A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Dec 24 2007, 03:25 PM   #1
OnyxDrake
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Too many books!!!
Default What would your Pernese job-description be?

Here's a fun one.

What do you do now for a living and how would that translate into Pernese terms (keep in mind what you were "into" when you were a young adult)

Here goes... When I was but a wee lass of 6 Turns, I displayed a ferocious need to make music. Hence the fact that by the time I was 13 I was playing piano, guitar and recorder, as well as singing in a choir. At age 17 I started a grunge band and later went onto playing bass for a black metal outfit before real life laid claim to my time. Now I doodle on my piano accordion, making strangled goose noises and generally annoying my husband, the animals and my neighbours (all in the spirit of stress release).

Sadly, the reality was that music would not be a viable career option for me and I opted for graphic design with a view to becoming a writer/journalist.

Now, on Pern, methinks being a Harper would have suited me to a tee. I'd combine my love of meeting new people, making music and travelling and of course... the fact that I love picking up a good bit of gossip on the side.

So, where would I be right now? At age 29 I'd probably be a Journeyman Harper by now, travelling between Weyr and Hold. And I'd probably have made it to the Southern Continent by now.
OnyxDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25 2007, 02:21 PM   #2
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)
Default Re: What would your Pernese job-description be?

I'm a teacher, meaning the direct translation would be some form of Harper. Given that I'm not a fan of rote learning, children's music, playing instruments, unnecessary travel, etc. I would probably have found something else to do on Pern.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25 2007, 09:53 PM   #3
Deb
Inactive

Fan of: Pern of course!!
Now Reading: The Portrait of Dorian Gray

In RL I am an Animal Health Tech, so I guess Beast Healer would be where I might be found. Although, with my fascination with dragons, I'm sure that I would find a way to become a Dragon-Healer!! Anything at all so that I could be able to spend time with those majestic animals....and if I happened to be chosen...well that would be amazing too!!

If not dragons, then dolphins...in the newly re-created Dolphin Hall is where I would go!! (Scrabbing blu-fiss!!)
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26 2007, 02:30 PM   #4
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

I don't know... At one point I wanted to be a pediatrician, so I might be a healer on Pern. Or a dolphineer, given my love of dolphins. Not sure I'd be allowed to Stand on Pern, given they wouldn't have hearing aids! Though I could be a dragonhealer, which would be close enough.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27 2007, 04:55 AM   #5
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

EEK, you have given some for thought there, Tresa. I wear glasses and can't do without them. If they don't have those on Pern...

I'd be what my alter ego is: a Master Archivist. Since I'm a real life professional in two fields: public relations and genealogy/history I'd be a non-musical/low msical profiled Harper.
And with the handicap in the seeing department I'd be one of those archetype archivists with their nose in the books for real!

Hmmm, let's inquire with AIVAS after Grabowsky Treatment, the 23rd century successor of the once famous Lasik Treatment...

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27 2007, 06:40 AM   #6
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

If I was doing my R.L. profession, I'd be designing holds and halls.

What I would love to be is Weyr Harper (and rider)

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27 2007, 11:48 AM   #7
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Since I am an artist in real life...I would suppose that I would be an artsit on Pern as well. Without my glasses I can see to work as, I don't normally work with my glasses on...I would just have to get very close to all my subjects to see their faces clearly.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28 2007, 01:01 PM   #8
GHarris

Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern

I've always been good at mathematics (and not bad at other subjects).

I played drums in the band (mostly because I like music, but I cannot carry a tune, so I'm not really good at playing instruments with notes).

I wanted to be a military fighter pilot, but my vision, while not bad (20/25), is not perfect. And I'm a little short for that occupation.

I'm now a computer programmer. I suppose that I would have been in one of the crafthalls (probably metal or glass), and I would get to play drums to accompany a harper. And after AIVAS was found, I probably really would have hit my stride.

So my guess as to my Pernese job description, would have been a Metalsmith.

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28 2007, 02:33 PM   #9
sjslack
Inactive

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: as usual

I tend to play 'mother' a lot, even though I'm not really that maternal, but I do enjoy my woodwork, and I live with a professional turner...so I'd say I'd currently be an Apprentice Woodsmith living with a Master Woodsmith...I think my Nana would be a Journeywoman weaver perhaps. ^^ Though not Journey-ing anymore.

I'm the sort of person who likes trying new things and being in different situations though, so I'd be sure to make friends with plenty of Harpers when I finally got my Journeywoma status. xD
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28 2007, 05:42 PM   #10
Topaz the Golden
Inactive

Fan of: all of them
Now Reading: anything I can get my hands on

when I was in High School I wanted to be a lawyer, that didn't happen. for a while I was writing poetry but lost my muse. In RL I work in a mailroom in a large watch company. Where would I work if I was on Pern. I guess I could fall back on some of my hobbies I like to do hook rug. small one that you can hang on the wall.
Topaz the Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28 2007, 06:42 PM   #11
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Fan of: The Ship Series
Now Reading: Dragonheart, baby!

I think that I would be joining Hans in the Archives!! More than likely the Journeyman to his Master!!!
Gidget2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28 2007, 08:55 PM   #12
Cherlyn
Crafter

Fan of: P.E.R.N.
Now Reading: 'Winds of Fate'by Mercedes Lackey

I would think they would have glasses or at least magnifying glasses . . . it goes hand in hand with the glass blowers . . . Wansor had a problem with his eyes that glasses couldn't help .
which is a related part of my profession - I would be in smith craft - since I couldn't be an auto mechanic there I would be working with all the machines. I do do math well for figuring the amount of building materials and there is a crossover to furniture making (woodcraft). My family had been wainrights - wagon makers - and I am sure I would have family dabbling in it all. I can script neatly and there again I could be doing inventory as well as doing forge work. I would possibly be a part of a voice choir at a craft hall - I can finger a piano but I can't use both hands to play worth a flip.
Cherlyn (Cheryl #2 - "The Okie One") aka The Cheesaholic, Chocoholic Packrat and seeker of anti-ques and junque...
Click:. . .F.R.O.G. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .@<. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
"I just got back from the hospital. I had a speed reading accident; I hit a bookmark." ~ Unknown
Cherlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4 2008, 02:19 PM   #13
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day

In my early years I would have joined Hans in the Archives or kept pushing my way into talking to AIVAS if at all possible

Now I would probably be like Sylvina and organize everything and everyone in the Hall keeping track of thíngs needed to be done.

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4 2008, 03:48 PM   #14
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

I think that glasses would have been on Pern. Also you "hear" dragons in your head, telapathicly. Not with your ears, so needing hearing aids would not be a problem for a dragon rider.

I spent most of my adult life as a pet groomer. Now I am a stay at home mom.
On Pern I would have done something with animals. If not dragons than horses. I would have wanted to live whare it is warm, near the ocean. Before the re-discovery of the dolphins, I would have probably worked in abeast hold. After dolphins, then I would have done ANYTHING to work with them.
I wish I knew more about dolphins than I do.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4 2008, 04:01 PM   #15
r2005
Crafter
Student

Now Reading: 1632 Series by Eric Flint

I'd definitely be a Harper, of some sort. I can play piano and violin, but given time I could easily pick up another instrument. I love arranging songs, but I only do it for solo performances on the piano and I do the left hand part from memory.

As exciting as life might be in a Weyr, I've always pictured myself as a part of the Harper Hall.
Old Jan 4 2008, 08:45 PM   #16
L'isa

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Xenocide
Re: What would your Pernese job-description be?

As a youngster, I had either wanted to be a teacher or a vet. When I graduated from HS, I spent one year at a university with the intent on being a teacher. I ended up working with horses after that for about 10 years. Then struggled around for many more before going back to college and becoming a sign language interpreter. That lead me back to being a teacher, well not actually, but I am the computer lab tech for the college (in the Sign language department).

So, I guess I would have been a Harper since music was always mixed with everything I have ever done. I would have added animals in there somewhere.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
L'isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5 2008, 05:40 AM   #17
Hans
Master Archivist

Teacher, animals, music?

Sounds like a Weyrharper to me!
That way you have it all, inclucing the dragon

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jan 5 2008, 10:29 PM   #18
L'isa

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Xenocide

True, Hans, did not think about that. I will accept the Weyrharper, thank you.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
L'isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6 2008, 03:41 PM   #19
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawra View Post
I think that glasses would have been on Pern. Also you "hear" dragons in your head, telapathicly. Not with your ears, so needing hearing aids would not be a problem for a dragon rider.

I spent most of my adult life as a pet groomer. Now I am a stay at home mom.
On Pern I would have done something with animals. If not dragons than horses. I would have wanted to live whare it is warm, near the ocean. Before the re-discovery of the dolphins, I would have probably worked in abeast hold. After dolphins, then I would have done ANYTHING to work with them.
I wish I knew more about dolphins than I do.

Can't rely on the dragon all the time... Dragon would have to be awake, and listening. And maw, to hear you in a normal conversation, without my hearing aids, we'd have to be almost intimately close, with your nose practically in my left ear. Understand? At that, you'd either have to have a very clear voice or I'd have to know it well enough to get the gist of of what you were saying.
Try doing that in a crowd. It becomes about 10 times harder. I don't even like to talk at meals because even with my aid on it's hard to follow conversations.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6 2008, 04:11 PM   #20
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

erm.... Smith. I've been surrounded by science and Maths for most of my life. Probably, in the 9th pass, it'd have to be something to do with the telegraph or the radios, considering my radio licence.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6 2008, 06:05 PM   #21
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Now Reading: Dragonflight

I think I'd probably be a Weyrwoman Hey, it's tough, but someone has to be bossy and take responsibility
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6 2008, 10:41 PM   #22
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

I work with children. Currently with just one child, but I've "done" nursery school and daycare for about 15 years. Since I quit that line of work in disgust of the "full time daycare for ALL kids, it's perfectly 'great' for them" attitude, I think on Pern I would fall to my hobby of cross-stitch and design pictures from the beautiful original drawings that Master Maelin would make!
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7 2008, 02:38 AM   #23
Gwina
Talent Telempath-Healer

Fan of: white dragon, tower/hive
Now Reading: Insurgent, The Last Apprentice, Damia (again)

Where I'm going right now and what I'd like to be doing are a bit different. As long as I'm helping others that's all that matters. I'll be a nursing assistant shortly and then RN in a couple of years. So, I'd be some sort of Healer's apprentice/assistant at this point on Pern. If I had my way, I'd also be playing my sax (or some sort of wind instrument) on the side with the harpers and learning the stories of "our" people to pass on to future generations (maybe write my own in the process.)
"Whatever zapped me seems to have burned off the outlived dross and stupidities any human collects along the way. I don't mind being two hundred and fifteen years old. In fact, it's fun, in a bizarre fashion."
Gwina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12 2008, 01:20 AM   #24
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.

I'm an easy transposition: flying combat jets to dragon riding. Not much of a stretch. I'd probably be the annoying F'lar-type who would be found actually digging through records and finding out why things are done a certain way rather than simply accepting them as traditional, keeping logs of when and where thread fell to figure out the pattern, and actively devising tactics and training programs for maximum effectiveness and minimum casualties. Which means I'd probably end up pulling duty as the Weyrlingmaster at some point, and I'd probably be remembered as the Weyrlingmaster you didn't want to have...but the one you learned from... (Which is, in fact, something one of my students once said of me when I met him again in the fleet.)
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13 2008, 02:00 PM   #25
OnyxDrake
Inactive

Now Reading: Too many books!!!

Ha... that's a good one, the Weyrlingmaster you didn't want to have!
OnyxDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13 2008, 08:43 PM   #26
jenna
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonsinger/Dragonsong

Well as a youngster I wanted to be a teacher and played avidly in the school band (I was a drummer) I left school to study psychology, and then trained to be a special needs teacher. I left that as I couldn't take the emotional strain (I worked with children in a semi care situation and it killed me to see the shattered,often violent,confused shells of children that would come back to my class after every home visit, I soon realised that the system wouldn't change and had to leave uncaring as that made me sound, the reality was far far from that) I now care for my mother and work part time for an IFA.

So.....

I would love to think in Pern I was an aprentice harper (drum duty I think ),found on search and now helps in the archives. However being realistic I feel I would most probably be a drudge
jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14 2008, 10:04 AM   #27
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

A direct translation? I'd be one of Wansor's colleagues.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14 2008, 11:17 AM   #28
Hans
Master Archivist

who accidentally Impressed a green dragon and got acquainted to a bronze dragonrider (wingleader type), fell in love and live happily ever after?

(yes, a slightly varied the "theme")

Old Jan 14 2008, 11:49 AM   #29
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
who accidentally Impressed a green dragon and got acquainted to a bronze dragonrider (wingleader type), fell in love and live happily ever after?

(yes, a slightly varied the "theme")
Perhaps, but only if I can ditch the mullet hair-do!

Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14 2008, 03:30 PM   #30
Cherlyn
Crafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwina View Post
Where I'm going right now and what I'd like to be doing are a bit different. As long as I'm helping others that's all that matters. I'll be a nursing assistant shortly and then RN in a couple of years. So, I'd be some sort of Healer's apprentice/assistant at this point on Pern. If I had my way, I'd also be playing my sax (or some sort of wind instrument) on the side with the harpers and learning the stories of "our" people to pass on to future generations (maybe write my own in the process.)
Healer Hall isn't that far away from Harper Hall . . . they are both at Fort Hold.
Cherlyn (Cheryl #2 - "The Okie One") aka The Cheesaholic, Chocoholic Packrat and seeker of anti-ques and junque...
Click:. . .F.R.O.G. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .@<. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
"I just got back from the hospital. I had a speed reading accident; I hit a bookmark." ~ Unknown
Old Jan 14 2008, 05:56 PM   #31
Jayru
Inactive

Location: A cozy house in the dales of Debyshire, in little old England
Fan of: The Pern Saga
Now Reading: No time to read, am writing!

Well, by trade I am a writer, so I guess I would be an archavist. Although, I can play a whole host of instruments. So I guess Harper Hall for me - in some sort of capacity.
Jayru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15 2008, 12:47 AM   #32
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

@ *J* naturally your a harper ...what else would suit you so well.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15 2008, 03:31 AM   #33
Multi-Facets
Insert Witty Title Here.

Fan of: Girl Who Heard Dragons
Now Reading: Newflesh/Mira Grant.

Considering my bad eyes and hypersensitive hearing? Hermit jeweler and poet. I'd use a go-between whose voice didn't hurt my ears to take my work to be exchanged for food and such.
Multi-Facets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15 2008, 05:40 AM   #34
Jayru
Inactive

Location: A cozy house in the dales of Debyshire, in little old England
Fan of: The Pern Saga
Now Reading: No time to read, am writing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
@ *J* naturally your a harper ...what else would suit you so well.

Evil Guy out for world domination?

Mind you, those characters don't come off so well on Pern - so I'll stick with Harper.
Jayru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18 2008, 04:47 AM   #35
ancientdracos
Inactive

Fan of: Freedom's landing
Now Reading: Confessor, BY Terry goodkind
Brown Re: What would your Pernese job-description be?

Well lets see I drive a school bus and home school my daughter.
I have been in the military, nuts about fast vehichles,
And hanggliding is as close to self flight i will ever get .
I guess I could be happy as a harper that is if I couldn't be a dragon rider.

Last edited by ancientdracos; Jan 18 2008 at 04:53 AM. Reason: typo
ancientdracos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18 2008, 05:17 AM   #36
Hans
Master Archivist

Military, hangglider? Sound dragonrider to me, Dracos!

Old Jan 18 2008, 01:35 PM   #37
J'rem
Inactive

Fan of: Pern-Talent-PlanetPirates
Now Reading: The Drifters - James Michener

Pre-AIVAS, definitely a Harper, hopefully a Weyrsinger.

Post-AIVAS, Computercraft is definitely a strong possibility, considering it's what I do here on Earth.
J'rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21 2008, 07:27 AM   #38
Faren
Inactive

Fan of: Talent and Freedom Series
Now Reading: Invisible Prey, John Sandford

Since I'm a pharmacist in real life, I imagine I'd be in the Healer Hall, mixing all the herbal meds.
Faren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21 2008, 12:57 PM   #39
Cherlyn
Crafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'rem View Post
Pre-AIVAS, definitely a Harper, hopefully a Weyrsinger.

Post-AIVAS, Computercraft is definitely a strong possibility, considering it's what I do here on Earth.
Heh, well yeah, I've held three temp jops where I've soldered circuit boards . . . as well as training for computer programming, I just might be over there with you . . . especially if my hubby was chosen to guard AIVAS from the smith craft!