A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Apr 13 2006, 05:10 PM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Latest Pern acquisitions

Today the German language trilogy arrived I bought through eBay. It's a hardcover trilogy holding Drachengesang, Drachensinger and Der weisse Drache (Dragonsong, Dragonsinger and The White Dragon). It is published by Bechtermünz Verlag (Augsburg, 1998) and holds the original illustrations by Johann Peterka which appeared in the seperately published books; and even three identical maps (because they were in each seperately published volume ) by Erhard Ringer and Johanna Peterka. All translations are by Birgit Ress-Bohusch.

I knew, of cours, it was a trilogy but I was still surprised at how thick the book is (silly me). It need to be with well over 800 pages! Also, the size is quite a bit smaller than the sized mostly used for hardcover books, the book being only 19 x 13,5 centimeters high and wide, slightly larger than a maasa market paperback. But 5,5 centimeters thick = almost 2,2 inches

Here's some pictures. I also took a few of the illustrations and the one of the map (I'm not going to really bend the book open to scan the map as the book is in mint state). I paid € 4 = about $ 5 for this book (postage and packaging excluded).

Menolly on the cover with what looks like a green dragon and a (Sea) Hold with the Dragonstones in front on the lef of her (the cover artist is not mentioned but made by "Atelier Bachman & Seidel").

Menolly again with a dragon or fire lizard...

One of the nicer/better illustrations of the book in my opinion: Elgion and Alemi (in search for Menolly)

The Map of Pern that appears thrice in this volume

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13 2006, 07:01 PM   #2
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts
Default Re: Latest Pern acquisition

That's a lovely book, Hans! Though, the Hold looks like a sandcastle.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13 2006, 08:21 PM   #3
Dyna
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonrider sagas
Now Reading: in between books

Excellent. It looks to be of same height and size as the triology I have...minus the pretty pictures of course. Yes....thick book. LOL.

*tries not to turn green with envy*

Dyna
Dyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13 2006, 08:32 PM   #4
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings

Wow, that looks great!

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13 2006, 08:53 PM   #5
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Looks lovely, Hans!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14 2006, 12:57 AM   #6
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Hans, That is magnificent, I love the drawings. They have a much lovelier Pern Map than the one in the U.S. version. So much detail, I love it. Thank you oh great computer wizzard , for showing us these wonderful pictures.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14 2006, 02:03 AM   #7
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

I'm in full agreement with Maelin about the Pern map! It's lovely! I wish they'd put that map in our books. They used great fonts too. So pretty!
Old Apr 14 2006, 03:33 AM   #8
Hans
Master Archivist

As a good Master Archivist I also collect Pern maps and I do have a pic of that German map that's better than the one I took:

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Apr 14 2006, 09:41 AM   #9
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Definately a better map than most!

Old Apr 14 2006, 10:09 AM   #10
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

I'd swear I've seen that map before. While it's awfully pretty, it doesn't seem as usable to me with such huge text labels -- and it may be hard to tell which dot the labels go with as they're large enough to span two or three.

ETA: Ah, well that explains why I've seen it before -- it's in the one German Pern book I own, a paperback of Dragonsong (Drachengesang).
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.

Last edited by Cheryl; Apr 14 2006 at 10:26 AM.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14 2006, 11:48 AM   #11
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

IT BEAUTIFUL HANS, THANK YOU ! ! !

Thank you Hans, I was really wanting a good look at that map. It is just so beautiful, with all the details that are on it. You know how much I love all the little details in a drawing.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Apr 15 2006, 11:51 AM   #12
Becky
Coelura

As usual Maelin beat me to it! I too want to thank you Hans for the closeup of the map. It really is a wonderful thing to behold. I just love it! I am talking about from an artistic viewpoint. I agree with Cheryl that the font is large and it's not really useable, but it sure is purty!
Old Apr 15 2006, 12:18 PM   #13
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

If you want usability, then all you need is an Atlas!

Old Apr 15 2006, 01:01 PM   #14
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

It's beautiful- the illustrations are too!
It looks like a lovely book!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15 2006, 06:25 PM   #15
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

That's it Cris, the maps in the Atlas are what you would use for real Pern placement, but the German map is something that would look beatiful in a frame for decoration.

Old Apr 16 2006, 06:51 AM   #16
Hans
Master Archivist

Right, late this week yet another book arrived that poses some sort of publication mystery...

La Ballata del Drago is the Italian title for Dragonsinger and a volume in Il libro d'oro della fantascienza (The golden library of Science Fiction) -- yes, knowledgeable people, those Italians

The paperback book (trade paperback size) with a dustjacket (the actual cover is completely white, front and back) was published by Editore Fanucci, Rome 1981. It is a First Edition, a "Prima Edizione, Novembre 1981" as the copyright page states (see picture).

However, when I took Hargreaves to hand, it listed it's original price was 8,000 lira (and my edition says 15,000 lira on the inside back flap). He lists the publisher as Fanucci but the little cover picture (see picture) also says Orrizonti! (mine does not). State and translation details are the same as is the info on the copyright page and the fact that the book has white board wrappers and a dustjacket, but then Hargreaves says that the cover illustration is by Boris Vallejo, the wonderful artist especially known for his fantasy/SF art with nudes, male as well as female -- mine has cover art by Michael Whelan!
If you like the art of Boris got here: www.imaginistix.com. Hargreaves mistyped Boris' name which is Vallejo and not Vellejo. He then goes on saying "At least the foreground is by Boris, but the background was probably added by a house artist. The foreground was originally published on the cover of the magazine "Boris" in 1978."

