A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Dec 4 2011, 02:11 AM   #1
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Fan of: White Dragon - Yay Ruth!
Default Pernese Monopoly?

Not sure if this is in the right section or not, but ages ago, I toyed with the idea of making a Pern themed Monopoly. I abandoned it because I wanted to use Hold and Weyr shields on the properties, and I was unable to find any at that point. Now that I've made some, I've been taking another look at the whole thing.

Since there are plenty of ways a Pern Monopoly or Pernopoly could be made, I'll write up each concept in its own section (and I encourage other people to do so, if they have designs they want to post).

1: "Weyr Power"
The main problem with the conventional Monopoly board is that there aren't enough properties to display all Major Holds and Weyrs. To fix this, the board gets redesigned to add more properties to the board.

Picture the Orange & Pink side of a Monopoly board. In this variant, the Community Chest Square is replaced with another Orange property. The orange properties become Three Holds and a Weyr, and the Pink properties become Two Holds and a Weyr. Conveniently, of the six original Weyrs of Pern, three largely protect three Major Holds, while the other three largely protect two Major Holds, allowing this method to be spread across three of the four sides of the board. The fourth would be the Southern Continent, and include Southern & Monaco Bay Weyr, although the exact layout is unclear at this point. This creates groups of Holds and Weyrs that mirror the loyalties the Holdings have.

In this version, the Weyr properties don't work like regular properties (hence the silly-sounding "Weyr Power" name). They can either be used in conjunction with Holds of the same colour to increase the rent across those Holds, or they can be grouped with other Weyr properties (similar to owning the Railways) to increase rent across the Weyrs.

As for the four Railroad properties, most likely they'd be Halls. Three of the most prominent are the Harper Hall, the Healer Hall and the Smithcrafthall. They could be also significant ancient sites; Landing, Honshu Weyrhold, Ship Meadow, etc, although these could perhaps be Utilities.

"Go To Jail" would be "Thread!" forcing the user to go "Between", which takes "three breaths" (three turns) to leave.

The game currency would be dealt in Marks, and the game pieces could be fire-lizards of different colouring, or symbols/objects related to Crafthalls.

EDIT: Just dug up an older draft that had the Eastern Ring Islands as Jail, the Harper Hall as Free Parking, and the Yokohama, Buenos Aires, Bahrain & Mariposa as Railroads. A few of the properties are in different places too...

----------------

That's all I've got so far. Other options spring to mind, such as one where all the properties are Crafthalls. Anyone else got design ideas, or perhaps feedback for this? Do post!

Last edited by Almaron; Dec 4 2011 at 06:12 AM.
Almaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4 2011, 06:05 AM   #2
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Fan of: White Dragon - Yay Ruth!
Default Re: Pernese Monopoly?

Ok, I've got a better version now:

http://amcalmaron.deviantart.com/#/d4i4a0x

Pieces are either coloured Fire-Lizards (Gold, Bronze, Brown, Blue, Green and White, like in the video game) or tokens representing a Crafthall (or perhaps even things linked to the Halls; a Harp for the Harper Hall, a Telescope for the Starcrafthall, a Dolphin for the Dolphineers, etc). Currency would be done in Marks.

As you can see, the properties for this game are Major Holds or Weyrs, as well as CraftHalls in place of the Railroads, each represented by their Shield (or the Pernese Flag, in the case of Landing). Here, the Weyr properties don't work like regular properties. They can either be used in conjunction with Holds of the same colour to increase the rent across those Holds, or they can be grouped with other Weyr properties (similar to owning the Railways) to increase rent across the Weyrs.

Trader Squares are the equivalent of Chance/Community Chest. The Tax squares are replaced with Tithe and Abominator squares. Honshu could possibly be used to represent the Tithe square, cause it hasn't been used anywhere else. On the other hand, it's probably the least likely of the Weyrs to ask for Tithe. Free Parking is the Dawn Sisters; specifically the Bridge of the Yokohama. Go To Jail becomes Threadfall: Go Between (so I assume a picture of the Red Star would go here). Jail/Just Visiting becomes Between, where one must wait "three coughs" before emerging. Go is still Go, although it could have a picture of the Star Stones to add to the sense of beginning.

I imagine there'd be a map of Pern in the centre of the board - the properties are placed so that they vaguely correspond to their location on the planet, although the Holds themselves are ordered either by precedence or founding (Nabol would end up the most expensive Hold of its region if it was ordered by location).

Not sure anymore if the shields are the right thing for each property. Perhaps fan pictures or even book covers could be used to represent different areas, with the shields in the corner or on the property card itself?
Almaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4 2011, 03:44 PM   #3
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment

Hmmmm

That definitely looks interesting

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4 2011, 04:06 PM   #4
Lily

That's wonderful. You have been working hard.
Old Dec 4 2011, 04:45 PM   #5
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Wow I like what you've done so far.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4 2011, 06:17 PM   #6
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

So do I, its turned out quite nice in fact
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26 2012, 05:38 PM   #7
Tamara Henson
Golden Flier

Fan of: All the Weyrs of Pern
Now Reading: The Ship Who Sang by Anne McCaffrey

Wow I would so play this version of Monopoly! Considering all the custom monopoly sets being sold in America today (everything from sports teams to cartoon themed) you could actually get this published if you could get permission from Anne's estate.
Tamara Henson is offline   Reply With Quote