A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Nov 20 2014, 06:18 PM   #1
Dragon Fan

Fan of: The Smallest Dragonboy
Now Reading: The Rift
Default Screenwriter hired for Pern movie(s)

Anyone heard anything about this Writer?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...lands-a-750512
Old Nov 20 2014, 10:28 PM   #2
Lily

Default Re: Screenwriter hired for Pern movie(s)

This is interesting. Any of us on FaceBook should keep an eye on her page. I'll still believe it when I see it though.
Old Nov 21 2014, 12:33 AM   #3
Dragon Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily View Post
This is interesting. Any of us on FaceBook should keep an eye on her page. I'll still believe it when I see it though.
Same here, too many false starts in the past, when I am in a theater watching ..........i will believe it.
Old Nov 21 2014, 03:02 PM   #4
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment

Indeed

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21 2014, 03:10 PM   #5
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

I thought this whole story about WB optioning the rights had been "shot down" by several people here?! I agree, I'll believe it when I see it.
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21 2014, 06:49 PM   #6
BronzeRider
Glow

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Chronicles of Pern: First Fall

There isn't much that comes up using Ixquick (I don't google, sorry), but she is credited for writing a horror movie called "The Forest" that is in pre-production now, scheduled for release in 2016, and she has a book, "What I Had Before I Had You" that seems non-fantasy/sci-fi, but that doesn't really mean anything.

I haven't looked up reviews on her book, but the blurbs on the book page always say encouraging things to help sell it.

She might be able to write a half-decent treatment of DRoP, but I am certain it won't be the DRoP we all love & want to see on the screen.

Luckily, I am quite better off collecting Marvel movies & Dr. Who on dvd. And far more satisfied than I would be pining for a DRoP movie, good, bad, or just passable.
BronzeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22 2014, 12:24 AM   #7
tatiana
Journeyman

Fan of: Dragonsong
Now Reading: A Storm of Swords

I've followed her on FB, in case she posts any updates...

I did find this article shortly after Sarah Cornwell's debut novel was published which mentions a bit of her screenwriting:
http://www.austinchronicle.com/daily...the-boardwalk/

Quote:
Quote:
AC: How did writing a novel compare to writing screenplays? Have the two crafts informed each other?

SC: Writing a novel took me 10 years! I hope the second one doesn’t take that long… Novel-writing is like a relationship you must nurture through hard times, and which ultimately rewards you in a profound and personal way. Screenplays are more like short stories, both in their possible scope and in their highest rewards: moments of otherwise inarticulable insight into a circumstance, a moment, a slice of life. In my screenwriting, it is a thrill to work in a collaborative medium, and to make use of visual storytelling tools (a director will change and interpret and hopefully improve what I’ve written, and actors will add complexity and depth to my characters) but it’s also frustrating to lose the flexibility of prose, where you can follow a thought process or a memory, and need not be bound to visible action. Working in two mediums has brought me invaluable insights; clarifying the distinctions between the two forms has helped me to make better and more conscious use of the tools each medium affords. I have my mentors at the Michener Center to thank for that – for forcing me to try screenwriting, something totally new, and for knowing it would open doors both creatively and professionally.
My Facebook Page
tatiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22 2014, 02:38 AM   #8
Spock
Jewel Junk

Fan of: The Smallest Dragon Boy
Now Reading: DragonWriter

Why would they start with Dragonriders of Pern though? That may have been the first published but it isn't the first "chronologically".

Having said that, if they film it, I will see it, no matter where it starts.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22 2014, 01:49 PM   #9
tatiana
Journeyman

Fan of: Dragonsong
Now Reading: A Storm of Swords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
Why would they start with Dragonriders of Pern though? That may have been the first published but it isn't the first "chronologically".

I would think it's due to that first trilogy out of the entire book series, "Dragonflight", being the most popular (and likely with the most sales outside of "White Dragon"), especially when also considered from an introduction standpoint to new audiences/different generation and what's currently popular/ticket sales/bestselling new books. And look at the way they're focusing on the young woman hero (Lessa) in the way they're now presenting the story...think about it from a Hunger Games/Divergent standpoint, and the way the screenplay could emphasize not only the strong young woman as leading character, but also the fantastic world building.

The target audience won't be only the original fans of the series watching the movie (potential franchise), but, IMO, primarily the new viewers for a different visual medium (YA readers/viewers/fantasy & sci-fi fans) and what would be the best way to sell seats/related product, etc. to them.

I have the book by the Sarah Cornwell on my library pull list, as I'm curious to read the kind of voice she writes, at least in novel form. As I'm soooo NOT a fan of New Jersey Housewives (read an article that mentions that aspect of the novel) and am definitely not a fan of reality tv drama, I'm crossing my fingers that she somehow managed to put an interesting spin on it...and that might carry over into her screenwriting as well.

Fingers crossed!
My Facebook Page
tatiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22 2014, 04:04 PM   #10
Dragon Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post

This is in "moho" where the meat of the Pern stories begins, ( none of Todd's ) All the other books in other Passes, are branches and/or results of stories within this 9th Pass,
What concerns me more is this line from the web page " restore the ancient tradition of dragon-riding and uncover the secret history of the planet." Is this an indication they are going to Twist the story line? Dragonriding didn't need restoring. And What Secret of the planet did I miss that wasn't explained in the forewards?
Old Nov 22 2014, 05:53 PM   #11
Lily

If a movie starts with Lessa, before the start of the Ninth Pass, the ancient tradition could be that although the dragon riders have kept up fighting thread techniques, it has become more of a game. And the "secret history" - AIVAS?

If the worst thing this woman does with a script is turn Lessa and F'lar into a sexy romance - well I guess I could live with that. A little.
Old Nov 22 2014, 10:24 PM   #12
Dragon Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily View Post
If a movie starts with Lessa, before the start of the Ninth Pass, the ancient tradition could be that although the dragon riders have kept up fighting thread techniques, it has become more of a game. And the "secret history" - AIVAS?

If the worst thing this woman does with a script is turn Lessa and F'lar into a sexy romance - well I guess I could live with that. A little.
As good a translation as another, but please not a Romance, And if it is made, I hope a good interface is used between Dragon/rider/storyline, I would hate to see a bunch of blank eyed people standing around with others commenting " oh, they are talking to their Dragon"
Old Nov 23 2014, 01:33 AM   #13
Spock
Jewel Junk

Fan of: The Smallest Dragon Boy
Now Reading: DragonWriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Fan View Post
... I would hate to see a bunch of blank eyed people standing around with others commenting " oh, they are talking to their Dragon"
I would imagine the best way would be to have voice-overs for when telepathic communication is being used. If the "voice" inflection used for each person/dragon is unique enough it shouldn't be too hard to follow.
Old Nov 23 2014, 03:25 AM   #14
BronzeRider
Glow

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Chronicles of Pern: First Fall

I don't recall which book it was, but somewhere it was mentioned that a dragon 'sounds' a little like their rider when telepathically speaking with another human. That wound make it easier to find voice actors for the dragons; just use the (slightly altered) voice of the actors playing the Dragonriders.
BronzeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24 2014, 05:24 PM   #15
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment

Yes.

They could do what they did with Cumberbatchs voice in The Hobbit films

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26 2014, 12:44 PM   #16
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

I don't think I'd believe much of what is published by a site called The Hollywood Reporter... They're just drumming up something old again, I think.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29 2014, 10:24 PM   #17
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

Dragonflight's the only reasonable place to start. The chronologically-earlier stuff is only interesting if you're already familiar with Pern.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29 2014, 11:54 PM   #18
Between
Slither

Fan of: Pegasus, Pern, & CS
Now Reading: Harper Hall, Eon, The sharing knife:book 4

I don't log in often but I discovered this the day before the news hit *here* and I have some insight I'm going to share....on several things. this post is long, it contains a bunch of honesty and a fair amount of rambling. It pulls very few punches. It tells Hans he is wrong for the right reasons It contains thoughts on Pern as a whole...as a movie and a world. There will be spelling errors and typos, please ignore them I wrote it in sections may have repeated myself somewhere or other...and I've been doing this for an hour...so time to do something else...and hit send.

I have been a Pern fan since I discovered the books as a child...I own them all, re-read them yearly and consider myself a fan...if not particularly fannish . I like far to many different things to be exclusive to one. I am also somewhat familiar with marketing, the industry, and the adaptation process. . Pern remains on my top ten list of movies I most want to see happen...well.

Respectfully Hans, you need to look up the Hollywood Reporter. Its not just some rag reporting old news and you are doing everyone here disservice by dismissing it out of hand like this. It is connected to actual industry insider publications that do things like help people find *jobs* in the industry. This is as close to real as it gets. It is *breaking* news and on the writer's facebook page as well. So yes it is real and current...as far as that goes.

It doesn't mean we get to sit in theaters, and see an at least acceptable Pern...a hell of a lot can happen before then....no one should be holding their breath or driving the woman crazy. But this *is* a real chance...better then anything since the TV series that almost was. I for one, am cautiously excited and hoping they will keep the heart of one of my favorite worlds intact.

I have no idea how the rights left Copperheart and ended up with WB though I have some theory...I also do not *know*why Todd did not confirm when asked but I reached a different conclusion from that then the rest of you...when this news also broke and I did some digging.

Either he was under gag order (yeah those get taken very seriously at times) or no one told him. Lets be brutally frank here, book writers aren't kept in the loop very well a lot of the time...these are Anne's books and she isn't here.

This could be anything from Copperheart selling/trading Pern for reasons, to partnering with WB on this project /many projects (they have already partnered with WB for Splice...and there are a lot of other possibilities.) (Just for example Copperheart may be in the process of being *absorbed* outright by WB. That is just an example.)

Copperheart was always going to have to partner with a bigger player, in some way, shape, or form. Having them pull off Pern and distribute it all by themselves never made a lot of sense to be honest. That major player is WB, mystery solved. Once rights are sold it is entirely possible no one informed Todd of the further deal...its not even surprising that they did not, whether you like it or not....that is how things often work. When/if we see the movie it will have a bunch of logos on it who will have been involved in various ways. If they all work together rather then fighting for territory we get a movie that is hopefully good.

So some things happened after Copperheart got those rights, and one of those was Copperheart trying to get attention from players in the industry....the screenwriting has been passed a few times from writer to writer (Pern is a big chance and also difficult it stayed just on the radar enough...now suddenly a whole new hype starts.) Some of the former people know this new gal and they *think* she is the one. It is being announced to the industry more then the fans right now....which is completely understandable.

WB needs a new franchise, they are right that Pern *could* be it. I wondered when that announcement came out, this is further activity. WB also needs to hype this because they are telling the industry they have a plan now that what they had is over.

Sarah Cornwall (the new screenwriter) is a young female novelist and screenwriter who appears to be under contract to adapt movies and may be a protege (possibly former student as she is a recent graduate) of certain people who were previously involved (not sure but looks that way.) The studio likes her, has a certain amount of control over her (most likely), and thinks she has what it takes to actually make this happen...they may be right

I haven't read her book but its popular and her screenwriting work is on forth-coming stuff. At least she understands both mediums, her books feature psychic ability, and mental illness from the summary I read. They also probably like that she is female, hopefully that means not butchering characters. I have no way to know if she will be writing a script to order or adapting one of my favorite worlds, or what they will do with the script they receive.

What she writes for dragonflight...we will see, but if they like her script it moves to the next stage. We hope it is a script that will do Pern justice while adapting it to succeed.

If she writes a good script, that someone else does not rewrite into garbage (rewrites are common in hollywood), and they get a good director, a solid cast, viable FX, and don't make stupid studio decisions...we get something we can recognize as Pern.

Not identical to our inner vision but enough that a person who understands it is an adaptation will recognize it as *Pern*. It will have the heart of what matters along with little things to make us happy, and not butcher the characters...if we are lucky.

I have seen Hollywood butcher some of my favorite books (Jumper by Stephen Gould vs the movie is one of the worst examples...and please let director Doug Lyman come nowhere near this series because he takes pride in adapting it so far he didn't even need the original book )

I have also seen adaptations that changed things in ways that were understandable without ruining them...only time will tell. Hollywood is getting better at adaptation.

I will be honest, brutally honest...I love Pern but I recognize that certain things *need* to change for it to thrive on the screen. I would love to see an entire franchise because then I get to explore the world for many movies. In my pipe dreams I get a follow up TV series, theme park area, or game that is actually worth playing...a girl can dream. But back to brutal honesty.

I want them to adhere utterly to the *heart and core* of the story. I want them to cameo, hint , and foreshadow the things that will matter in other movies and keep the things that matter most in the characters they do develop in this film. If certain details that do not ruin the core of this story, world, and characters are changed to make it work better, sell better, get a rating, or be a better movie...then they will not bother me.

There are things that we are told about but never see in these books (especially dragonflight)...what if we get to see more of Lessa living in disguise and operating in Ruatha hold before she arranges Fax's demise. The summery implies we may.

Would that bother you because Dragonflight leaps past those years and doesn't really show us what made Lessa?

She grew up a servant in her own home and survived because she had to, she became best friends with the Watch Weyr because she had no one else. She learned betrayal, she learned survival, desperation, to use her power to influence minds. She developed patience. She became a killer, a plotter, a user. She became tough and strong. Yet we know she is not truly evil and becomes a hero. That background makes her the Lessa who is strong and willful enough to do what she does and grow into the strong leader she becomes. I would not mind actually getting to know that child and that woman better. If the first movie ends with her successfully making the leap through time because they put more up front...I could get behind that. And this does not mean the writer will take this path. There are so many ways to tell a story but you have to understand that not all of dragonflight is going to fit in a movie, it just won't, and after dragonflight we have tons of overlapping stories...they are going to have to craft movies out of the series as a whole rather then specific books, IMO.

I don't know about the rest of you but I want to see things integrated properly but that means the equivalent of how I read these to my husband....3 different books open and switching books to follow the interwoven time line....it is the only way we get Dragonsinger/drums/quest/whitedragon/renegades to work. If you think timeline instead of books the only challenge is where to start and end events....and a movie name.

More potential things that might or might not change.

Would it bother you if F'lar doesn't shake Lessa all the time? Would it really bother you if we get to see why Fax deserves to die in a bit more detail?

These are just examples.

Dragonflight was Anne's first book and parts of it are clumsy. First books are like that but it had some good stuff. It also starts out influenced by Cinderella in a big way. A screenwriter can play that up or minimize it...but it is there

The only source of many things that lead up to dragonflight are in other books, that have their own problems and highlights. Parts of Masterharper are really good and provide backstory...parts of it are deeply troubled.

The people Lessa meets in 8th pass change utterly in dragonquest btw with no progression. Wouldn't it be better to try and establish our future players a little better when Lessa meets them and have some logic to how those closest to her end up enemies? Again first book syndrome makes things a bit awkward where the world we meet in Dragonflight does not *quite* sync with that in latter books.

On and then we have the amazing color changing Larth but everyone knows about that.

Heck the series as a whole features tons of overlapping timelines, some absolutely brilliant world building, and a bucket of anne-consistancy...plus time travel (which I love, for the record, but requires careful handling.)

Pern was progressive for its time and is less so now, how much do you change it...the world is an exploration of the degradation and rebirth of a society over time. Parts of how characters behave are artifacts of their world and its devolution/evolution...and parts are Anne and her being a product of her life and her times.

How many times have people on this board complained that for all its progressiveness at the time, Anne rewards women with babies and a seat on the sidelines. And yet this was a world on the edge of a rebirth and awakening it had to have repression first and an uneven progression toward a new world for this to be shown. So part of it is the world we see. The society forgot its past and then rediscovered themselves...that is what Pern is.

Menolly's parents I understood but how F'lar and F'nor act toward the women they supposedly love, here there actually are issues. And the biggest issue is F'nor and one scene.

Do we really want F'nor to *rape* Brekke and for her to then fall for him. Do you need that to get behind the adaptation, I don't.

Lessa and F'lar can kinda be dealt with as is...to some degree...both of them are ruthless and used to violence.

They are complex people who can act in complex ways.

Lessa was something of a conniving wild child who actually does need taming (that comes from how she grew up and the power she has...a character needing to be tamed as opposed to women as a whole...by a hero...we should all be able to accept that).

F'lar has his flaws but if you consider them *both* highly willful people, with strong goals who are partners and have an understanding before they are truly in love...F'lar has flaws so does Lessa...they do bad things to each other especially at first...I can accept that.

Their first time having sex is during Ramoth's mating flight it can work in the narrative, as something other then a condoned rape but still on an edge and dragon related. They are both grey charactors, who will do what they must toward a goal. They are both people who are overwhelmed by strong emotion. Meron and Kylara its an even darker spin and in fact Kylara trying to ape Lessa with someone who doesn't actually have good in him.

F'nor and Brekke are the nice, innocent, uncomplicated pure hero ones and the story says raping the girl he supposedly loves is right and what she needed. Everything else about thier love story, nurse/patient relationship, including her being something of an innocent and him wanting to spare her mating flight sex with someone else/because he loves her, trying to defy convention with Canth, the Queen fight, saving her, going to the red star...everything works if he is not tarnished by rape that is condoned. If there is *one* thing in the entire series that has to change it is making F'nor reprehensible and then saying it is okay.

We could talk about other things in Pern but how they treat sex is going to be a fine line. Frankly I do not want it to be *about* sex...I want it to be about Pern the amazing world with its complex characters and larger then life problems...where people survive against incredible odds, find hope, and find a way to overcome. With dragons and fire lizards and spaceships, and harpers, and everything that makes Pern amazing. The sexuality and sex and attitudes toward women are there both showing the society and the people as things change.

I hope we get a Pern that is about dragonriders, dragons, holders, crafters, dolphins, fire lizards, thread, social conflict, and a complex society that is rediscovering itself and its history. A world that is immersive and fascinating...where I care about these people, forgive the flaws of those I understand, hate the true villains, and cheer for the heroes who triumph despite the odds. A world that blends, science fiction, social commentary, fantasy and more into a rich tapestry with layer after layer to discover.

I can not wait to see today's audiences actually understand the masterful blend of things that makes a dragon series something that is not fantasy. Anyone else want to actually *get* to dragons on a space ship? I do. We have to get through one movie and have it capable of launching a series...a lot is riding on this adaptation but WB wants it and if they succeed on the first movie....we might get it all. This may not happen but to get the whole series we *need* the WB. Cross your fingers people...WB has been doing a reasonable adaptation job in recent years....I want Pern even with some adaptation to succeed as long as the heart and soul are there.

Agree or disagree as you choose...I have said my, well far more then 2 cents
Between is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30 2014, 07:35 AM   #19
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

Lots of two cents, but an interesting take on all of this. Thank you for that!
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2 2014, 12:40 AM   #20
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

Do we have a "like" button? I want to "like" Between's post.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2 2014, 05:13 PM   #21
Lily

Very interesting and thought provoking.
Old Dec 3 2014, 10:36 PM   #22
Dragon Fan

This works, "Between" Liked.
Old Jan 24 2018, 04:30 PM   #23
GHarris

Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Between View Post
What she writes for dragonflight...we will see, but if they like her script it moves to the next stage. We hope it is a script that will do Pern justice while adapting it to succeed.

If she writes a good script, that someone else does not rewrite into garbage (rewrites are common in hollywood), and they get a good director, a solid cast, viable FX, and don't make stupid studio decisions...we get something we can recognize as Pern.

Not identical to our inner vision but enough that a person who understands it is an adaptation will recognize it as *Pern*. It will have the heart of what matters along with little things to make us happy, and not butcher the characters...if we are lucky.

I have seen Hollywood butcher some of my favorite books (Jumper by Stephen Gould vs the movie is one of the worst examples...and please let director Doug Lyman come nowhere near this series because he takes pride in adapting it so far he didn't even need the original book )

I have also seen adaptations that changed things in ways that were understandable without ruining them...only time will tell. Hollywood is getting better at adaptation.

I will be honest, brutally honest...I love Pern but I recognize that certain things *need* to change for it to thrive on the screen. I would love to see an entire franchise because then I get to explore the world for many movies. In my pipe dreams I get a follow up TV series, theme park area, or game that is actually worth playing...a girl can dream. But back to brutal honesty.

I want them to adhere utterly to the *heart and core* of the story. I want them to cameo, hint , and foreshadow the things that will matter in other movies and keep the things that matter most in the characters they do develop in this film. If certain details that do not ruin the core of this story, world, and characters are changed to make it work better, sell better, get a rating, or be a better movie...then they will not bother me.

There are things that we are told about but never see in these books (especially dragonflight)...what if we get to see more of Lessa living in disguise and operating in Ruatha hold before she arranges Fax's demise. The summery implies we may.

Would that bother you because Dragonflight leaps past those years and doesn't really show us what made Lessa?

