A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Beyond Anne McCaffrey

Beyond Anne McCaffrey We know Anne's not the only author you read and enjoy. Come here to discuss and discover authors beyond Anne!

Old Nov 16 2005, 06:01 AM   #1
Kesal
Angel Islander

Default A plug for some great Aussie fantasy & SF authors

It's seems we've had an explosion of great books coming out of this country, and they're doing just as well in the US and UK as they are here. The ones I've read I would recommend to anyone who likes Anne McCaffrey (although sadly, I know some of these authors don't like Anne's stuff...I haven't given up trying to convince those I've met that they may be worth another try!)

Some of my favourites are:

Jennifer Fallon - The Hythrun Chronicles (two related trilogies, The Demon Childd Trilogy and the Wolfblade Trilogy) and Second Sons Trilogy.Both fantasy.

Trudi Canavan - The Black Magician Trilogy (young adult, but not too chidlish for adults). The Priestess of the White has just come out, and I have only read a small part, but it looks great already.

Glenda Larke (aka Glenda Noramly) - Isles of Glory trilogy. Incredible, especially if you love strong female leads, and believably flawed characters.

Karen Miller - The Innocent Mage. A great read, especioally considering it's her first published.

Sara Douglass: The Troy Game series. The fourth is coming out soon, and I can't wait.

Garth Nix - I can't believe I took so long to read the Abhorsen trilogy. Again, another young adult series, but well worth the read.

He's not Aussie, but he's close enough (and he's been called it often enough, he thinks it's a great joke):
Russell Kirkpatrick - The Fires of Heaven series. If you love epic fantasy, you'll love this. Like the Wheel of Time, but he actually gets to the climax of the story in the third book. He's writing more in the world, and I'm looking forward to it.

Some of these authors do have other series, but I haven't read them yet. You'll find more about some of these on the Voyager Online website. Many of these authors are members of the bulletin board there too!
Kesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8 2008, 12:56 AM   #2
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
White Re: A plug for some great Aussie fantasy & SF authors

JusG'day from USA, chat mate. Read alot of Anne and other too. One to try is "BeastMaster" By a good friend of Anne, now gone but not forgret.

Andre Norton a good friend of Anne McCaffrey and Todd wrote about her in his book about his mum.
"Dragonholder".

Last edited by GinnyStar; Jun 13 2008 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Just found her name.
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8 2008, 08:02 AM   #3
Allana
Greenrider 'Lana

Candidate

Fan of: Crystal, Pern, Dino P.
Now Reading: The Death of Artemio Cruz, Fuentes
Default Re: A plug for some great Aussie fantasy & SF authors

My sister has read books by Sara Douglass, and I myself can't get enough Garth Nix. After reading all of The Seventh Tower, the Abhorsen books, Shade's Children, The Ragwitch, and all of his short stories, I moved on to the Keys to the Kingdom series. Lirael is my favorite of all of them.
Allana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8 2008, 09:41 PM   #4
r2005
Crafter
Student

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: 1632 Series by Eric Flint

My sister has read a lot of Garth Nix books, but I haven't read any of them yet.

I have been reading Alison Croggin's Books of the Pellinor, and I'm waiting for the last one to get released in the US. I really have enjoyed those.
Old Jun 14 2008, 07:39 AM   #5
Flinx
Linyaari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesal View Post
Jennifer Fallon - The Hythrun Chronicles (two related trilogies, The Demon Childd Trilogy and the Wolfblade Trilogy) and Second Sons Trilogy.Both fantasy.
Along with Sonny Whitelaw & Marianne de Pierres, Jennifer is one of the author guests at Supanova next weekend.
Quote:
Karen Miller - The Innocent Mage. A great read, especioally considering it's her first published.
Karen Miller has also written some of the new Stargate novels.
Quote:
Sara Douglass: The Troy Game series. The fourth is coming out soon, and I can't wait.
Read this, then finally noticed the date of your post. I got the US paperbacks for the Royo cover art.

Here are a few other Aussies that are also getting published in the US;
Sean Williams - co-wrote with Shane Dix a trilogy of Star Wars novels

Sean McMullen

Sonny Whitelaw

Marianne de Pierres

I also mustn't forget to add Terry Dowling.
Flinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14 2008, 12:38 PM   #6
Shalyn

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.
Fan of: Dragonflight

Isn't Kate Forsyth Aussie, too? (Too lazy to look in books) She's not too bad. I'm working through "Witches of Eileanan" at the moment. Amongst other series'

I read one of Sara Douglass's books - and can't remember the name. But it was about a glassmaker, and glass. And the end of the world. And glass had a lot to do with it.
Shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17 2008, 06:36 AM   #7
Joz
Eskay

Fan of: The Crystal Singer

"Threshold" I liked that one. I've found that she has joined that world with the ruins of Tencendor (The Axis trilogy and the Wayfarer Redemption) with Threshold and "Beyond the Hanging Wall" (which I haven't read) in a new series. The first is the Serpent Bride and the second is just out called the "Twisted Citadel." The Serpent Bride wasn't bad, looking forward to the next.

Kate Forsythe is great!! Lovely person too, have met her once. Don't forget her next Witches series, Rhiannon's Ride, great adventure and bit where even I wanted to cheer the heroes on.
Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4 2008, 08:24 AM   #8
Flinx
Linyaari

A few more Aussies being published in the US;
Matthew Reilly

Kim Wilkins

John Birmingham - unfortunately this site doesn't appear to have been updated for quite a while as it doesn't mention his Axis of Time trilogy.
Flinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9 2008, 09:25 AM   #9
Emeraldrose
Holder
Drudge

Fan of: Dragonriders Series
Now Reading: The Great Hunt Robert Jordan

What about The Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan?
Emeraldrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30 2008, 04:47 PM   #10
draconichybrid
Ssli

Fan of: Lessa/Killa/TTATH pentad
Now Reading: Random Rereads

Keri Arthur is an Aussie, as well.

I've personally only read her Riley Jenson Guardian series... Ok, ok, I've really only read books 1, 2, 3, and 5, but they're all excellent reads (in my admittedly biased opinion).

The series is rather erotic, but that's mitigated significantly by the harsh sanctions that are imposed if characters neglect certain logically prudent safeguards.
For instance (this won't be too much of a spoiler, as this happens about halfway through Full Moon Rising)...
...the heroine of the series, Riley Jenson, discovers that one of her partners (who shall remain nameless to avoid big spoilers) did something really nasty to her... and even worse, there are some very dangerous additional side effects (that an understatement if I've ever made one) due to a factor he didn't know about and couldn't factor into the equation.
Spoiler blanked out (for more than one reason). Read at your own risk.

Last edited by draconichybrid; Aug 4 2008 at 11:46 AM. Reason: thanks for the spoiler tag, Cheryl ;)
draconichybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14 2008, 02:53 PM   #11
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

I'm reading the Black Magician Trilogy. So far, so good.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22 2008, 01:00 AM   #12
Emma-Jayde
Shipfish

Fan of: Pern and Crystal Singer
Now Reading: LotR, when I have the time.

There's also Isobelle Carmody - Teen/Young adult fiction. I first read the Obernewtyn Chronicles when I was nine or ten, and I still find them enjoyable. My only criticism would be that there was about a ten year gap between books four and five- And the series still isn't finished.

Cecilia Dart-Thornton - I've only read one of her series, The Bitterbynde Trilogy, and I found it highly enjoyable

Also;
Fiona McIntosh
Traci Harding
Ian Irvine
Emma-Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14 2008, 04:55 PM   #13
murphy
Eskay

Reading through this thread, I want to bring up Jennifer Fallon again, especially her Tidelord series. The latest book (No. 4) will be out in Australia next month. The first book in the series is The Immortal Prince. I think this is her best work to date. I bought the first book in the U.S. and liked it so much I ordered the next two books from Australia.

Last edited by murphy; Nov 14 2008 at 06:34 PM.
murphy is offline   Reply With Quote