A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Library Foyer > Events Board

Events Board Information on site-sponsored and member-sponsored events: trivia contests, gathers, etc.

Old May 9 2010, 11:35 AM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Long mini-meet Rotterdam April 16-21, 2010

As you all know by now StevenB stayed in the Netherlands, at our place from 16-21 April, after already having spent a week in my country for profwssional meetings.

He arrived April 16 when I collected him from Rotterdam Central Station, from where he also left because he was not able to fly home due to the closure of Euro airspace because of volcanic ash. Unfortunately this also meant that a planned visit by Lanen, who was to join us on that same April 16, wasn't possible

It was our priviledge to host Steven a little bit longer than intended, though he did work on Tuesday from my home.

Here's a shot of Steven's first dinner with us on the Friday; we had lamburger (no, you read that correctly, they are absolutely delicious, with green beans and baked potato wedges with Italian herbs and Italian salad.

The next day we took Steven to see Rotterdam, a working city ever under construction. It's one of the major world ports (I think 4th argest in the world) and despite only having about 600,000 inhabitants tries to be a world city, too, with a skyline and architecture to match. Here Stevn is posing with one of out bridges (the Erasmusbridge) in the background with a litte of the skyline of the north bank in the background:

On Sunday we visited the world famous flower exhbition and bulb garden The Keukenhof (many photo's and links to even more in Exhibit Hall):

On Monday we showed Steven around in the area where we live, showing a small part of the all important Delta works that takes care we Dutch in the west of the country have dry feet so to speak. To give you and idea, this is one of the many bodies of water in our direct vicinity.

we had lunch in an old fortified town who was the first Dutch town liberated from the Spanish (yes, we Dutch suffered from the Spanish Inquisition too!) in 1572 after 80 years of war (we now get them back by exporting many thousands of obnoxious tourist to Spain every summer):

Marjon and I got back to work on the Tuesday and thanks to a good internet connection, Steven did too, albeit digitally.
On Wednesday morning I dropped him off again at Rotterdam CS where he caught his train to Brussels in Belgium where he changed to the Eurostar which brought him, via the Chunnel, to London and from there to home.

Thanks for your delightful company, Steven! It was super to have you and the only thing hat marred the whole experience was the absence of Lanen!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.

Last edited by Hans; May 30 2010 at 08:06 AM.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote