A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old May 15 2008, 09:26 AM   #1
khuriya
Inactive

Fan of: Pern ;3
Now Reading: Transformers Classics vol. 02
Default Firelizard (and dragon) maturation times?

I'm sure this likely has a simple answer squirrelled away somewhere, but for the life of me I can't find it ...

How long does it take for a firelizard to reach physical / sexual maturity?

Or dragons for that matter -- although a look at the Dragonflight timeline in the Atlas suggests about two and a half years for Ramoth (?!), that doesn't quite sit right ...

Thanks muchly,

Khuriya
khuriya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2008, 10:44 AM   #2
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta
Default Re: Firelizard (and dragon) maturation times?

Green dragons: ~1 year
Male dragons: ~1 year (confirmed in DDawn, also see comments on Lioth's maturity in DFlight)
Gold dragons: 2-3 years (implied/stated in various places)

For firelizards - again, I'd check the relevant parts of Dragonsdawn, particularly the timelag between the first impressions of flits and the point at which Sorka's parents are noted to be relieved that Sorka never impressed gold, and also the timelag between Bay's impression of Mariah and the same fact being mentioned.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2008, 12:32 PM   #3
Brenda

Was the flight in Dragondrums Kimi's first? Sebell didn't seem to be aware of any of the signs. We know that's about three years after DSi, but three years seems a long time for a fire lizard to mature...
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2008, 09:43 AM   #4
khuriya
Inactive

Gold Re: Firelizard (and dragon) maturation times?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Green dragons: ~1 year
Male dragons: ~1 year (confirmed in DDawn, also see comments on Lioth's maturity in DFlight)
Gold dragons: 2-3 years (implied/stated in various places)

For firelizards - again, I'd check the relevant parts of Dragonsdawn, particularly the timelag between the first impressions of flits and the point at which Sorka's parents are noted to be relieved that Sorka never impressed gold, and also the timelag between Bay's impression of Mariah and the same fact being mentioned.
Checking Dragonsdawn -- which can be horribly vague in places, I'd forgotten how maddening that was -- the best anchor-points I found were that Bay Impresses Mariah at the time Sean is arranging to have a new Cricket, and Mariah clutches when mares, cows and dolphins all bear young (somehow on the same day ...?). Which apparently was "nearly twelve months after Landing".

Gestation times being nine months for cows, eleven for horses and twelve for dolphins according to a check on Google, and allowing for little complications such as the labwork needed to create the livestock embryos, and the time between mating and clutching for Mariah, I have a three-month bit of wiggle room. Maybe.

Until I manage to work out something more accurate, I'll go with nine months for (gold) firelizards and scale down from there. And try not to think too hard about the weirdness with Sebell and Kimi

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old May 16 2008, 09:52 AM   #5
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuriya View Post
Checking Dragonsdawn -- which can be horribly vague in places, I'd forgotten how maddening that was
Are you using the UK or US edition? The UK's has a lot of extra words in it...

As far as the dragon:flit scaling goes, I guess Kitti could have engineered it to be later for the dragons as they physically needed more time to reach their full growth? Or perhaps just for the golds - there might be an argument there that flits and dragons all mature by the age of 1, with the exception of queen dragons who take a little longer.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2008, 12:08 PM   #6
khuriya
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Are you using the UK or US edition? The UK's has a lot of extra words in it...

As far as the dragon:flit scaling goes, I guess Kitti could have engineered it to be later for the dragons as they physically needed more time to reach their full growth? Or perhaps just for the golds - there might be an argument there that flits and dragons all mature by the age of 1, with the exception of queen dragons who take a little longer.
The Canadian edition, usually Although I was checking from an ebook, which I think was the US edition ...

That might not be a bad idea, with the one-year; though with the scaling difference with flits and dragons (mass quadruples as linear growth doubles), I do admit I have a hard time thinking a flit and a dragon have the same growth period given the massive differences. *sheepish*

I'll keep digging around --!
Old May 27 2008, 04:39 AM   #7
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

According to DF: Ramoth's first mating flight was before her second birthday.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1 2008, 09:11 AM   #8
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

According to my timeline (based on the book and the Atlas timeline), Ramoth flew at 2 yrs and 8 months old.

Also by my timeline, Sebell's Kimi's possible first mating (with Menolly's Diver while they were on a boat) 3 yr 1 mo after she hatched.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote