A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Jan 3 2007, 11:30 PM   #1
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too
Default Possible Pern Portfolio PROOF????

I have been most fortunate to run across another copy of the Pern Portfolio!! BUT, this one is a bit different than the original one. I'm wondering if this new copy could be some sort of proof copy? Please let me know your thoughts.
I am calling the new copy 'proof' to distinguish it from my other 'original' copy.

The proof cover is not as complete as the original one. It's not entirely colored in and the colors are in different areas too. The paper is the same heavy stock as the original one tho.

Photo of new proof cover. (Sorry for the glare. I thought about redoing the picture but the glare looks like flame so I left it in. )

Photo of both covers.

There are a couple of differences in the layout of the first pages also.

The copyright page, where the copy number is listed in the original, is blank on the proof. Pages are printed on both sides throughout both copies. So the proof is printed on one side exactly like the original but blank on the back.

In the proof the Table of Contents page is the page before the Dedication page, so the back (right side of paper) of another printed page. In the original the Table of Contents page is a few pages later and the front page (left side) of the paper.

The Dedication page in the original has an introduction by one of the editors after it. In the proof there is the Forward by Anne McCaffrey after the Dedication page. In the original the Forward is just before the Table of Contents.

These two pictures show the difference of what is printed before the first article titled For Love of Dragons. The articles and art pages are the same for both proof and original copy. It is just the beginning pages that are different in their printed order.

Drawings in the original are on heavyish pastel colored paper but in the proof drawings are on the same paper as the rest of the Portfolio. The proof does not have the same backing as the original. Original has a drawing on heavy stock and the proof has heavier colored paper instead. The original Portfolio was loose bound with a slide on piece to hold it together. The proof is stapled with two staples which are original to it and have not been re-stapled.

I also found a photocopy of the Pern Portfolio and it is in the exact order of the original Pern Portfolio with no additions or omissions.
Old Jan 4 2007, 10:39 AM   #2
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: Possible Pern Portfolio PROOF????

Becky, fantastic find....as usual. This is just wonderful to get to see, the differences do lend themselves to think that yes this might just be an earlier edition than the original one that you found. They might have run a few to see if they like the colors they had chose...and the paper that were wanting to use...seems they changed both for your edition. You are such a lucky lady to have found these new treasures...

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5 2007, 04:16 AM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

The cpy Becky found does seem to be an advanced copy of maybe a proof as it has some stuff in a different place than both our regular, numbered copies and is even missing some things.

To be sure we both did a page by page comparison of our copies; so anybody who finds or owns one and wants to compare with our two copies is welcome to email us. Both our copies are actually the only ones I know of. If any of you own one I'd gladly hear from you which number

One last thing. Both Becky's copies seem to be missing a page with a cartoon on it of Anne, titled "A lady and her dragon". It is printed on the same kind of coloured paper as the other illustrations printed on coloured paper. It is by Bill Feret, who also contributed other art and the short srticle "Let there be dragons" to the Pern Portfolio.

Here's a pic of it:

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5 2007, 10:11 AM   #4
Becky
Coelura

Yes, please do let us know if you have a copy of the Portfolio! I am very interested in finding out if Hans' A Lady & Her Dragon is part of the Portfolio or not.
It is not in the original copy I found, nor in the 'proof' or photocopy. All copies have the rest of the art tho. And my copies were purchased thru two different sources. I think the picture is wonderful and am sad that it is not in any of my copies.
I wonder if it was a seperate item for sale, for those who wanted a little something but didn't want to buy the portfolio?
The art that is printed on colored paper is listed by title in the Table of Contents, A Lady & Her Dragon is not listed anywhere. And all the other art that is not titled is credited by page number in the Table of Contents.
Hans, thanks for posting a pic of the drawing! It's great!
Old Jan 5 2007, 11:31 AM   #5
Hans
Master Archivist

You mentioned the "nays"

on the pro side:
- it was in my copy of Pern portfolio
- it is the exact same paper as used for several of the other art appearing in it
- it is by one of the Portfolio's contributors
- would people really consider buying a single sheet?

but your remark made me think... it might be included in the envelope in which the Pern Portfolio was original send out and that might explain all the above and the fact it is not in the table of contents...

I am VERY curious after other copies around

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jan 6 2007, 12:07 AM   #6
Becky
Coelura

Ah, that's a possibility. None of mine were in an envelope. Hmmm, thinking we'll maybe have to try to contact the creators! Off to Google 'em and see what I find!

Last edited by Becky; Jan 6 2007 at 12:59 AM.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6 2007, 01:04 AM   #7
Becky
Coelura

Hans, I'm having no luck. Maybe you can find something I've missed???
Old Jan 6 2007, 01:20 AM   #8
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

All I know is that I love that drawing of Anne on the dragon...I want one!!!

I was so surprised to recently find in my mail box a rather large package... inside was an old complete copy of this very same Pern Porfolio sent to me as a gift from a my very special friend...Becky...Thank you so very much for thinking of me when you found it...It is already in a leather bound notebook all in plastic pages for safety...you know how I on things...and tucked happily away with the rest of my Mccaffrey treasures.... {{{HUG}}}

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Jan 6 2007, 04:42 AM   #9
Hans
Master Archivist

Anne E. is on an amazing place 373 of the SETI @ Home project but unfortunately did not list an email or made herself available as such.

She has been active in Star Wars and Star Trek zines and fanstuff during the eighties (even won an award) and was a member of a workshop at Noreascon in 1989. I find her mentioned as fanzine editor until the early nineties, after that nothing...

Intelius finds one Anne Elizabeth Zeek, with a background history of 2 addresses in Brooklyn NY and 1 in Staten Island NY (of course this data isn't free and must be bought for $50; so...erm... no thanks) She is 47 years old so might be the right one.
No luck in California either (where I would expect her to be) there's an Anne P. Zeek (a 99 year old lady) maybe related?
There's two Anne Zeek's found through Switchboard but they are 27 and 31 years old, thus too young.

Darn.

Old Jan 6 2007, 10:45 AM   #10
Brenda

What is this Pern Portfolio? I never heard of it before!
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6 2007, 11:19 AM   #11
Becky
Coelura

It's a 'fanzine' Brenda. It was published back in 1978 with copyright to Anne McCaffrey. The only thing Anne wrote was the Forward tho.
I did a Collecting Highlight on it a few months ago when I finally found a copy. It's Highlight # 30 in the Archives. In fact I posted this same info on the 'proof' to the Collecting Highlight so if you click on the Highlight in the Collecting Highlight Archives that's the one. You can read and see what I posted about it.

Something I didn't do when doing the highlight was check the Hargraves bibliography. (don't know why) But I just did and found that he says there were TWO printings of the fanzine......
First printing - 300 copies - cover printed in 4 colors. Bound together with a plastic spine pressure binder. Printed on several types of paper with 2 foldout illustrations and is 128 pages.
Second printing - 200 copies - Black printing on white mimeo paper and is staple bound. No foldouts.

I had a bit of a start when I saw the second printing info, but the 'proof' copy I have is not all black and white. The cover had two colors on it AND I have both of the foldout prints inside mine. But it is all stapled together. Maybe mine is a 'proof' for doing the second printing? Maybe they shifted things around in the beginning pages and considered doing only a couple of colors on the cover. And then decided not to include the foldout pictures?
Old Jan 6 2007, 11:25 AM   #12
Becky
Coelura

Maelin, you are very welcome for the gift of the Portfolio copy!!! {{{{HUGS}}}}

With all the Pern portraits you've done I thought a Pern related thing would be a good way to say thank you. You are a dear friend to me and so many other folks around here!
THANK YOU for all your wonderful art that you've shared with us!
Old Jan 6 2007, 11:27 AM   #13
Becky
Coelura

Hans, wow you found a lot of stuff! Hmmm, I am pretty sure Anne Zeek is a member of the SFWA. I think I'll send them an email and see if they can forward a message to her if she's still available. Never hurts to try.
Old Jan 6 2007, 03:17 PM   #14
Hans
Master Archivist

Uh, SFWA has a member list open to the public I thought...

Hmm, well, she doesn;t have a member page on www.sfwa.org
I don't know if that means she isn't a member; by all means Becky, email them.

Old Jan 6 2007, 04:56 PM   #15
Becky
Coelura

Email sent.
Hans, I know I found a membership list for sfwa a while ago. That's where I remember seeing her name. I was doing a Pern Portfolio search and used her name to see if that would help and I'm pretty sure I saw her name on their list. Now when I search I'm not finding their membership list. But I emailed them just the same asking for info on all three editors, hoping to get lucky and find one a member who will email me back.
Old Jan 6 2007, 07:24 PM   #16
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

WOW...It will be so interesting to read about what you both find out about the Porfolio. I hope that Anne Zeek answers your call and comes forth to let us know how it was all put together. Maybe even how it all came about, I bet she will be surprised that after all of these years it is still so wonderful to some of us.

Old Jan 7 2007, 10:52 AM   #17
Allana
Greenrider 'Lana

Candidate

Fan of: Crystal, Pern, Dino P.
Now Reading: The Death of Artemio Cruz, Fuentes

WOW!! I didn't even know such a thing as this existed. The cover is just absolutely beautiful!
Allana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8 2007, 10:36 PM   #18
Becky
Coelura

Well, no luck thru SFWA. None of the three are listed as current members per their reply to my email.
Old Jan 10 2007, 01:06 PM   #19
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

@Becky, Maybe if you left a question with the head of the organization they would pass along the message that you are looking for her or at least she might answer your question through them...it might be worth a try.

Old Jan 10 2007, 10:13 PM   #20
Becky
Coelura

Anne E Zeek has done many fanzines. I'm thinking of emailing a publisher of the zines if there is one. So that will be my search for this evening, I think.
Old Jan 10 2007, 11:20 PM   #21
Becky
Coelura

Well, in some further searching I found Anne Elizabeth Zeek listed in Noreascon 4 in 2004. I have sent an email to them asking if they know where she can be contacted and to forward my request and email addy to her. Maybe this will be the one! Keep your fingers crossed!!!!
Old Feb 15 2007, 11:41 PM   #22
Becky
Coelura

WOW!!! I just got an email from Anne Elizabeth Zeek! I had totally forgotten about the letter I wrote. Tho her email said she got an email from a friend who got an email from a friend who got....... well you know.
So I replied with our questions and also included the link to this thread so she can see what I was talking about. ::waves at Anne Elizabeth::
So we might get some answers soon!!!
Old Feb 16 2007, 05:30 AM   #23
Jax

Latent Talent

Fan of: DDawn 1st read, love all
Now Reading: MagicKingdom4salesold ArtemisF

Jax is offline   Reply With Quote