A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Library Foyer > Announcements

Announcements Official announcements about this site, its sister sites, and news about Anne in general such as upcoming books and personal appearances.

Old May 25 2006, 11:25 PM   #1
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Post Pern movie deal with Copperheart Entertainment

It's been officially announced, finally! As lucky host Anneli learned when she went to Anne's 80th birthday party, there is a new movie deal between Anne and Copperheart Entertainment to produce a Pern movie. It seems the whole series has been optioned (which I think would be typical), so we may get multiple movies if the first one does well.

Of course we're not gonna hold our breath given how many times Pern has come close to the large and small screen before, but this is a very promising development. And now you know why that Pern concept art was probably produced...

Here's the SciFi Wire article
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2006, 03:38 PM   #2
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Now Reading: Dragonflight
Default Re: Pern movie deal with Copperheart Entertainment

I can't believe it took nearly two months for the news to get around I've been sitting on my fingers just waiting for it to be announced officially so we can start nattering about it all over the internet
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2006, 06:19 PM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Default Re: Pern movie deal with Copperheart Entertainment

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/film/brief_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002575496

The link "Copperheart options Dragon Riders of Pern" Copperheart have on their own site (www.copperheart.ca) points to this article:

May 25, 2006

'Pern' booked for big-screen flight

Anne McCaffrey's best-selling and long-running sci-fi/fantasy series "The Dragonriders of Pern" is getting the big-screen treatment via Canadian production company Copperheart Entertainment. Copperheart, which was behind the 2005 Oscar-winning animated short "Ryan," has optioned the 19-book series, which began with the "Dragonflight" in 1968. The books are best known for having humans ride dragons with which they telepathically bond. With "Dragonflight," McCaffrey became the first woman ever to win a Hugo for fiction, and she is one of the 2006 inductees into the Science Fiction Hall of Fame. (Borys Kit)

full story:

May 25, 2006

'Pern' booked for big-screen flight

By Borys Kit

Anne McCaffrey's best-selling and long-running sci-fi/fantasy series "The Dragonriders of Pern" is getting the big-screen treatment via Canadian production company Copperheart Entertainment.

Copperheart, which was behind the 2005 Oscar-winning animated short "Ryan," has optioned the 19-book series, which began with the "Dragonflight" in 1968. The books are best known for having humans ride dragons with which they telepathically bond. With "Dragonflight," McCaffrey became the first woman ever to win a Hugo for fiction, and she is one of the 2006 inductees into the Science Fiction Hall of Fame.

"I decided that 'Pern' had to be done right, and I wouldn't let it go to someone unless I was certain that they were committed to excellence," McCaffrey said.

Copperheart, run by Steve Hoban, also has produced the Imax 3-D movie "Cyberworld" as well as the popular "Ginger Snaps" horror series. Hoban is in postproduction on the remake of the 1970s horror cult classic "Black Christmas."

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote