
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

There's also the Varoa (sp) mite Rissa
Old Dec 17 2008, 03:11 PM   #23
FlameCat
Dragonrider
Candidate

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Grimm's Fairy Tales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-Facets View Post
I'm twenty-five, and sometimes I really miss the Eighties. There was so much cool stuff back then. Pound Puppies, Popples, Punky Brewster, slap bracelets, jelly sandals, more comics that were actually GOOD, the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, less danger on Halloween, and the comfort of knowing that hey, you were a kid: Sure, you had chores, but for the most part, your parents took care of everything else, and that made you feel secure.

Anyone wanna help me build a time machine and bring that stuff back?
nah, jelly sandals were around in the 90s too and now we have those strange wellies with holes in.. but i might agree with comics - some of the more common ones are rubbish!
FlameCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18 2008, 06:08 AM   #24
Rissa
Inactive

LOL!!

70's...one word...

PET ROCK!!
Old Dec 18 2008, 08:46 AM   #25
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

I used to have a pet rock!! Ah the memories!

Old Dec 19 2008, 03:11 AM   #26
Emma-Jayde
Inactive

Fan of: Pern and Crystal Singer
Now Reading: LotR, when I have the time.

I'm only 20 and most of that first post still applies to me!
And we STILL have an outhouse! Although it doesn't get used much now!
I had a pet rock too. I think he might still be around here somewhere.

Never got to go to the beach by myself as a kid, but that might be because the nearest one was about a four hour drive away We just swam in the dam on the neighbour's property instead.

My great aunt still lives on a property where water comes from the well or the rainwater tank. There's one electrical light and the fridge which run off a generator, but everything else is gas or kerosene lamps and/or candles!
The house it made out of mud bricks, and we made more and added an extra room a couple of years ago.
Emma-Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23 2008, 02:56 AM   #27
Myt
Crafter
Senior Apprentice

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Something, always something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kater View Post
I used to have a pet rock!! Ah the memories!
As an under 30, hell an under 20. I'd like to say, I've had pet rocks too. I still have one in the backyard. A little point too: I look at what my brother watches on TV and I can feel my IQ dropping. Seriously, childrens television has changed that much in 9 years.
Myt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24 2008, 07:42 PM   #28
Brendon
Inactive

Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Dragonflight

well i can say as an 18... i hear the same from my dad but i do live 30 minutes north of spokane in a little place called ELK! so the drive to school is 10 minutes and the 4 feet of snow we have presently doesn't help at all. but i have had it pretty easy. thanks for clarifying though...
Brendon is offline   Reply With Quote