A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Jun 12 2006, 01:05 PM   #1
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default The Oldie but Goodie's

Today I recieved my copy of "Science-Fiction + Plus" magizine. For all of you oldie but goodies out there this is a delightful trip to the past when we were kids watching "Flash Gordon" and "Buck Roders" and the original "Superman", and all dreaming of the stars before we ever went to the moon. I was totaly taken aback as I looked through this lovely 1953 copy with it fantastic even for now drawings of Robots, and Space Ships. All for .35cents !!!

In this magazine there is a "Short, short story" by Anne McCaffrey, according to the small note in the magazine:

$100.00 will be paid by this magazine for each Short-Short Science Fiction Story. These stories must be real science -fiction, not fantasy, and should not run over 1,000 words. The Short Short + will occupy one full page.

I thought that it was so interesting to see that this was how it was done back in the first days of Anne's career...

I hope that you enjoyed this little tid-bit, as much as I did in finding it. Thank you Hans for doing a HIGHLIGHT of this, and showing the magizine cover, it is a huge 8x10 size, and my copy is in fantastic shape, especially for an oldie but goodie.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12 2006, 10:59 PM   #2
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too
Default Re: The Oldie but Goodie's

So glad you got your copy, Maelin! Enjoy it, it is super to read the original.
Old Jun 13 2006, 02:56 AM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

You probably also know the story that the original was longer and that the editor did his job and edited it down to the requested number of words or told Anne she should bring it back to the requested number (I forgot which), so she would eligible for the money? Saying it should/had to be done because that way she would be better paid

Congrats on a wonderful acquisition, Maelin!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13 2006, 07:43 AM   #4
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Anne got $100 for her 1000 word story (so 10 cents a word), whereas for regular short stories the magazine paid 3 cents a word.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13 2006, 09:25 AM   #5
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

what story is this?

35 cents!!! wow!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13 2006, 09:59 AM   #6
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Her first published story, called "Freedom of the Race".
Old Jun 13 2006, 10:02 AM   #7
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Edi, it's the "Freedom of the Race". The story is about the Martians having captured the earth and making slaves out to the Earthlings, and their plans to take it back. It's a decent stoy, if too short. But the magazine is loaded with all mannner of interesting stories, and science information.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Jun 13 2006, 10:08 AM   #8
Becky
Coelura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
You probably also know the story that the original was longer and that the editor did his job and edited it down to the requested number of words or told Anne she should bring it back to the requested number (I forgot which), so she would eligible for the money? Saying it should/had to be done because that way she would be better paid

Congrats on a wonderful acquisition, Maelin!
I read somewhere that the whole prize thing was made up. (this is where that interview thing I was thinking about doing would come in handy, i'd be able to go to it and find out more, seems more and more like a good idea)
I'll have to check thru my interviews to see if I can find out more.
Old Jun 13 2006, 10:51 AM   #9
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Hmm, it's in Hargreaves that the info about it being a running contest is, in a section quoting Sam Moskowitz who was the editor of Science Fiction Plus at the time.

Do please find that interview and we'll see if we can figure out truth from (science) fiction!
Old Jun 13 2006, 10:53 AM   #10
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Becky, It does sound like it is getting to be a pretty good idea for you to put it together.

Old Jun 13 2006, 11:38 PM   #11
Becky
Coelura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl
Hmm, it's in Hargreaves that the info about it being a running contest is, in a section quoting Sam Moskowitz who was the editor of Science Fiction Plus at the time.

Do please find that interview and we'll see if we can figure out truth from (science) fiction!
Ah, thanks for the reminder, Hargreaves does say it won $100 in a contest, but somewhere else Anne says the contest was not even real, it was made up to help promote the magazine. Grr, will have to review the mags, but it will be a couple of weeks before I can do that. My son, his wife and my 2 yr old grandson will be here starting tomorrow for 2 weeks. So the books and mags stay safely behind closed doors! Then I'll start on this interview idea.
Old Jun 14 2006, 10:36 AM   #12
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

WOW !!! You are going to get a visit from your son, and get to spend some time with your little Grandson . YEAH !!! for you. I would love to be able to spend some time with mine for a few days........soon hopefully

I will be looking forward to seeing what you come up with from the old interviews of Anne's, should make some interesting reading.

Old Jun 14 2006, 11:41 AM   #13
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Maybe it's just an issue of semantics? The publisher considering it a contest as it paid more per word than longer stories, and there being only one published per issue -- thereby making it sort of a monthly contest. And Anne, knowing that every month they published a short short story considering it a regular thing and not a special contest?
Old Jun 14 2006, 11:39 PM   #14
Lily

A great find indeed, Maelin.
What happened to the story and what is it like? Has it ever been reproduced anywhere else, and if it was cut back - was the original ever published?
Old Jun 15 2006, 01:46 AM   #15
Becky
Coelura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl
Maybe it's just an issue of semantics? The publisher considering it a contest as it paid more per word than longer stories, and there being only one published per issue -- thereby making it sort of a monthly contest. And Anne, knowing that every month they published a short short story considering it a regular thing and not a special contest?

Quote from Lily too -
What happened to the story and what is it like? Has it ever been reproduced anywhere else, and if it was cut back - was the original ever published?

Maybe, but to me when I read whatever it is I'm remembering, the contest wasn't a real contest. They did it just to get her story published. That was the one and only time they did that 'contest' and I gathered no one else's story was even considered. And too I could be remembering this totally wrong! I've been wrong before and will be wrong again, I'm sure!

Lily, the story was republished a couple of years ago in Wondrous Beginnings. For more indepth info see Hans' Collectors Highlight (4) - Freedom From the Race - http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=1619.