A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Feb 17 2009, 11:03 AM   #401
GHarris
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Gender: M
Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyrlady View Post
So ya like Eric Bana, Lady M.? He is such a cutie. He played Eowynn's brother (Eomer?) in Lord of the Rings.

How about we switch them, and make Christian Bale for F'nor (does he really have bright blue eyes like he did in The Dark Knight?) and Eric Bana for F'lar? They're both such lookers maybe that'd work!
Karl Urban played Eomer in LotR.

Eric Bana was the Hulk in the one directed by Ang Lee with Jennifer Connelly as Betsy Ross (not the recent Incredible Hulk with Edward Norton and Liv Tyler, who was in LotR).

It's interesting that both Eric Bana and Karl Urban are going to be in the new Star Trek movie.
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18 2009, 12:47 AM   #402
Lady Maelin
Master Artist


 
Lady Maelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: California
Gender: F
Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Eric Bana was also in *Troy*, and was fantastic in it. He is an excellent actor...as well as looking like the perfect F'lar...IMHO!!

Don't care for Karl Urban, as far as being a good F'lar or F'nor...but he might make a good Dragonrider.
__________________
"To the Horsehead Nebula and back we shall make beautiful music"..."Together!"

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20 2009, 12:21 AM   #403
ElectricDragon
Inactive
 
ElectricDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Between
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
Eric Bana was also in *Troy*, and was fantastic in it. He is an excellent actor...as well as looking like the perfect F'lar...IMHO!!

Don't care for Karl Urban, as far as being a good F'lar or F'nor...but he might make a good Dragonrider.
I think Eric Bana's an excellent actor, but I'm locked in on Clive Owen for F'lar. I'm sure I could find a use for Bana, and he might make an excellent F'nor.

I also think Karl Urban is an excellent actor and might be another candidate for the likes of Toric. If I cast him as sure, I might move Tahmoh Penikett to playing N'ton.
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20 2009, 12:43 AM   #404
Lady Maelin
Master Artist


 
Lady Maelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: California
Gender: F
Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Now I will agree with you there...Clive Owen would make a fantastic F'lar, and Eric Bana would make a very believable F'nor...I think you've got it, this sound perfect.

Well I don't care for your Tahmoh Penikett...for N'ton...but I haven't found anyone yet to come back with either. Put some blonde hair on Karl Urban...and he might make a decent Toric..but I would rather see a much bigger hunkier man in that spot..more like Toric is written in the book...lots of confidence and attitude.
__________________
"To the Horsehead Nebula and back we shall make beautiful music"..."Together!"

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20 2009, 11:55 PM   #405
ElectricDragon
Inactive
 
ElectricDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Between
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
Now I will agree with you there...Clive Owen would make a fantastic F'lar, and Eric Bana would make a very believable F'nor...I think you've got it, this sound perfect.

Well I don't care for your Tahmoh Penikett...for N'ton...but I haven't found anyone yet to come back with either. Put some blonde hair on Karl Urban...and he might make a decent Toric..but I would rather see a much bigger hunkier man in that spot..more like Toric is written in the book...lots of confidence and attitude.
I settled on Owen, vice Bana and a few other prospects because there is a certain gravitas, a certain conviction that Owen attains that the other choices just seem to miss by a little. You saw it in King Arthur, and you even saw it in Sin City. Owen's intensity is exactly as I've always seen F'lar in my mind's eye. The actor's actual personality also meshes to a certain extent.
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21 2009, 10:37 PM   #406
Lady Maelin
Master Artist


 
Lady Maelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: California
Gender: F
Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Clive was fantastic in King Arthur, but after two and a half minutes, I realized that Sin City just wasn't for me...way to much pointless violence. But he was also incredible as the prison gardener in *Greenthumb*.
I hadn't thought of Clive, before you mention him...but the more I think about him the better he gets, and the more I want to thank you for putting him forth. I might just might have to do a quick *F'lar*pencil portrait of him, to see just how great he does fit F'lar.
__________________
"To the Horsehead Nebula and back we shall make beautiful music"..."Together!"

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22 2009, 02:15 AM   #407
ElectricDragon
Inactive
 
ElectricDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Between
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
Clive was fantastic in King Arthur, but after two and a half minutes, I realized that Sin City just wasn't for me...way to much pointless violence. But he was also incredible as the prison gardener in *Greenthumb*.
I hadn't thought of Clive, before you mention him...but the more I think about him the better he gets, and the more I want to thank you for putting him forth. I might just might have to do a quick *F'lar*pencil portrait of him, to see just how great he does fit F'lar.
You're welcome and I'm sure all here will be happy to see the result of your work.
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22 2009, 06:33 PM   #408
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling
 
Weyrlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sedona, Arizona USA
Gender: F
Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
Clive was fantastic in King Arthur, but after two and a half minutes, I realized that Sin City just wasn't for me...way to much pointless violence. But he was also incredible as the prison gardener in *Greenthumb*.
I hadn't thought of Clive, before you mention him...but the more I think about him the better he gets, and the more I want to thank you for putting him forth. I might just might have to do a quick *F'lar*pencil portrait of him, to see just how great he does fit F'lar.
I'd be very interested in seeing that, Maelin!!

Thanks for straightening me out, GH! Just because Eric Bana is not who I thought he was, doesn't mean that he has to stop being a good-looking guy.

I've decided. . . either Christian Bale or Eric Bana as F'nor, and a blue screen as Canth. Being a blue screen at first certainly doesn't mean Canth is less of an individual, or something. Gollum was a blue screen! Half of Star Wars was a blue screen! All the cool people are blue screens. . .
Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22 2009, 11:26 PM   #409
Lady Maelin
Master Artist


 
Lady Maelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: California
Gender: F
Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Ok ElelectricDragon...I took your idea of Clive Owen for *F'lar* and did this quick sketch. I hope this looks something like you thought he would.

http://forums.srellim.org/showthread...571#post135571
__________________
"To the Horsehead Nebula and back we shall make beautiful music"..."Together!"

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23 2009, 12:07 AM   #410
ElectricDragon
Inactive
 
ElectricDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Between
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
Ok ElelectricDragon...I took your idea of Clive Owen for *F'lar* and did this quick sketch. I hope this looks something like you thought he would.

http://forums.srellim.org/showthread...571#post135571
Outstanding! I like the tension at the inner points of the eyebrows. You caught the character at an unguarded moment, but as always, something serious is on his mind...
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23 2009, 01:00 AM   #411
Lady Maelin
Master Artist


 
Lady Maelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: California
Gender: F
Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Thank you very kindly ElectricDragon...I was hoping you'd like it. You and I might disagree on some points of discussion...but it does seem to work quite nicely when we find a place where we can agree.
__________________
"To the Horsehead Nebula and back we shall make beautiful music"..."Together!"

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24 2009, 10:44 PM   #412
ElectricDragon
Inactive
 
ElectricDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Between
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
Thank you very kindly ElectricDragon...I was hoping you'd like it. You and I might disagree on some points of discussion...but it does seem to work quite nicely when we find a place where we can agree.
I think people are generally a little too ready to get wrapped up in disagreements and differences. Open minds seldom build up enough pressure to blow steam out the ears. I've noticed that most spats start when one part has a fixed perception and rebels against it being challenged.
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24 2009, 11:02 PM   #413
Lady Maelin
Master Artist


 
Lady Maelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: California
Gender: F
Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

ElectricDragon...or when the parties disagreeing just haven't taken the time to really listen to whats been said.
__________________
"To the Horsehead Nebula and back we shall make beautiful music"..."Together!"

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24 2009, 11:47 PM   #414
ElectricDragon
Inactive
 
ElectricDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Between
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
ElectricDragon...or when the parties disagreeing just haven't taken the time to really listen to whats been said.
Bingo! Or they fail to read what was written in favor of what they thought was written.
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28 2009, 02:13 AM   #415
Lady Maelin
Master Artist


 
Lady Maelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: California
Gender: F
Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Thats about it...hearing what was acutally said, instead of what you thought you heard. At least when its written you have the chance to go and read it again and double check...if a person cares to take the time... that is.


Sooooooooooooooooo who do you see as Fandarel??? Just to get the ball rolling again...
__________________
"To the Horsehead Nebula and back we shall make beautiful music"..."Together!"

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1 2009, 02:02 AM   #416
ElectricDragon
Inactive
 
ElectricDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Between
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
Thats about it...hearing what was acutally said, instead of what you thought you heard. At least when its written you have the chance to go and read it again and double check...if a person cares to take the time... that is.


Sooooooooooooooooo who do you see as Fandarel??? Just to get the ball rolling again...
Honestly, I like Oliver Platt for Fandarel. He's a very versatile actor. He's also a very big guy. Might have to work out a little bit for the part, but that has been done before.
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1 2009, 09:42 AM   #417
Emeraldrose
Holder
Drudge
 
Emeraldrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tennessee
Gender: F
Fan of: Dragonriders Series
Now Reading: The Great Hunt Robert Jordan
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

I will repeat my selection of Michael Clarke Duncan but thinking of Fandarel made me think of his "opposite" Wansor...He seems to be a smaller person (I know everyone is smaller than Fandarel) but self-effacing or twitchy ....not exactly Don Knotts but that body type maybe...Wally Cox? I guess those are too extreme. I can visualize various characters but will need to do some research...Does anyone else see him differently.
More confident and bolder than DK or WC. I don't have books in this room so trying to go on memory...Wansor is older isn't he...I know he joins Lytol and D'ram at Cove Hold after Robinton dies. Terry is Fandarel's assistant...Not such a blacksmith build but not really tiny either...Efficient though...

Also have been watching NCIS with my husband...Mark Harmon could find a place on Pern. Lord Holder more likely than Dragonrider....Lytol? Larad?
Emeraldrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1 2009, 12:36 PM   #418
GHarris
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Gender: M
Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldrose View Post
I will repeat my selection of Michael Clarke Duncan
I second this, and his voice is deeper than Oliver Platt's voice. I want to hear MCD say "Efficiency!"

But to be honest, any number of older actors could play Wandsor. You'd just want someone that could appear intelligent and unassuming. Maybe the way that Brent Spiner played Data's creator in ST:TNG.

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1 2009, 03:54 PM   #419
Emeraldrose
Holder
Drudge
 
Emeraldrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tennessee
Gender: F
Fan of: Dragonriders Series
Now Reading: The Great Hunt Robert Jordan
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Maybe the way that Brent Spiner played Data's creator in ST:TNG.
Or the slightly odd manner he used in Independence Day...
Emeraldrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1 2009, 04:56 PM   #420
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
 
Kugai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Wellington NEW ZEALAND
Gender: M
Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Wilfred Brimley as Wansor?
__________________
JAMES THE
You can never have too much Coffee

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1 2009, 10:52 PM   #421
Lady Maelin
Master Artist


 
Lady Maelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: California
Gender: F
Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Electric Dragon...Honestly, I like Oliver Platt for Fandarel. He's a very versatile actor. He's also a very big guy. Might have to work out a little bit for the part, but that has been done before.
WOW Electric...Oh I didn't even think of him...he's perfect. I loved him in *Bicentennial Man*he was incredible...and he was a future day Fandarel in that...a genius of an inventor too. I have only been thinking of Robbie Coltrane...large and brilliant with a huge amount of character in his face. I really like the looks of Robbie, but I think Oliver would be even more magnificent as Fandarel. Once again we agree...and with such a fabulous find...Thank you so much for finding him.
__________________
"To the Horsehead Nebula and back we shall make beautiful music"..."Together!"

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1 2009, 11:02 PM   #422
ElectricDragon
Inactive
 
ElectricDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Between
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
WOW Electric...Oh I didn't even think of him...he's perfect. I loved him in *Bicentennial Man*he was incredible...and he was a future day Fandarel in that...a genius of an inventor too. I have only been thinking of Robbie Coltrane...large and brilliant with a huge amount of character in his face. I really like the looks of Robbie, but I think Oliver would be even more magnificent as Fandarel. Once again we agree...and with such a fabulous find...Thank you so much for finding him.
Do we really disagree that much?

You're welcome to the suggestion, of course. Always happy to help.
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1 2009, 11:08 PM   #423
Lady Maelin
Master Artist


 
Lady Maelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: California
Gender: F
Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Emeraldrose...I really like Michael Clarke Duncan too, but I think he would make a much better Dragonrider, than he would be as Fandarel. I also don't see Brent Spiner as Wansor...I see him a tad older and more on the plump side and somewhat absentminded.

Kugai's, Wilfred Brimley looks a great deal more the part, but his voice and manner isn't right though but his looks are certainly very, very close...even though I think I would want him a bit younger, but still grey haired.
__________________
"To the Horsehead Nebula and back we shall make beautiful music"..."Together!"

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1 2009, 11:11 PM   #424
Lady Maelin
Master Artist


 
Lady Maelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: California
Gender: F
Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Not that much actually...as I have also been noticing. Weeeeeell unless were talking about Lessa...then you take your corner and I will take mine...then let the referee call us to the center ring. It has been fun going round and round with you though.
__________________
"To the Horsehead Nebula and back we shall make beautiful music"..."Together!"

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2 2009, 12:22 AM   #425
ElectricDragon
Inactive
 
ElectricDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Between
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
Not that much actually...as I have also been noticing. Weeeeeell unless were talking about Lessa...then you take your corner and I will take mine...then let the referee call us to the center ring. It has been fun going round and round with you though.
I've nothing against presenting a well-reasoned argument and engaging in a bit of persuasion, but ultimately I've no emotional investment in the matter.

After all, in a thousand years, who's going to care?
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2 2009, 01:04 AM   #426
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling
 
Weyrlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sedona, Arizona USA
Gender: F
Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

E-Dragon, did you change your avatar? I like it. Is that dragon bronze or brown?

Anyway, personally I always envision Mastersmith Fandarel as someone who's HUGE (physically), absolutely brilliant and willing to think outside the box, and just as gentle as he is strong. Maybne Robbie Coltrane. . . maybe someone else.
Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2 2009, 08:39 AM   #427
Emeraldrose
Holder
Drudge
 
Emeraldrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tennessee
Gender: F
Fan of: Dragonriders Series
Now Reading: The Great Hunt Robert Jordan
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Noah Wylie could also find a home on PERN...He has recently returned as John Carter to ER...He has a very expressive face (IMO) and could be a young Robinton. If a bit older could be Lytol (he is able to play "sad" very well but funny also)
I suppose he is too old for F'Lessan (unless we deal with Skies)
Emeraldrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2 2009, 10:32 AM   #428
GHarris
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Gender: M
Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
Emeraldrose...I really like Michael Clarke Duncan too, but I think he would make a much better Dragonrider, than he would be as Fandarel. I also don't see Brent Spiner as Wansor...I see him a tad older and more on the plump side and somewhat absentminded.
I'd feel sorry for any dragon that had to carry MCD.

MCD is 6' 5" (1.96 m) and has to be over 300#. I also see MCD as being more heavily muscled than either Robbie or Oliver, and as the Master Smith, he would have tremendous upper body strength from all of the smithing.

Robbie Coltrane is 6' 1" (1.85 m), but I doubt if he is over 300#.

Oliver Platt is 6' 3½" (1.92 m)

I still se MCD as being the more "huge" character that MCD is described as. I could easily see either Robbie or Oliver as being Lord Groghe who is also supposed to be a large man. I think I'd rather see Robbie as Lord Groghe. And then Oliver Platt could be Shonagar. (You can switch these last two more easily I think.)

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2 2009, 09:31 PM   #429
ElectricDragon
Inactive
 
ElectricDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Between
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyrlady View Post
E-Dragon, did you change your avatar? I like it. Is that dragon bronze or brown?

Anyway, personally I always envision Mastersmith Fandarel as someone who's HUGE (physically), absolutely brilliant and willing to think outside the box, and just as gentle as he is strong. Maybne Robbie Coltrane. . . maybe someone else.
Just one of the generic ones they have. Tripped over the things while I was taking care of something else. It says "bronze" on the label, but it looks more coppery to me. Was thinking of throwing up the High Reaches emblem then realized someone was already using it...
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2 2009, 11:28 PM   #430
Lady Maelin
Master Artist


 
Lady Maelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: California
Gender: F
Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHarris View Post
I'd feel sorry for any dragon that had to carry MCD.

MCD is 6' 5" (1.96 m) and has to be over 300#. I also see MCD as being more heavily muscled than either Robbie or Oliver, and as the Master Smith, he would have tremendous upper body strength from all of the smithing.

Robbie Coltrane is 6' 1" (1.85 m), but I doubt if he is over 300#.

Oliver Platt is 6' 3½" (1.92 m)

I still se MCD as being the more "huge" character that MCD is described as. I could easily see either Robbie or Oliver as being Lord Groghe who is also supposed to be a large man. I think I'd rather see Robbie as Lord Groghe. And then Oliver Platt could be Shonagar. (You can switch these last two more easily I think.)
GH
In the Harper Hall trilogy...Shonagar is described as an extremely large man. tRobin Wood depicted him as an overly large Asian looking man. I didn't see him quite like that in the face...
http://forums.srellim.org/showpost.p...92&postcount=2

I just realized he does look a little bit like either one of Oliver or Robbie in the face.
__________________
"To the Horsehead Nebula and back we shall make beautiful music"..."Together!"

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2 2009, 11:56 PM   #431
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling
 
Weyrlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sedona, Arizona USA
Gender: F
Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricDragon View Post
Just one of the generic ones they have. Tripped over the things while I was taking care of something else. It says "bronze" on the label, but it looks more coppery to me. Was thinking of throwing up the High Reaches emblem then realized someone was already using it...
Don't copy my emblem! (Actually, that's kind of flattering!) There's nothing wrong with a coppery dragon, though, I have to admit, brown dragons rooool! So there.
Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3 2009, 10:47 AM   #432
GHarris
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Gender: M
Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
In the Harper Hall trilogy...Shonagar is described as an extremely large man. Robin Wood depicted him as an overly large Asian looking man. I didn't see him quite like that in the face...
http://forums.srellim.org/showpost.p...92&postcount=2

I just realized he does look a little bit like either one of Oliver or Robbie in the face.
There you go. Great minds think alike!

And I've been thinking lately about Menolly, and that picture (even though it is from the back) makes me think of a person that at one time would have been perfect for Menolly. Tori Amos



Somebody else may have mentioned her, but she is thin, has the wild red hair that is often used in Menolly's portraits, can definitely sing, and not a bad actress.

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3 2009, 11:28 PM   #433
ElectricDragon
Inactive
 
ElectricDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Between
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Amos is certainly too old for a young Menolly now. Question: Was Menolly a red-head?

Aside:

Odd thing about Tori Amos: just about every female singer I like simply adores her work and cites her influence. However, I have yet to hear anything by her that I like. Strange.
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3 2009, 11:31 PM   #434
ElectricDragon
Inactive
 
ElectricDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Between
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyrlady View Post
Don't copy my emblem! (Actually, that's kind of flattering!) There's nothing wrong with a coppery dragon, though, I have to admit, brown dragons rooool! So there.
I had no intention of copying you. The notion stemmed from the fact that I'm from the PNW, and High Reaches is the PNW of Pern.
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3 2009, 11:57 PM   #435
Cheryl
Master Archivist
 
Cheryl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Maryland, USA
Gender: F
Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

I don't think Menolly was ever said to have red hair, but she is quite often depicted that way on covers.
__________________
Visit one of the other sites of Cheryl's Anne McCaffrey Triad:
Sariel's Guide to Pern: a detailed guide to the series
The Many Works of Anne McCaffrey: largest fan site about Anne and ALL of her works
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4 2009, 02:17 AM   #436
Brenda
Senior Member
 
Brenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: St. Louis
Gender: F
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Yeah, there's one set that has that bright orange-red hair. I always pictured brown hair.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4 2009, 12:41 PM   #437
GHarris
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Gender: M
Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
I don't think Menolly was ever said to have red hair, but she is quite often depicted that way on covers.
I agree, that's why I phrased it the way that I did.

And, ED, I agree that she would be too old now, thus, the "at one time" phrase.

I'll have to see how close she is to LadyM's thought of how Menolly should look.

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4 2009, 05:43 PM   #438
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer
 
Anareth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Here and There
Gender: F
Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricDragon View Post
I had no intention of copying you. The notion stemmed from the fact that I'm from the PNW, and High Reaches is the PNW of Pern.
psst...I think all those are public anyhow. I used to use the HRW one until Lady M did my portrait.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5 2009, 12:49 AM   #439
ElectricDragon
Inactive
 
ElectricDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Between
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anareth View Post
psst...I think all those are public anyhow. I used to use the HRW one until Lady M did my portrait.
psst...I know that. Just sharing a moment on the matter with the esteemed companion from Arizona.
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5 2009, 12:50 AM   #440
ElectricDragon
Inactive
 
ElectricDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Between
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHarris View Post
I agree, that's why I phrased it the way that I did.

And, ED, I agree that she would be too old now, thus, the "at one time" phrase.

I'll have to see how close she is to LadyM's thought of how Menolly should look.

GH
I was agreeing with you.
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pern Book, Short Story, and Miscellany List; Common Abbreviations Cheryl Dragonriders of Pern 1 Jun 28 2008 09:53 AM
Collecting Highlight (43) - The Atlas of Pern c.s. Hans Collecting Highlights Archives 23 Feb 25 2007 09:30 PM
Pern movie deal with Copperheart Entertainment Cheryl Café Archives 63 Nov 11 2006 03:03 AM
Pern movie deal with Copperheart Entertainment Cheryl Announcements 2 May 26 2006 06:19 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

A Meeting of Minds forum owned by Cheryl B. Miller.
All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey’s fiction are copyright © Anne McCaffrey 1967-2008, all rights reserved, and used by permission of the author.