She grew up a servant in her own home and survived because she had to, she became best friends with the Watch Weyr because she had no one else. She learned betrayal, she learned survival, desperation, to use her power to influence minds. She developed patience. She became a killer, a plotter, a user. She became tough and strong. Yet we know she is not truly evil and becomes a hero. That background makes her the Lessa who is strong and willful enough to do what she does and grow into the strong leader she becomes. I would not mind actually getting to know that child and that woman better. If the first movie ends with her successfully making the leap through time because they put more up front...I could get behind that. And this does not mean the writer will take this path. There are so many ways to tell a story but you have to understand that not all of dragonflight is going to fit in a movie, it just won't, and after dragonflight we have tons of overlapping stories...they are going to have to craft movies out of the series as a whole rather then specific books, IMO.

I don't know about the rest of you but I want to see things integrated properly but that means the equivalent of how I read these to my husband....3 different books open and switching books to follow the interwoven time line....it is the only way we get Dragonsinger/drums/quest/whitedragon/renegades to work. If you think timeline instead of books the only challenge is where to start and end events....and a movie name.

More potential things that might or might not change.

Would it bother you if F'lar doesn't shake Lessa all the time? Would it really bother you if we get to see why Fax deserves to die in a bit more detail?

These are just examples.

Dragonflight was Anne's first book and parts of it are clumsy. First books are like that but it had some good stuff. It also starts out influenced by Cinderella in a big way. A screenwriter can play that up or minimize it...but it is there

The only source of many things that lead up to dragonflight are in other books, that have their own problems and highlights. Parts of Masterharper are really good and provide backstory...parts of it are deeply troubled.

The people Lessa meets in 8th pass change utterly in dragonquest btw with no progression. Wouldn't it be better to try and establish our future players a little better when Lessa meets them and have some logic to how those closest to her end up enemies? Again first book syndrome makes things a bit awkward where the world we meet in Dragonflight does not *quite* sync with that in latter books.

Agree or disagree as you choose...I have said my, well far more then 2 cents
I agree that the important part is to get the heart of the story correct.

Your post gave me an idea. What if the first movie was really Lessa's story, and it goes from when Fax invaded Ruatha (maybe a little before to give some context), to the point where F'lar defeats Fax, Jaxom is born and becomes the Lord of Ruatha (maybe show Lytol being brought in to be the regent), and F'lar talking Lessa into going to the Weyr to be the new Queen Dragonrider (and maybe show them actually going to the Weyr).

The problem with a Dragonrider movie is that the main villain is not "human". Thread is going to be hard to be the antagonist for the movie. Maybe draw people in with a good story about the woman who would be Queen of the Dragons, and her fight to defeat the man that killed her family. That would give Hollywood and audiences someone to root against. And with Fax playing a larger part in a movie than if you did the whole book, you could get a really good actor to play the villain (for some reason, I like Sean Bean as Fax, but they might want to cast someone a little younger).

You would need to show F'lar, and his motivations for going to Fax's lands to do a search. Maybe a little backstory about his father maybe clashing with Fax in the past. You might want to show some of the other Holders (those that were defeated, and those that have to prepare for further Fax expansionism). Groghe might have a small to decent part in a movie like this. Robinton? Maybe he and the Harpers could be the way that the other Lords work to undermine Fax, or at least keep him at bay. And you could be setting up the larger struggle between the Lords and the Weyr, by complaining about tithes.

So, you'd have some time spent on F'lar and the Weyr. You'd have some time spent on the Lord Holders. You'd have some time spent on the Crafts (as they would resent Fax and how he treats the crafts). But most of the movie time would be spent on Fax, Lessa, and how she undermines the prosperity of Ruatha and Fax's stewards, there.

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27 2018, 11:16 PM   #24
Eriflor

If they do the backstory on Fax's expansionism, reports from the Harper Hall's spy network would be an interesting highlight on the Hall's less-known activities. Not too much emphasis on Robinton at this point, but show him to be a person of influence.
Eriflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29 2018, 10:22 AM   #25
Rao
Muskie

Fan of: The whole Pern-Series
Now Reading: Apollo´s Song by Osamu Tezuka

If somebody had asked me some years ago what I would like a Pern movie to be like, it would have been a movie for the big screens in cinemas, of course. A TV series? Impossible then, because the money just wasn´t there for the computer animations needed to make a dragon look real. Let alone whole wings of them, with riders and weyrs and all the stuff you best do with computer animations today.
But, "Game of Thrones" changed that. I love the series!
Everything about this series just looked right and believable, the medieval setting, the actors, the alien cities ... the dragons.
So, if somebody asked me today, I would prefer a whole series for TV. More room to develop charakters, relationships and so on, more room for drama, romance ... and for lots of scenes with dragons, of course. (Never forget about them, they´re what the series is all about!)