I do have a small and bad reproduction of the cover in question:

but while searching for a better one on the net (or the original cover art, which I was sure to find because Boris sells virtually all his work as prints or they have been seperately published in books) I couldn't find the object in several Boris Vallejo galleries on the net. I even downloaded the 35,8 megabyte catalog from Boris' and Julie's site but the lady (I refuse to even think of Menolly when looking at it ) isn't in there either
In case you are interested Boris did lots of covers for especially books by Edgar Rice Burroughs (e.g. Tarzan) and Philip Jose Farmer, but also for Anne McCaffrey's friend Andre Norton.

If Hargreaves is right, however (and I think he is on the added evidence of the mentioned price on my dustjacket being alomost twice as high as the one he lists) my edition is either a:
  • True first edition book with a different dustjacket
  • An exact reprint of the original first edition
At this moment I can't discern what it really is, besides a beautiful book

If any of you can locate the original cover art, or the magazine Michael Hargreaves talks about I would love a link or a scan!

Oh, collectors details: I bought the book through Italian eBay and paid 5,99 euro = 7.25 US dollars (the postage was as much again ) and the state is very good/near fine.

Old Apr 16 2006, 04:19 PM   #17
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Default Re: Latest Pern acquisitions

This is a very nice adddition to your fantastic and growing collection. I have two of Boris's books, and I know that I have seen that painting somewhere before. If I have a few minutes, I will see if I can find it.

Old Apr 16 2006, 05:26 PM   #18
Hans
Master Archivist

If you could find it, that would be marvelous, Maelin!

Remember, just look for the lady and don't think of the background. Just the lady with both arms pointing down.

Old Apr 16 2006, 11:31 PM   #19
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I knew that I had a picture of that drawing, and yes indeed I do, I am sending you a copy if it out of my book. Good luck with finding the original cover.

Old Apr 17 2006, 04:43 AM   #20
Hans
Master Archivist

Got it, Maelin. You're wonderful!

I'll post it here so everybody can admire this woman's erm.. assets? Spikey ball?
Spitting image of Menolly eh? Or maybe it is Mavi?

Old Apr 17 2006, 06:57 AM   #21
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Looks more like a representation of Boudicca than any Pernese character!

Old Apr 17 2006, 12:33 PM   #22
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

It was probably a stock painting that someone saw in Boris"s painting files and decided to use, to draw attention to the book.

It is a beautiful painting, as are all of his that I have seen. I have three of his books, now I just bought the lastest one that he did with Julie Bell. Somewhat adult in nature,(I am sorry to you, who are offended) but the painting styles are fantasticly beautiful in my opinion.

More Research for Hans:
Yes it was a stock painting, it is titled "Amazon's Pet", 1977 in oil 18"x24".

Last edited by Lady Maelin; Apr 19 2006 at 01:26 PM.
Old Apr 17 2006, 04:20 PM   #23
Dyna
Inactive

oh wow....you hit upon another collection of mine....providing I can place half of them. The calanders. My dad started collecting them when I was in high school...about um...*gasp* 20 years ago?

I inherited them, mom moved....I have no idea where they are packed now...

*goes and hides under a rock* Im old...so getting so old....
Old Apr 17 2006, 04:43 PM   #24
Hans
Master Archivist

Dyna, you'll find that most of the collectors active here are not teenagers either...

With calenders you mean copies done by Boris or by Achilleos, Whelan, the Hildebrandt bros. Pern one?

Old Apr 17 2006, 04:48 PM   #25
Dyna
Inactive

Boris Viejo...dating back the last 20 years. I know I dont have all of them, I think the college years after my dad passed are skipped. I vaguely remember seeing Hildebrandt signatures on some of them....
Old Apr 18 2006, 01:30 PM   #26
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Dyna, look at the Hildebrandt ones and see if you have a copy of the "Pern" one, it could save you a few dollars if you do.

Old Apr 18 2006, 06:05 PM   #27
Dyna
Inactive

yeah...um....where to look.

storage, attic or closet....
Old Apr 19 2006, 01:28 PM   #28
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Dyna: Trust me it would be well worth the search, if you have that many of the calenders.

Old Apr 19 2006, 05:02 PM   #29
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

[QUOTE=Hans] Dyna, you'll find that most of the collectors active here are not teenagers either...
QUOTE]

can't afford it!
I have 1 1st edition Pern book. and that was renegades
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19 2006, 05:07 PM   #30
Hans
Master Archivist

I remember when you bought that!

and... collecting is more than acquiring first editions!

Old Apr 19 2006, 11:33 PM   #31
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

That last picture reminds me of when I read Edgar Rice Burroughs' Martian series. Didn't the person who used to draw the covers for this series, did that picture too? It looks very familiar in that respect.

Now Hans, I'm drooling all over the keyboard regarding the Harperhall trilogy et.al. and now's it wet and yucky. I've had some luck too with the Brainships series by S.M. Stirling (the 2nd part to his adventure written with Ms McCaffrey, which is all about JOAT). But I'm still drooling over the Harperhall book. LOVE it.
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20 2006, 02:25 AM   #32
Becky
Coelura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
... collecting is more than acquiring first editions!
No truer words were ever spoken!!! One thing tends to lead to another!
Old Apr 20 2006, 03:42 AM   #33
Hans
Master Archivist

Yes, Jube, Boris Vallejo did dor lots of covers for Edgar Rice Burroughs books and Farmer and such. So you feelings is right. Go and look at his site, the one I linked to, and enjoy old memories (?)