A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Mar 31 2008, 08:34 PM   #1
Shalyn
Inactive

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.
Fan of: Dragonflight
Default Eighth to Ninth Pass Language Differences

When Lessa went back in time to bring forward the Weyrs, she immediately began talking to Mardra and T'ton, asking them to come forward. There was no sense of a language barrier/shift. Yet, even with Harpers going around Pern attempting to keep the language 'pure', it seems odd that there are no differences after almost 450 years.

I have come up with a theory. Why? Because I am <still> working on a fanfic from Mardra's POV - when the Weyrs came forward, and the problems they faced.

Would language be one of the problems? Maybe not. Why not? Dragons.

We have hundreds of telepathic dragons, intimately linked to their riders. The bond cannot be broken by anything less than death. This is a close - very close - mental bond.

Now, what if, because of this telepathic affinity, there is always a residual current of telepathy going on? That the reason Lessa could talk to T'ton and Mardra with no problem was because the words were being translated subliminally?

Could this subliminal translation be extended to non-rider Weyrfolk, or those visiting the Weyr? Could it be extended outside the Weyr, so a rider could talk to a Holder and not have an issue?

And, if an Eighth Pass non rider were to talk to a Ninth Pass non rider, the problem would then become apparent?

If this does not make sense, then so be it.

But - is it possible that this also makes as much sense as thread-eating watch-wher saliva? Or dragons who can lift as much as they think they can?

Or, have we talked about this before? I can't remember.

I'm also looking to get a few more beta readers. Anareth, Kath, Girlslick and Alettath are betaing for me, but I think a few more may give me some more ideas.

X-posted - NKT/MoM
Shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31 2008, 09:05 PM   #2
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line
Default Re: Eighth to Ninth Pass Language Differences

Hmmmm. I don't think the telepathy would help between non-riders at all. In a conversation between a rider and a non-rider, it would depend on the mind of the non-rider. The closer the mind is to whatever it is that makes a person likely to become a dragonrider, the more help the telepathy would be in minimizing language problems. Does that make any sense?
Old Apr 1 2008, 11:07 AM   #3
GHarris

Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern

I think the language difference just boils down to this.

A 9th pass person can talk to an 8th without too much difficulty, but there will be some change in usage of words that causes some difficulty, but conversation is still understandable (think US English compared to UK English).

The same way we each successive pass.

Now, have someone who speaks modern US English try to speak to someone who speaks Old English (which is probably as close to German as it is to Modern English) that doesn't already know middle english or german. I'd say that it would take some time for them to understand each other. Which is what happened from 1st pass to 9th pass. It just took some time to understand the dialect shift.

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1 2008, 12:20 PM   #4
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

It took AIVAS a bit of time to adjust to the language shift from 2500 years, and of course he had major computing power to help with that, but I think it was said that over that time span while there were changes it wasn't huge. So over a shorter interval of 400 years, I wouldn't expect a change to be so great they they couldn't understand each other.

It wouldn't be a whole new language. There might be some differences in pronunciation that would sound weird to each other but not cause a lack of understanding for most words (Americans, Brits, and Aussies can understand each other but for the occasional odd word). And there might be some differences in word/phrase conotation that would be more confusing at first and take longer to adapt to (again I think of the differences of word usage for US, UK, and Oz English).

It might be startling at first to hear Lessa when she shows up, and they might remark on her funny accent, but they'll understand her most of the time.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1 2008, 01:46 PM   #5
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

The dolphins managed to adapt.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1 2008, 05:11 PM   #6
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

With some assistance in their pronunciation.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1 2008, 07:52 PM   #7
Brenda

I think it was mostly a change in accent that made the oldtimers harder to understand, to begin with - thinking of RoP, Jayge's train's encounter with the oldtimer who spoke strangely. Of course that was also combined with shock at having had Thread fall on them...
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2 2008, 03:08 PM   #8
Brenda

Quoting myself from the NKT:

If you read Jayge's first encounter with an Oldtimer, he had a hard time understanding the dragonrider's accent - and being a trader would have been familiar with the various contemporary accents of Pern. And if it's just an accent, a dragon might just make it a little easier to understand without stumbling over it.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5 2008, 09:04 AM   #9
Shalyn
Inactive

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.
Fan of: Dragonflight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
Quoting myself from the NKT:

If you read Jayge's first encounter with an Oldtimer, he had a hard time understanding the dragonrider's accent - and being a trader would have been familiar with the various contemporary accents of Pern. And if it's just an accent, a dragon might just make it a little easier to understand without stumbling over it.

*kisses Brenda*

Perfect.
Shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote