A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Feb 6 2012, 03:01 AM   #1
patscavalier
Inactive

Fan of: robinton
Now Reading: skys of pern
Default time line

hello everyone
i have a audio book that i'm trying to put in that right order in the time line of reading..
this is the book i dont know where it go's

ever the twain

i know i will have more questions about is in the future
thanks for the help
patrick
patscavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6 2012, 04:28 AM   #2
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Fan of: White Dragon - Yay Ruth!
Default Re: time line

It's never actually been said what Pass Ever The Twain takes place in, but it's thought to take place in the Second Pass, for several reasons.

One, female greenriders are common; one rider has been so for thirty years. Female greenriders existed as late as the early Second Pass, but were non-existent by the late Second Interval - although they briefly resurged in the Third Pass, it's not presently known how long this lasted for as no female greenriders existed by the Sixth Pass. Mirrim became the first female greenrider in nearly 2000 Turns in the Ninth Pass, and remained so for quite a while - IIRC, there were three by Skies of Pern; including Tai (although probably not canon, the Dragonfire game book, which takes place around 15-16PP, states Mirrim is the only female greenrider).

Two, fire-lizards appear at the dinner scene. Fire-lizard numbers dwindled in the late First Pass (IIRC) and were almost completely gone by the Second Pass, only to resurge in the Second Interval, and later be banished to the Southern Continent in the Third Pass; not to be seen again until the Ninth Pass.

However, Ever The Twain can't take place in the Ninth Pass, as the greenrider would have to have Impressed before Mirrim for it to be the middle of the Pass. Ergo, Ever The Twain must take place in the Second Pass - provided greenriders and fire-lizards didn't briefly resurge at some point in history only to disappear again at a later date...but let's not give Todd any more ideas...

So...place it between Red Star Rising/Dragonseye & Dragon's Kin.
Almaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6 2012, 08:38 AM   #3
patscavalier
Inactive

Fan of: robinton
Now Reading: skys of pern

thank almaron
well i did so more research and found this

http://mccaffrey.srellim.org/biblioseries.htm#pern

srellim has it listed after dragonseye.... thats the best i have found so far
patscavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6 2012, 09:37 AM   #4
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Patscavalier - that's one of my other sites. That was my best guess for Pass, for many of the reasons Almaron lists above: Female greenriders seem common, firelizards are around, but the culture seems less far removed from original colonial. As I recall there is mention of "learning disabilities," which is a term I don't think would survive to the 9th Pass - nor even the diagnosis of it I suspect.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote