A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café > Café Archives

Old Jul 25 2010, 06:06 PM   #881
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!
Default Re: Special Education Teacher

The grass on your side of the fence will turn green eventually, just remember to tend each blade carefully and you'll reap the rewards.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3 2010, 12:21 AM   #882
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Fan of: Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: Spirit Dances by CE Murphy

Thank you both. I finish half the paper work today and hope to complete it tomorrow morning. If I manage to do it, then I will turn in my Financial Aide appeal paperwork and my APLE (a federal loan assumption program for teachers in high risk areas) paperwork to my district. I need to complete all this and shower by noon. *wish me luck*
Old Aug 3 2010, 12:49 AM   #883
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

You can do it, D!
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3 2010, 09:29 AM   #884
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Good luck.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Aug 4 2010, 04:09 AM   #885
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I hope you had a good long shower.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7 2010, 12:10 AM   #886
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Thanks everyone. I turned all my paperwork in, now I need to write my 2 letters to my boys school district for 2 different reasons. I plan to turn the letters in on Mon, then start enjoying my summer vacation. I will let everyone know how that goes. If any of you are ever in the SoCal area, then let me know. I would love to show you around.
Old Oct 3 2010, 07:00 PM   #887
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

I am in my second year as a new teacher at my high school and still enjoying work; however, I have an overload of paperwork at work, home (aka boys) and otherwise.

Ds#1 is enjoying Middle School and having a better experience especially now that he has a one-on-one who knows what they are doing aka he is learning the skills to navigate his world on his own eventually.

Ds#2 is enjoying his new school too. He is no longer being bullied and back to enjoying school.

How is everyone else?
Old Oct 4 2010, 02:05 AM   #888
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Good, just got back from a school reunion and having to deal with my friends' son who has autism. He loves his cuddles at the moment ~ includes all sand, grotty faces and chuckles.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Oct 4 2010, 12:24 PM   #889
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Glad to hear the boys are liking their new schools. That does make life much easier!
Old Oct 24 2010, 01:08 AM   #890
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Thanks Jube and Ann Marie.

Ds#1 fractured his left ankle during the first quarter of his soccer game today; thus, we spent the afternoon in the ER with him complaining he was hungry once the pain let up.

I completed 1 of 6 IEP (Individual Education Plans) -- all my students as a Special Education Teacher have them -- last week. The 6th one will be finish by Nov 8th if all goes well. Then I have about 5 weeks til my first tri -- every 3 years we retest for the IEP -- of this year. Then another break until we come back from Winter vacation. Other then overwhelmed, exhausted and crossing fingers each month that I will have enough to pay all the bills we are doing good.
Old Oct 24 2010, 07:02 PM   #891
kc
Firestone

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: Various

Oh Dena - it never rains but it pours doesn't it!

Just as well #1 is so young - when my dad broke his ankle playing football (soccer) he ended up meeting my mum leading to their marriage and eventually me

Thinking of you and the boys lots. Hope you have a good time at the Halloween Gather.
kc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25 2010, 03:48 PM   #892
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Dragonflight

Good to hear from you, keep fighting in there, you're working marvels
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13 2010, 12:25 AM   #893
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Thank you both. We are hanging in there.

I finished the 6 IEPs at work last Tuesday. Ds#1 had his cast removed last Wednesday, but is still on moderate activity til 11/24 which he is resisting. There are times I just want to duck tape him to his bed til then.

Ds#2 and I went to a match interview for a Jewish Big Brother for him. We will hear back on Monday if the "Big Brother" is interested too. I hope so. It would be so good for him to have something for him. Yesterday alone except for a morning hair cut and the evening interview we were driving from one appointment to the next for his brother.

Otherwise, I am doing my best to not get so exhausted I can't function while preparing for ds#1's Bar Mitzvah in less than a month. He is ready aka has his Hebrew down. Just all the planning. We won't have a party afterwards (don't have the money) but he will have a group of friends and my sister there supporting him.

May everyone have a great rest of November.
Old Nov 13 2010, 01:01 AM   #894
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

How's that song go, "always look on the bright side of life".

Duct tape hmmm ......

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Nov 14 2010, 01:13 AM   #895
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

I hope DS#1 calms down a bit after his Bar Mitzvah, as befits his new status. Good luck with the preparations! Seems like things finally have settled down a bit for you after all the stress you've had. Fingers crossed it lasts a good long while!
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20 2010, 01:26 AM   #896
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Thanks jube and granath.

Since I last posted, ds#2 had his appendix removed then he got a antibiotic resistant staff infection in his belly button a month after his surgery which he is thankfully recovering from without a second surgery. In the midst of it all ds#1 had his Bar Mitzvah and it was amazing. Watching him read from the Torah scrolls was beyond words. He is so excited about being part of the service and wearing his Tallit (prayer shawl) that we went to services on Sat. When he was asked to say the Torah blessings (7 people say them before a part of the Torah portion is read and after), I thought he was going to go through the roof. Tonight he announced that he wants to lead the services again and he misses class with the Rabbi. It is wonderful watching his delight in Synagogue. Also, during this time, I held 8 IEPs and began preparing for the 3 tri's (intensive IEPs every 3 years) that start a week and half after winter break. Sleep has been much missed but otherwise I am managing.

hugs to all and a great 2011
Old Dec 20 2010, 09:29 AM   #897
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

How wonderful! Here's hoping you'll get some more sleep in 2011.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20 2010, 06:39 PM   #898
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Sounds like DS#1 is growing up and realising his responsibilities in life. Hope this will be a good thing for you.

Hope DS#2 is feeling better from his appendix operation.

Have a happy 2011

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Jan 1 2011, 09:33 PM   #899
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Ds#2 is fully recovered from his operation; however, he ended the year with a flu bug. Otherwise, we had a wonderful week in San Jose with a family we know from the Special Needs family camp we go to every August since 2008. It is great spending time with families who understand the stresses, heartaches and joys of raising a child with special needs. You don't have to constantly explain your child and you are able to relax instead of being jumpy about your child's actions in whoever's house you are visiting. Please keep our friends in in your thoughts, etc that the flu bug does not infect them. Ds#2 became sick on our 3rd night there. Ds#1 woke up with it at 5 AM this morning and I decided to head home. I didn't want to end up sick and our friends taking care of us all. Also when we left this morning their kids were still healthy.

As long as ds#2 is well, he goes back to school on M. Ds#1 and I are off til the 10th so we will be finishing "thank yous" for his Bar Mitzvah gifts, spending some of his gift cards because I am not letting him go through them in one day -- way too much shopping for me if not for him. Also, the boys have eye appointments this week and I will go into work to work on IEPs because after next week I have 3 tris and 2 regular IEPs starting within 1 week of returning from break.

May 2011 be full of blessings for everyone!
Old Jan 1 2011, 11:21 PM   #900
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Ds#2 is fully recovered from his operation; however, he ended the year with a flu bug. Otherwise, we had a wonderful week in San Jose with a family we know from the Special Needs family camp we go to every August since 2008. It is great spending time with families who understand the stresses, heartaches and joys of raising a child with special needs. You don't have to constantly explain your child and you are able to relax instead of being jumpy about your child's actions in whoever's house you are visiting. Please keep our friends in in your thoughts, etc that the flu bug does not infect them. Ds#2 became sick on our 3rd night there. Ds#1 woke up with it at 5 AM this morning and I decided to head home. I didn't want to end up sick and our friends taking care of us all. Also when we left this morning their kids were still healthy.

As long as ds#2 is well, he goes back to school on M. Ds#1 and I are off til the 10th so we will be finishing "thank yous" for his Bar Mitzvah gifts, spending some of his gift cards because I am not letting him go through them in one day -- way too much shopping for me if not for him. Also, the boys have eye appointments this week and I will go into work to work on IEPs because after next week I have 3 tris and 2 regular IEPs starting within 1 week of returning from break.

May 2011 be full of blessings for everyone!
I hope your son get better, Hope your work with the IEP reports go well!
May 2011 be better for you and your!
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7 2011, 09:16 PM   #901
Sandi

The whole world seems to be suffering from some pretty potent viruses this year. I hope you managed to avoid it and that the boys are getting better now. Good luck on the next round of activities. You've done an amazing job so far. Keep up the good work!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8 2011, 04:48 PM   #902
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Thanks Sandi and Ginnystar

I caught the virus but thankfully am recovering faster than ds#2 or ds#1. Otherwise, I'm slowly trying to catch up with my to do list.
Old Jan 9 2011, 12:37 AM   #903
CrochetLady
Journeyman

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Reading Brisinger, by Chris Paolini

So thankful the Bar Mitzvah experience was such a thrilling time for your #1 boy! Good that it had a positive effect on his self-esteem, for sure! And I think you are wise to not let him spend his gift cards all at once! For me, shopping is a dreaded thing, unless I know I have enough money and I can go in, get what I want and maybe look around for a bit, and get myself out of there! Have fun with him, though, when he does get to shop.

Sure sounds like you've been having non-stop excitement around your house, though. Appendicitis, then a drug-resistant infection, then the Bar Mitzvah (fortunately, a happy time of excitement), then going to the friends for New Year's visit, then ending with both boys getting sick and then you! Mercy! And you're alive to tell the tale! I think you are one tough lady! And you still have IEPs to deal with, don't you? I remember working on one with the Special Needs teacher, for my son. Not that easy to get a program worked out for a kid that nobody knows what his real problem is.

Anyway, wanted to be sure and wish you and the boys a very Happy and PROSPEROUS New Year. Hope this is a very good year for all of you. And no more flu-bugs, appendicitis surgery, or broken ankles, broken feet, etc. Just forward motion that is good and some really good break-through's in maturity and family pride and being able to enjoy each other. May there be peace in your hearts. Oh, and a lovely senior living arrangement for your Mom that will work out better than you hoped for!

Love and New year's Blessings to you all,
"Mom" CrochetLady
CrochetLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30 2011, 04:03 AM   #904
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Thanks CrochetLady. You were right. I completed the three triennual IEPs I had due within a week, one and half weeks after returning Winter Break. Of course I'm now 3 weeks behind in my classes but if I ever got ahead of my to do list, I would

Both boys are healthy except ds#2 and I had a severe allergy, aka hayfever, attack started over a week ago. We both went through a few tissue boxes each. I need to get us both to the allergist but with what time. If I make it through Feb and finish my paperwork for my classes done, do my job, get the boys to all their appointments then I just maybe able to get ds#2 and I to the allergist in March.
Old Jan 30 2011, 01:22 PM   #905
sailorbychoice
Loo Cow

Fan of: jaxom/ruth
Now Reading: tower/hive

Om Money Pahd Me Hume!
sailorbychoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5 2011, 12:15 AM   #906
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Update on us:

Ds#2 is slowing improving. Dux, I agree that meds is a last resort, but if needed find a good doctor/psychologist you trust o help. Ds#2 has been on Respirdone for 4 year and in Dec his doctor and I decided to take him off of it for two reasons: to see if the positive effects of it outweighed the possible long term side effects and to try a med that was for just impulse control. First, as he went off of it his stemming return with a vengence to the point that I felt like I was going to go crazy. He scratched his scalp raw multiple times: the last time I told him if he did it again, he was getting a buzz cut. He picked at his big toe until it was so infected, he is on antibiotics and could lose his nail. He flicked everything while walking which drove me crazy. The impulse drug which did not have the long term side effects, we tried did not help with the stemming instead he had the immediate side effects to it. It became so bad at one point, I started thinking about short term placement outside of the home. He is back on the Risperdone and once he is settled the doctor and I are going to try to lower his dosage (to help further prevent the long term side effects) and try a different impulse me with it. Right now, his poor impulse control is further aggrevating his poor social skills related to his autism. Watching your child desperately want friends and pushing the kids away who would be his friends with his poor impulse control is heartbreaking. A few of the kids still talk to him, but they are a little afraid because when he loses control he breaks stuff. This long ramble is to say don't feel bad if you have to use meds sometimes its necessary.

Ds#2 has anger issues because of the multiple issues in his life. Thankfully, he love the kids group at Kaiser so much, he ask to go twice (aka two 10 week groups) which has helped greatly. Even so, it is hard to convince a 11 year old to ignore his grandma when she is being blantly unfair. The good news is she will be move out of my house by July and if all my plans go as planned the boys and I will buy our first home and move in it by August.

As for me, I take my Masters comps on Friday, May 6th.
Old Mar 7 2011, 08:57 PM   #907
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Update on us:

As for me, I take my Masters comps on Friday, May 6th.
My mother's birthday, Great day for good things to happen, sweetie!
Old Mar 7 2011, 11:58 PM   #908
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Thanks Ann Marie. I'll be wishing your mom a happy b-day on that day too!