A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Library Foyer > Events Board

Events Board Information on site-sponsored and member-sponsored events: trivia contests, gathers, etc.

Old Aug 10 2011, 12:11 PM   #41
kindan

Fan of: Crystal Singer
Now Reading: David Drake - With the Lightning
Default Re: Anne at Dragon*Con 2011

Oh cool, I just went to the facebook page and kinda figured out how it works. Someone on there (maybe it was you) posted that the con works like a bunch of mini-cons under one umbrella, which made a lot of sense. I found the couple tracks I'm interested in so I think I understand it better.

Fortunately, most of the stuff I'm interested in is in the Hyatt.

Next question: I heard from a friend that they clear rooms after each panel so it's difficult and you have to pretty much get in line for what you know you want to be at way ahead of time. What kind of time should I plan for Anne/Todd appearances?

Thanks!
kindan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10 2011, 12:20 PM   #42
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

If you want to get in line for Anne's signature, it was hours before the signing started. And that was the last time I was there (maybe 5 years ago). I HOPE they have the lines better coordinated this time. Last time we got in line based on where a con staff person told us to start. About 1/2 hour before the signing was scheduled to begin another (rather bossy) con staff person showed up and announced that "No, our line was not where it should be", and we had to scramble and hope we got reasonably close to where we had been, because Anne only signs "X" number, and after that the line is closed. I was lucky to still get my two books signed, but some were not who had been originally in line at a point where they should have gotten signatures. As far as the panels that Anne and Todd do? I'm not sure how early you need to go to them as I only went to one or two and that was several conventions back from our last one.
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10 2011, 12:24 PM   #43
Cavatica
Inactive

Fan of: Pern, Talents
Now Reading: Just finished: House of Suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindan View Post
Oh cool, I just went to the facebook page and kinda figured out how it works. Someone on there (maybe it was you) posted that the con works like a bunch of mini-cons under one umbrella, which made a lot of sense. I found the couple tracks I'm interested in so I think I understand it better.

Fortunately, most of the stuff I'm interested in is in the Hyatt.

Next question: I heard from a friend that they clear rooms after each panel so it's difficult and you have to pretty much get in line for what you know you want to be at way ahead of time. What kind of time should I plan for Anne/Todd appearances?

Thanks!
It wasn't me who posted that, but it was a fair observation, yes.

Con-wide, most panels are scheduled to last for an hour, with half-hour breaks in between. The bulk of the AMCW/Weyrfest track happens in Vinings, which is one of several small-medium meeting rooms on the bottom level of the Hyatt -- I'd say it has a capacity of about 100 people. Our average panel attendance is somewhere between 15-30 people (that is the AVERAGE; Dragon Sex tends to be packed to bursting, and Todd/Jody readings often fill up as well), and clearing out the room really isn't that much of a hassle; we usually get the bulk of our breaktime to relax and chat and get ready for the next thing.

Big panels, like the Anne-Whelan panel we've got scheduled, are held in one of the big ballrooms on -- shockingly -- the Ballroom Level of the Hyatt or the Marriott. These can take a little longer to fill up/clear out. How long you wait in line has less to do with the time it takes to clear the room and more to do with how popular the panelists are going to be.

So when Serenity was released, for example, the entire cast of Firefly was at D*C. That was HUGE, and lines for their panels wrapped around the building. If you wanted a seat, you had to be there at LEAST two hours before the panel. Nimoy-Shatner, same thing. The Battlestar Galactica cast, same thing.

Anne tends to draw pretty substantial crowds, but they're USUALLY not unmanageable. I'd say you should plan to be at her panels maybe an hour in advance, and if there's no one in line, go do something else and come back. :> The Anne-Todd-Michael Whelan-Bill Fawcett panel will, I'm guessing, be a pretty big draw; maybe check two hours before, see where things are, and go from there. Having a backup plan is ESSENTIAL at Dragon*Con!

The big ballroom panels also usually have big projector screens set up, so you can see from the back of the room, and they tend to be rebroadcast on Dragon*Con TV throughout the host hotels -- so if you miss something or want to watch it again, you can catch it from your own comfy bed a few hours later!

Does that answer your question?
Cavatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10 2011, 05:26 PM   #44
GHarris

Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavatica View Post
It wasn't me who posted that, but it was a fair observation, yes.

Con-wide, most panels are scheduled to last for an hour, with half-hour breaks in between. The bulk of the AMCW/Weyrfest track happens in Vinings, which is one of several small-medium meeting rooms on the bottom level of the Hyatt -- I'd say it has a capacity of about 100 people. Our average panel attendance is somewhere between 15-30 people (that is the AVERAGE; Dragon Sex tends to be packed to bursting, and Todd/Jody readings often fill up as well), and clearing out the room really isn't that much of a hassle; we usually get the bulk of our breaktime to relax and chat and get ready for the next thing.

Big panels, like the Anne-Whelan panel we've got scheduled, are held in one of the big ballrooms on -- shockingly -- the Ballroom Level of the Hyatt or the Marriott. These can take a little longer to fill up/clear out. How long you wait in line has less to do with the time it takes to clear the room and more to do with how popular the panelists are going to be.

So when Serenity was released, for example, the entire cast of Firefly was at D*C. That was HUGE, and lines for their panels wrapped around the building. If you wanted a seat, you had to be there at LEAST two hours before the panel. Nimoy-Shatner, same thing. The Battlestar Galactica cast, same thing.

Anne tends to draw pretty substantial crowds, but they're USUALLY not unmanageable. I'd say you should plan to be at her panels maybe an hour in advance, and if there's no one in line, go do something else and come back. :> The Anne-Todd-Michael Whelan-Bill Fawcett panel will, I'm guessing, be a pretty big draw; maybe check two hours before, see where things are, and go from there. Having a backup plan is ESSENTIAL at Dragon*Con!

The big ballroom panels also usually have big projector screens set up, so you can see from the back of the room, and they tend to be rebroadcast on Dragon*Con TV throughout the host hotels -- so if you miss something or want to watch it again, you can catch it from your own comfy bed a few hours later!

Does that answer your question?
Thanks Cavatica!

My wife and I will be going this year. I'm hoping to get to see AMC this year.

Let us know when/where her signing will be.

I see Todd's doing a panel on how the Pern movie is progressing.

Thanks,

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10 2011, 05:33 PM   #45
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Quote:
My wife and I got time off. We'll be there! Yay I hope to run into some of you nice folk. Know I don't post a ton, but I still like everyone here!

Now from what I'm reading this thing is pretty spread out, so where should I go for Anne stuff? It turns out my wife's uncle lives in Atlanta, so we have free board with him. Just looking for where to hang out.
One thing you can not miss is the parade. I think it is on Sat. & is great fun.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10 2011, 11:36 PM   #46
kindan

Thanks so much, great answer to my questions. I'm very excited
Old Aug 11 2011, 09:52 AM   #47
Cavatica
Inactive

Quote:
Thanks so much, great answer to my questions. I'm very excited
We're excited, too! And looking forward to meeting you!
Old Aug 11 2011, 11:03 PM   #48
Pam
Heptite Guildmaster

Fan of: Lars Dahl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc View Post
I did think of Pam doing it though - may even go back
I know where you were! And now I'm sad, because I won't get any

The Crystal Singer Continuum

Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12 2011, 01:32 AM   #49
Kerianth
Jewel Junk

Jumping in late to the discussion (as usual!) but it's great to know you're going, kc! I'm looking forward to meeting up with you again, and the rest of the 'regulars', plus all the newcomers since my last visit two years ago. I'm bringing my 11-year old daughter to her first-ever con, and her first trip to America, so she's really excited right now.

Three weeks today, it all begins!

Cibryen Weyr
Kerianth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15 2011, 07:41 PM   #50
kc

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: Various

Good to know you and your daughter will be there too Kerianth. Not long to go now
kc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16 2011, 06:13 AM   #51
Kerianth
Jewel Junk

I know; it's very exciting! I'm putting the finishing touches to the portfolio for my teaching qualification today - after I've submitted that, I'll be costume-making right up till it's time to go.

The countdown continues ....

Cibryen Weyr
Kerianth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16 2011, 03:10 PM   #52
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Just had word from Jody Lynn Nye that Bill (her husband) had to announce that Anne will NOT be at Dragon*Con this year.

Gigi (Anne's daughter, who was to accompany her mother) told them that Anne is in the hospital. She had some chest pains so she went to the doctor. He says it is some kind of heart concern. It may be no more serious than angina, but even if she is released with plenty of time to spare, he advises her against flying.

Sorry to be the poster of such sad and unwelcome news as I know how much both fans and Anne herself looked forward to this Dragon*Con.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16 2011, 03:22 PM   #53
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat
Default Re: Anne's attendance at Dragon*Con 2011 cancelled!

I am truly sorry for this. However, I suppose it may be better to know now than be a couple days before, if people who were planning on going specifically to see her wish to and are able to cancel reservations?! I hope she's feeling better very soon. Perhaps a "Get Well soon" Thread that could be forwarded to her?!
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16 2011, 03:29 PM   #54
Cavatica
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
I am truly sorry for this. However, I suppose it may be better to know now than be a couple days before, if people who were planning on going specifically to see her wish to and are able to cancel reservations?! I hope she's feeling better very soon. Perhaps a "Get Well soon" Thread that could be forwarded to her?!
We've already started throwing around the idea of a card over on Weyrfest's Facebook page, if anyone would like to join the discussion there.
Old Aug 16 2011, 04:35 PM   #55
kc

Oh that's a shame.

I know Anne really enjoys meeting her fans and will be miffed to miss out on DragonCon.

Health comes first though and I hope she's okay.
Old Aug 16 2011, 07:43 PM   #56
kindan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Just had word from Jody Lynn Nye that Bill (her husband) had to announce that Anne will NOT be at Dragon*Con this year.

Gigi (Anne's daughter, who was to accompany her mother) told them that Anne is in the hospital. She had some chest pains so she went to the doctor. He says it is some kind of heart concern. It may be no more serious than angina, but even if she is released with plenty of time to spare, he advises her against flying.

Sorry to be the poster of such sad and unwelcome news as I know how much both fans and Anne herself looked forward to this Dragon*Con.
Aw man, that's not what I wanted to hear, both for my own trip but more for her health. :/ I really hope it's something minor.
Old Aug 17 2011, 12:59 AM   #57
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
Unhappy Re: Anne's attendance at Dragon*Con 2011 cancelled!

Just spotted this, and yes this is Health comes first, Get Well Soon!
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17 2011, 06:33 AM   #58
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

It is disappointing that she won't be going to DragonCon but hope she feels better soon.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17 2011, 08:03 AM   #59
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen

This must be really disappointing for both Anne and for the fans who were looking forward to seeing her. Get well soon Anne.
Old Aug 20 2011, 12:14 AM   #60
Samsara
Inactive

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Restoree

Very sad news for Anne and her fans, but I do hope she gets better very soon!
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22 2011, 10:55 PM   #61
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

I am so very sad to hear that Anne is ill...I hope that it turns out to be a simple minor problem and that she will be feeling much better soon.

GET WELL SOON ANNE....

I am sorry for all you fans that won't be having the delightful pleasure of seeing and meeting Anne in person...it has always been an amazing experience for me.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle

Last edited by Lady Maelin; Aug 23 2011 at 09:55 PM.
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26 2011, 11:48 AM   #62
kindan

Now my second reason for attending Dragon*Con, Bruce Boxleitner, has cancelled. My batting average isn't so great on this trip to the east coast.
Old Aug 26 2011, 02:07 PM   #63
Hans
Master Archivist

Oh drat, that is sad Kinda. I hope you still will have a good time.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Aug 26 2011, 03:19 PM   #64
kindan

Quote:
Oh drat, that is sad Kinda. I hope you still will have a good time.
I am sure I will I have a number of friends going. For those that share Babylon 5 interests, which I'm betting there's some crossover between the Anne-fan crowd and the B5-fan crowd, we're going to do a one-off Babylon 5 fan track at a yet to be determined place and yet to be determined time. Probably somewhere where there's a bar.
Old Aug 27 2011, 07:33 AM   #65
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
-snip- Probably somewhere where there's a bar.
Somewhere near you then?

Have a great time!

Old Aug 28 2011, 11:17 PM   #66
kindan

Quote:
Somewhere near you then?

Have a great time!
Hicup! I already am.... Hicup!
Old Aug 30 2011, 09:32 AM   #67
kc

I'll be on my way out of the house in a few mins.

See you in Manchester or Atlanta

Old Aug 30 2011, 11:54 AM   #68
Hans
Master Archivist

Have a safe trip, kc

Old Aug 30 2011, 09:09 PM   #69
Samsara
Inactive

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Restoree

Hope you all have a great time!! I so wish I was going...
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote