A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Monthly AMC Book Discussions

Monthly AMC Book Discussions Beginning on the 15th of every month, we hold an in-depth discussion of a theme from one or more books. Please join us!
Currently on hiatus.

Old Jul 3 2007, 04:26 PM   #1
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman
Default Pegasus in Space 2

Discuss: Pegasus in Space has Callisto set up by Peter Reidinger the first.

In The Rowan SHE sets it up (P'ter)
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5 2007, 02:58 PM   #2
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly
Default Re: Pegasus in Space 2

Okay I spotted it so I'll have a go.

Is this a known Anne-omaly? (Or can I claim a second one?) There's got to be over a hundred years of time line.

Both stories are internally logical and both characters have logical reasons for setting up there.

The descriptions of the set-up are also very different. Reidinger's setting seems to be inside a hollowed out asteroid inserted into an orbit around Callisto.

The Rowan's is a multi-domed set-up on the surface of Callisto itself.

Perhaps the asteroid wasn't sustainable?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5 2007, 05:23 PM   #3
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Fan of: The Ship Series
Now Reading: Dragonheart, baby!

I know it's not really fair for me to comment when I don't have the books to hand. However, I am going to have a go from memory (lord help us all).

IIRC, Peter used an asteroid which he moved into place as the base for his Tower which became known as Callisto. Perhaps over time something happened to the orbit or it was abandoned when the main centre was set up back on Earth?

And then it wasn't required again until later on when Rowan set it all up for the 'new' Reidinger?

I know that Pernese Anne-omalies (I like that term, so I hope you don't mind me appropriating it, P'ter?) are sometimes excused/explained by looking at the length of time they have been written and how many books have been produced in that world. Talented Ann-omalies perhaps could be excused on the same timescale. However, far fewer books over a shorter space of time (if you look at the publication dates there was a large gap) would kind of imply that an error of this magnitude should not be excused so readily.
Gidget2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8 2007, 02:52 AM   #4
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

I always got the idea that the Callisto station in PiS was temporary. After the first wave of settlers had gone out, it was no longer needed. The Talents were needed in a more populated and secluded spot, and the few transports that were needed to the new planets (they brought most of the stuff they needed with their ships) were handled from Earth. Peter Reidinger I and his colleagues, as well as Professor Gadriel at CERN who developed the circuits, were the only people on Earth capable of generator-assisted gestalt when the first Callisto Tower was set up. They were needed closer to Earth, since most Talent use would have been on the heavily populated planet.

Once the Rowan grew old enough, Peter Reidinger IV needed to set up a new tower where he could keep an eye on her, as she was rather a volatile personality (and at the time being groomed for taking over as Earth Prime). There were no planetary towers available at the time, so Reidinger had to set up a new one. By that time there were more Talents available as support staff too, who needed more space than an asteroid could provide.

That's my take on it anyway.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8 2007, 11:08 AM   #5
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

That sounds sound to me.

Perhaps we ought to add it to Hans' old thread on Anne-omalies! LOL

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Old Jul 8 2007, 05:41 PM   #6
Brenda

I have a really hard time buying that the whole trouble and expense of a new tower at Callisto was merely so Reidinger could "keep an eye on" Rowan.

Maybe there were a lot of new colonies going out, like Deneb, and another station was needed to handle traffic.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8 2007, 06:03 PM   #7
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

I always took it (from hints in the book) that the Callisto Tower was set up to relieve the pressure on the main one on Earth.

C. S. Lewis

Old Jul 9 2007, 11:53 AM   #8
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Fan of: The Ship Series
Now Reading: Dragonheart, baby!

Sorry for the delay in replying, I was away on a mini-holiday for my birthday!

I quite agree with Granath about the temporary nature of the original Tower that was initially set up on Callisto, and consequently the one set up for Rowan wasn't a brand new one, per se, but just needed so many improvements and retrofitting that it may as well have been a whole new Tower.

And no, it may not have been solely for the purpose of keeping an eye on Rowan. However, perhaps letting her think that was fine enough for Reidinger's needs?
Gidget2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12 2007, 01:20 AM   #9
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

The first Callisto tower wasn't on Callisto at all, but rather a captured asteroid in a similar orbit. Some parts may have been recycled for the new Tower, but how much would be usable after 400 or so years with no maintenance whatsoever? I rather think that they took all the usable parts with them when they dismantled the first tower after the initial colonial push.

IIRC the Rowan comments on how brand-new everything is the first time she arrives at Callisto. It seems to me that the newer generations of Talent aren't very well aware of their history, so the Rowan may never have heard of the older station at all.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12 2007, 07:46 AM   #10
Maximillian
Talent

Fan of: The Talent Series
Now Reading: The Mars Series by Kim Stanley Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by granath View Post
The first Callisto tower wasn't on Callisto at all, but rather a captured asteroid in a similar orbit. Some parts may have been recycled for the new Tower, but how much would be usable after 400 or so years with no maintenance whatsoever? I rather think that they took all the usable parts with them when they dismantled the first tower after the initial colonial push.

IIRC the Rowan comments on how brand-new everything is the first time she arrives at Callisto. It seems to me that the newer generations of Talent aren't very well aware of their history, so the Rowan may never have heard of the older station at all.
Indeed it seems to me that Prime talents seem to be somewhat isolated or internal. Perhaps because of the generations under which the new lot was trained.....we must assume that Peter IV and Siglen trained at the same time...but who did they train under? Indeed an interesting thing to ponder, since we know that PR 3 was not Earth Prime material, who held EP before PR4 took it over?

It would be fun to speculate what sort of talent would mold the likes of Peter and Siglen.....who we must take to be the only high talents of that period since we know that David and Capella were both trained by Siglen......however we can't forget old Guzman, he was quite antique as well....so perhaps he was one of the three originating Primes of the Modern era......Peter, Siglen, and Guzman.

All of which ended their Reign either directly before or soon after Jeff Raven took over.

Also, think about this, what would have happened, if indeed the Rowan had taken over as EP instead of Jeff......how would that have affected the timeline.....say perhaps they met Later...after Reidinger's demise?

What are everyone's thoughts?
Maximillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13 2007, 04:51 PM   #11
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix

Pure, pure and utter speculation...

Perhaps there was a time period where the neutrality of the FT&T was somehow put in jeopardy by an Earth Prime who had the oomph to port things around, but who lacked leadership qualities? In the 300-400 years since PiS, there would have been enough time for a pier or two underlying the stability of the FT&T to erode as acceptance of Talent became commonplace and they didn't have to be on their toes in exactly the same way as the early Talents had to be.

I could see some wily T-2 or T-3 or whatever being officially second in command at Earth, but actually running much of the show because Earth Prime was inept at that sort of thing. (It could happen, Primes are rare, and SOMEONE needs to do the 'porting in and out of Earth Tower.) He/She could have been the one with a big hand in training Reidinger IV/Siglen/Guzman. Perhaps, in an effort for a stronger Earth Prime, He/She encouraged some extreme competitiveness, and Reidinger IV emerged as the only one with enough logic to temper their ambitions with common sense? Siglen obviously didn't, and Guzman was portrayed as grumpy before he passed away and was replaced with Cera. Maybe he had a temper that he was unable to curtail in the face of political idiocy or something.

Again, pure speculation. Also, one of my plotbunnies.
D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2 2007, 03:07 PM   #12
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Now that's food for thought. Could work, they are only human. You should write up your plot.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote