A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Feb 8 2005, 04:36 AM   #1
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Fan of: Pern & Freedom
Now Reading: The Umbrella Club / David Brooks
Default Help with first editions

G'day!

Well, I'm about to start on my bibliography of Anne's first eds, so that I can shew her that I'm serious, by having the basic work needed.

Now... I need your help.

Since I lack any first eds, and can't afford any, I'll need the help of collectors. What I need from you are the following:

1) legible photocopies of both the recto and verso of the title page, plus any other pages with information unique to the edition;

2) the height of the book, from top to bottom, in centimetres, rounded off to the nearest centimetre;

3) statement of whether paperback, trade paperback or hardcover;

4) if hardcover, colour of spine & lettering;

5) a scan in colour of the cover art/dustjacket where applicable;

6) details of cover/dustjacket artist where known

7) original price

8) any other details that you feel may be relevant &/or interesting.

Send emails & scans to ubervole at yahoo dot com dot au, and hard copies to

Phillip A. Ellis
2/3 Monterey Avenue
Banora Point NSW
Australia 2486

Thanks for any help that you can give.

ciao
ghyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8 2005, 08:32 AM   #2
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman
Default Re: Help with first editions

I'll see if a friend'll let me scan Renegades for you! US 1st ed.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8 2005, 05:07 PM   #3
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Woohoo!

Thanks Edith!
Old Feb 8 2005, 06:02 PM   #4
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

He's already said I can scan an article for Hans on his scanner.
I dunno if he knows how to use it though...
Support services thought it'd be a good idea to give him one! (he's dyspraxic!)
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9 2005, 02:57 AM   #5
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Uh, Ghyle, Anne's bibliography has already been done and completed for the period 1953-1993 and, with Anne's consent, I am well under way for the period 1993-

The bibliography itself is relatively rare, only 400 were printed (author is Matthew Hargreaves, who got a Pern book dedicated to him for all his work), the edition is signed by both him and Anne and I think it selles for around 150 US dollars.

The thing that is hard is not printed first editions, or whatever other editions, the most trouble I have with e-books.
And then of course you must realise that Anne is published more during the last ten years than in the previous 40! It's only after roughly 1990 that the foreign editions really take flight.

Some data is real hard to come by There's a stack of books put apart by me in Anne's attic that need their title and copyright pages copied but I still haven't managed to return to Ireland...

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10 2005, 12:52 AM   #6
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Hans, I appreciate your work, and don't want to step on your toes. What I may do, then, is forego the bibliographic data, and look at something more critical.

If you can get hold of a copy of Henry Danielson's bibliography of Arthur Machen, then you'll be aware of what I was hoping for: a descriptive bibliography looking solely at the first editions, with notes supplied by Anne herself; I wanted to get the bibliographic material done first.

Why don't you drop me an email, and we can chat a bit more over things bibliographic; are you concentrating upon primary material, or are you including secondary material?
Old Feb 11 2005, 07:20 AM   #7
Hans
Master Archivist

Ghyle, I am collecting all data on all publications of Anne, books and otherwise.

Again, if you get a chance to have a look at Matthew Hargreaves' book Anne Inez Mccaffrey. Forty Years of Publishing. An International Biography you'll instantly know what I'm talking about

And, you should do whatever you want to do!

I'm sorry but I don't have the time right now to join an email correspondence over this. Circumstances have made my online/computer time much more limited than I prefer them to be but hopefully things will change for the better around May this year.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Feb 11 2005, 04:28 PM   #8
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Hiya Hans!

I don't want to step on your feet, that's all, so I'll shelve the bibliography. I may decide to write a nice book on Pern, looking more closely at the meat of the books than otherwise.

With your bibliography, how far are you interested in looking at secondary sources? I'm thinking books, articles, and reviews? That aspect of a biliography, the literature about Anne, would be of interest to critics like myself.
Old Feb 13 2005, 07:09 AM   #9
Hans
Master Archivist

Ghyle,

I am sticking to the setup Matthew Hargreaves cam up with because that's easiest (he did the first 40 years and collected an awful lot of material). I will not follow his lead on everything but his setup I have adopted:
  1. Novels, Short Story Collections
  2. Edited Works
  3. Short-Fiction
  4. Non-Fiction
  5. Unpublished Works
  6. Literary Criticisms
  7. Secondary material & Related Merchandising
  8. Plays
  9. Published Interviews
Audio books and eBooks are put into the section they belong, not in seperate sections.

Material is welcome, especially interviews published in magazines, URLs to online interviews and data on foreign (as in non English language) editions, esepcially pirated Asian and pirated Russian ones.

I also have scans/pictures of covers but if anybody does want to contribute to that collection, email first! (my collection is very extensive)

Last edited by Hans; Feb 14 2005 at 02:46 AM.
Old Feb 13 2005, 04:20 PM   #10
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

It's looking good. When I get the time I'll do some literature hunting for you. I'll probably stick to secondary material at the mo.

ciao!

P