A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Oct 3 2007, 05:46 PM   #1
Deester
Inactive

Fan of: The Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Legends with AMC, Terry Goodki
Question Question about book... [Dragonsong US trade pb from Aladdin]

Not quite sure where to post it yet, please move it if in the wrong place.

I just purchased Dragonsong, First Aladdin paperbacks edition with the intention of giving it to my 9 year old daughter. As always I couldnt resist reading it first, only to find I need another copy for her. This one has pages 129-160 in place of pages 17-48. Then at page 49 it picks up again and follows the rest of the way through like it should. Obviously this is a misprint and maybe worth something? Can anyone tell if it is or where I would find info on wether or not its worth and what its worth?

Thanks so much...
Deester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3 2007, 05:55 PM   #2
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat
Default Re: Question about book...

I'm not much of a collector, but I'd say it's probably not worth anything more than what you paid for it. I could easily be wrong, and if I am, someone with more knowledge will correct me, but I'm guessing it's not the same as say a coin that's "struck" wrong and in short supply, or a very rare "mistake" on a stamp. It sounds more like the publishing company goofed when collating the pages.
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4 2007, 09:42 AM   #3
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

For info on the worth of a McCaffrey book, this forum is probably one of the best places on the net as we have quite a lot of collectors here. That said, I've not heard of this misprint before, probably because it's relatively recent. It'll be worth at least a little more than a regular copy of the book, especially if you find the right collector.

Is this the edition you have: http://francois.labarbarie.free.fr/c...s/dsousa4a.jpg

Do you know if it's a mass market paperback (standard size), or a trade paperback (larger in size)? This cover art was used for both.

But more information is needed to better determine how common/rare the problem is. Are all 1st printings affected, or just a portion of them? Was it corrected after the 1st printing or has the problem persisited longer?

I know you probably can't answer those questions, but we can see what other forum members report.

I have a third printing of the mass market paperback (mmp), and it's free of pagination errors. I think perhaps you do have the trade paperback, as my mmp was published by Simon Pulse and not Aladdin.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4 2007, 01:10 PM   #4
Deester
Inactive

Yes That link is the book I have and it is the larger size, so that would make it the trade paperback. The rest I have no idea. Hopefully someone here can help me further. Thanks!
Old Oct 4 2007, 05:31 PM   #5
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: Question about book... [Dragonsong US trade pb from Aladdin]

WOOPS...seems that is one of the covers that I don't have yet drat!!! ...goes off to make a note to myself...to find that cover set of books....sigh!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4 2007, 06:28 PM   #6
Hans
Master Archivist

I think I've got a the HArper Hall trilogy as Aladdin Paperbacks, the larger ones.

On the copyright page it says First Aladdin paperbacks edition April 2003 but at the same time the page seems to indicate it is an 11th printing (which I find hard to believe).

Anyway, it doesn't have the mixed up pages. It could be a one off which would give it some curiosity value. It can be bound wrong because these paperbacks are "lumbacked" (= glued without stichting or cloth).

Aladdin pbk. is an imprint of Simon & Schuster, NY (mentioned on the back cover).

The cover art is by O'Lanso Gabbidon, who did all three covers in this Aladdin Harper Hall trilogy and who didn't come up with real new stuff as all three are variations, hmm... I'd even say copies! of Rowena Morrill's covers for the trilogy published earlier. If I wouldn't know better I'd call Gabbidon's work stealing

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4 2007, 08:20 PM   #7
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

It's definitely derivative artwork, but the publisher may have retained the right to have derivative work made from the Rowena covers, and likely directed the new artist as to what they wanted to see.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5 2007, 04:20 AM   #8
Hans
Master Archivist

That's undoubtedly/hopefully what happened because, as I said, any other way would seem like stealing

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Oct 5 2007, 09:03 AM   #9
Shalyn

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.
Fan of: Dragonflight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
On the copyright page it says First Aladdin paperbacks edition April 2003 but at the same time the page seems to indicate it is an 11th printing (which I find hard to believe).
I list a lot of books on eBay, and see this a lot - where it states when the first printing is, but the page indicates a later printing.

Not being a collector or real conversant in this, I have decided to make the assumption that the publisher is stating when the first printing of this particular edition is, where the publication page numbers indicate when, in this particular run, this book was printed.

But I'm only thinking logically.
Shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5 2007, 11:42 AM   #10
Deester
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalyn View Post
I list a lot of books on eBay, and see this a lot - where it states when the first printing is, but the page indicates a later printing.

Not being a collector or real conversant in this, I have decided to make the assumption that the publisher is stating when the first printing of this particular edition is, where the publication page numbers indicate when, in this particular run, this book was printed.

Im not conversant in it all either. What are the publication page numbers?
Old Oct 5 2007, 11:55 AM   #11
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalyn View Post

Shalyn, it is quite normal to only state the first printing and then indicated the book is a 5th, a 13th, a 23rd etc. and they way you think is indeed the way it normally is.

The unusual thing here is that Aladdin (IMHO) canhardly have reached an 11th printing of this title (unless they only made a few hundred each time, which would be ridiculous). So what I suspect is happening here is that Simon & Schuster count earlier prints that were done with different covers (?) I mean, these pbks/tbps have only been around since 2003 and the much, much more printed and sold Bantam editions (2 different ones) reached 20 in ten years (1976-1986), are either published in very low amounts or that they count other "predecessors or that they have counted some Bantam stuff (after all the covers of these latest Aladdin's are derivates of the Rowena second series Bantam covers). Eh... I'm rambling

Old Oct 5 2007, 12:02 PM   #12
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deester View Post
Im not conversant in it all either. What are the publication page numbers?
By publication page numbers, Shalyn means the numbers mentioned on the copyright page (the page with the data and copyright message).

UK papaberacks, and sometimes US ones (like in this case) will state that a first printing/edition was in a certain year (sometimes month given too).
Then further down on the page they state a "number line" that usually shows the numbers 1-10 in sometimes differetn orders. When the number one is still mentioned you have a true first: a first printing of the first edition.
When the line diesn't contain numbers 1-10 but e.g. numbers 11-20 you have a first edition, 11th printing. The first edition indicates that nothing is changed in the book and that it is still published under the same ISBN number. If anything is revised a Second Edition is born. First Edition used to mean printed from the same plates (which could have many printings) but nowadays that technique is old and not used anymore.
With very popular books, e.g. Dragonflight US paperback, you might find: First Del Rey Editon 1968 on the copyright page but the number line starting with numvers in the forties!

Old Oct 5 2007, 01:11 PM   #13
Deester
Inactive

Ok so mine has a number line going from 10 to 1 (10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1). So what does that make mine? Sorry my brains are addled today and dont want to work right...LOL.
Old Oct 5 2007, 03:20 PM   #14
Hans
Master Archivist

That makes yours a "true first", a first printing of the first edition; the most sought after kind of book usually, of any title or edition.

Having said that, however. The title under discussion here is a (relatively recently published) (trade) paperback of a title that has already been published well over thrity years ago in a hardcover edition and after that in several different spftcover/paperback editions and thus only of value for nutters like me (and a few others) that either collect different editions and/or cover art

Stil, a first printing of any book, especially one you like, is a nice thing to have. Value is also very much created by how many are in exitence and since you have a possible rare misprint it could be of some value to someone who collects that. As far as I see it that would only be a few dollars though.

Old Jan 7 2008, 08:37 PM   #15
Deester
Inactive

I never got back to this and it kinda fell to the wayside for me...sorry bout that. Anyway I will be offering this book for sale. As I bought it for my daughter I let her decide and she has decided to sell it and add the few bucks to her savings account...she is suchh a good kid!

So any takers here? I will take the first good offer!