A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Aug 22 2010, 07:16 AM   #41
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall
Default Re: The minor holds of Southern

That's easy enough to do. The winds might be seasonal. The so-called desert might be open savannah / veldt type land, or there could be narrow, habitable river valleys through the desert.

Like Egypt, for example.
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22 2010, 06:28 PM   #42
semantre
Dragonrider
Candidate

Fan of: Pern Series
Now Reading: Whatever I can get my hands on

Or a combination thereof. It could have a coastal desert and lush inner lands that are similar to Southern Hold in nature.
semantre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21 2011, 08:56 PM   #43
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Fan of: White Dragon - Yay Ruth!

Ah, now that's something I'd missed. In DOP, Toric mentions he doesn't like using the Ancient names for places, but that the minor holders are fond of it. He says this while planning to place holds on the Seminole Peninsula, which by SOP holds at least two holds; Seminole and Key Largo. Despite Toric, I'd say that it's likely that there'll be a hold built on each former site eventually, and probably with those names (save for Island River Hold, which was built before Boca River was revealed to be the old name).

I've been searching for references to where Southern Weyr might have moved to, so far without success. I did note that K'van's face is tanned in SOP, so they're presumably in a sunny place. They can't be on or near a stake hold, as they'd have assumed the name, as did Eastern Weyr, which became Monaco Bay Weyr. They must also be within the limits of Delta or Dorado, otherwise they wouldn't be in Southern's borders.

By looking at the Climate Map in the Atlas of Pern, I'd say that the Weyr is somewhere in North East Dorado - the headland is uninhabited, has lots of trees, and hasn't been mentioned thus far in the series. It would be the perfect place for Dragonriders to claim land! - or perhaps at the hills above the marshes at West Delta. The land to the south of the Numbweed Plain and south of the Dorado River would be out of the Tropical Zones.
Almaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23 2011, 04:40 AM   #44
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

I just had a twig, of something from Skies of Pern, K'van found his and his wyermate, spot, and its a good high for 'sky watching', and Dolphins of Pern, the timing, for crop growing, was over, when finding food was hard.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14 2011, 07:25 PM   #45
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Found some more information about the South in general - towards the end of ROP, it's mentioned that they discovered ruins along what we now know is the Jordan River, and that they planned to move holders in to help with the excavation of Landing.

These ruins are likely those of Calusa or Bordeaux stake - Amsterdam, Bavaria & Milan stakes were completely destroyed in the early falls, and considering it's mentioned in ATWOP that they hadn't spent too much time exploring the areas, plus since they're miles from Landing, it's likely Cambridge and Vienna aren't the ruins. Calusa seems the more likely, being nearer to Landing, but it might not be located along the river, being on high hills. Bordeaux on the other hand lies in the low land between the Jordan River and the Kahrain Highlands (I've described that awfully - just look at my map and you'll see what I mean).

Also worth noting is that Landing's borders extend from the plateau to the surrounding lands - these were likely used as pasture land for the animals being bred, but an old building on the edge of one of these could possibly be the ruins mentioned?

Anyway, we can conclude from this that Jordan & Kahrain might have been resettled to a greater extent than we previously thought by the time of SOP.
Old Jul 14 2011, 10:26 PM   #46
Eriflor

Calusa was Ted Tubberman's stakehold --- number 3 in the index to the map in DDawn, but it isn't shown on the map itself, so it may be the furthest east of all the stakeholds.
Eriflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15 2011, 12:13 AM   #47
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Depends on which map you have; US maps don't have Calusa marked, but the UK maps place it just southeast of Landing. There's an old thread about that here: http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=6781
Old Jan 1 2012, 09:31 PM   #48
Almaron
Weyr Harper

New info; DOP has Lessa checking if a new hold can be added to those already established along the Jordan River; "none as large as the [stakeholds] but respectable properties". It's said they explored the Jordan River more than the other areas because it was next to Landing, and they mention a few ruins, so they're probably talking about Calusa and Bordeaux (Oslo, Amsterdam, Bavaria and Milan all being pretty much destroyed), and not Vienna or Cambridge further up the river.

Oddly, I seem to remember a line in Skies of Pern suggesting there were no settlements along the Jordan River, as they didn't worry about the river being affected. Perhaps...the holds were further upstream, and the Dam/Power Station was protecting them from the worst?

I also mentioned the possibility that Southern Weyr could be in Cibola in the "What happened to T'bor?" thread. I'll need to have another look at the possibility of settlements on Ierne once I've finished re-reading ROP, ATWOP and DOP to see how they dealt with Denol - from memory, they left him there, but Toric got to claim ALL the marks Denol made from trading the goods off the island.
Old Jan 3 2012, 01:20 PM   #49
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by semantre View Post
Yes, Ierne was declared independent in, I think, SoP, because they met the charter requirements for making a land claim. It was one of those last-straw things for Toric reguarding the behavior of the Weyrs, since the wouldn't help him reclaim it.
Wrong. The weyrs couldn't interfer/get involved because it was a problem within Toric's hold. Ierne was deeded to Toric, and by the laws of the charter, NO ONE could just take it from him, regardless if they had the settlers or not. Toric eventually takes care of the problem on his own. Of course, while he was intent on that, the other Lords Holder and the Weyrleaders pass a few measures he isn't happy with....
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote