A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Feb 9 2012, 03:11 PM   #1
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Fan of: White Dragon - Yay Ruth!
Default Saneter/Sintary

Are these two characters supposed to be the same person? Both have similar names, both are elderly, both are Harpers at Southern Hold, and both were appointed by Robinton. Saneter was still Harper at Southern when Robinton retired, so how could he appoint another person?
Almaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10 2012, 12:35 AM   #2
Eriflor

Default Re: Saneter/Sintary

I don't recall seeing the name Sintary. Which novel did he appear in?

Sebell became Masterharper after Robinton retired, so he could have appointed Sintary. Or in fact, since Southern was an extensive hold, there could have been several harpers appointed there --- teaching the kids, entertaining, mapping, drafting legal documents, etc.

Or as you suggest, it could be a mistake, and they're the same person.
Eriflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10 2012, 04:58 AM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

It is tempting to think Anne botched up and maybe she did but I treat them as seperate characters.

Saneter in Dragondrums is friendly with Toric and there's an indication that he's been around longer. He's also, to the best of my knowledge, never actually called a Master Harper, just Harper or Hold Harper.

Sintary was appointed by Robinton and described as a subtle and stubbormn old man who didn't gave in to Toric etc.

So, we'll never be sure (I never asked Anne) but I would treat them as two seperate characters. Explanation, if you want one, could be that Saneter is Hold Harper for Southern Hold proper (i.e. Toric's settlement) and Sintary Master Harper for the whole of Southern Hold?

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10 2012, 12:45 PM   #4
Eriflor

Since Saneter was already old at the time of DragonDrums, possibly he was either dead or retired by the time of Skies of Pern, and Sintary was just his replacement. But his being a master suggests the presence of other, junior harpers ---a few teachers scattered across the huge territory, land surveyors, a drum journeyman, and enough apprentices to entertain at gathers.
Eriflor is offline   Reply With Quote