I wouldn´t mind, of course, if the book a movie series has to begin with (no questions there!), "Dragonflight", was done as a cinema movie. It was quite common back in the 70s, to create a cinema movie as a pilot episode for a whole series, to be realized or not depending on the success of the pilot movie. But mostly it´s stand-alone movies that spawn their TV series, just remember "Stargate", the movie and all the seasons and spin-offs on TV.

So, if "Dragonflight" starts as a stand-alone movie, the rest (with the same actors!) can appear as well on TV.
If whoever will be producer can get himself an excellent screenwriter, said screenwriter should be able to entwine the storylines of different books which happen in the same timeline into one long story, enabling it to jump in short episodes between the adventures of different main characters, just as GoT does.
For instance, the mainline with Lessa, F´lar and their dragonriders mixes up with the Harper Hall trilogy around Menolly and Piemur, a story which by its own would be too much of "Cinderella", but mixed into the mainline it might just serve as a needed break from the more serious mainline.
Later, when the Dawn Sisters are discovered to be spaceships and the whole series changes in earnest from medieval fantasy to sci-fi, it´s time to mix the stories about the landing on Pern and the first thread falls experienced by the terrified colonists into the "present" storyline around the rediscovered AIVAS and its plans for Pern´s future.
And I´m sure, that somewhere in the definitely more than one TV season you´d get out of all the material that is in the books, there will be space too for the story of Moreta and other episodes that happened somewhen between "present" and "landing".

This way, even somebody who knows the books by heart, would experience new thrills by the way the different books intertwine with each others, knowing what will happen but here, in the TV series, not how exactly.

* Please excuse me poor language, me is German! *
Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29 2018, 11:27 AM   #26
Rao
Muskie

Fan of: The whole Pern-Series
Now Reading: Apollo´s Song by Osamu Tezuka

I can even envision what the beginning of a "Dragonflight"- movie should look like, and it looks like that:

First, there´s just a screen of gray. Haze, fog, a cloud?
Then, suddenly, something´s dangerously whizzing by, just like a projectile. Then more of it, missing the audience seemingly just by inches. (It´s 3D in my fantasy, you know.)
Then the camera seems to turn around (hard to notice with the fog), and the next of those things seem to stop in mid-flight, because the camera now follows them at the same pace, making them seemingly hovering weightless like snowflakes, allowing the audience to examine the alien and deadly silvery beauty of Thread close-up.
Then, suddenly, from out of the picture comes a burst of fire, burning them to ash. More bursts of fires in the distance. The fog lifts, exposing a dawning blue sky, and a wing of fire-spitting dragons with riders, a bronze close by, and behind them in the sky shines like an evil red eye the Red Star.
Then the picture seems to petrify, everything fades into gray and darker tones, holes appear all over and what´s still visible of dragons and men and sky, becomes rough and threadbare - the living picture has changed into an old tapestry that looks like it had been very expensive once, but is now no more than an old rug frequently used to scrub floors. It hangs on a stone wall close to a window with cracked glass in a medieval-looking kitchen. The camera goes down to what looks like another heap of rags lying on the floor beneath the tapestry, but right now that heap of rag stirs, to reveal what looks at first glance like an old woman because she seems to have gray hair and a shallow and very dirty face (the gray is ash carefully applied, the dirt hides a face that is actually quite young - it´s Lessa, of course, in her disguise as kitchen drudge.)
She gets up - it´s morning - stretches a bit, her first glance going to the tapestry, and then out of the window, because there in the dawning sky shines the Red star, just like on the tapestry.
She shudders, and it´s not clear because of some premonition of things to come, or because the broken window lets in the chill from the outside.
Behind her stirs somebody else, it´s a fat cook who was sleeping on the kitchen table, with more heaps of rags/kitchen helpers lying sleeping on the floor around the table (it´s all very dirty and poor-looking, no beds for all of them), he grunts and scratches himself and then starts to bellow orders to wake the people up.
Lessa slips out of the kitchen, unnoticed, and into the watchwher´s kennel, the creature that resembles an ugly mix of hairless dog and small dragon with clipped wings, which awaits her eagerly while already backing away from the increasing daylight.

And what happens then, the movie will tell ...
Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31 2018, 08:43 AM   #27
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

I like that as an opener.
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote