A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Feb 25 2010, 05:34 AM   #1
ghyle
Hrruban
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Fan of: Pern & Freedom
Now Reading: The Umbrella Club / David Brooks
Default collecting for a bibliography

G'day!

I've started working on a bibliography, but not about Anne; rather, it's about the Australian poet Les Murray. As part of the process, I have to sight every item listed, to ensure that they exist, but I need help with non-Australian items.

How willing would you be to help me locate books, and/or make photocopies from magazines & newspapers? If you invoice me for the expenses (item, copy, postage) I'll be able to pay via paypal, if that's not a problem.

As it happens, this will be the first full-length bibliography about Les Murray, so you would be a big help, and you will be acknowledged, both at the entry, and in the index (I will be indexing those items & entries contributed by others than myself, in one of the indexes).

yrs

Phillip
ghyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25 2010, 10:44 AM   #2
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly
Default Re: collecting for a bibliography

Well except that he won the Queen's Gold Medal for Poetry in 1999, his UK publishers are Carcanet, and Clive James promotes him, I don't know much about him. I'm willing to do some chasing if you want.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25 2010, 09:44 PM   #3
ghyle
Hrruban
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Well except that he won the Queen's Gold Medal for Poetry in 1999, his UK publishers are Carcanet, and Clive James promotes him, I don't know much about him. I'm willing to do some chasing if you want.
Thankee, P'ter! I'll leave it up to you what and where you would like to chase.
Old Feb 26 2010, 12:33 AM   #4
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

I don't know about chasing much atm, my left hand won't let do much chasing, but I can see if anything pop up. Something about that last name, let me think on it I'll get back to you. Please keep us posted.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26 2010, 03:58 AM   #5
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Did you know that he made a CD of some of his poems?

Quote:
Les Murray's voice lets us hear the possum cough his speech, the lyrebird imitate - like the poet - the sounds of creation. These amazing modern bucolics let nature sing itself into existence before the mind's eye.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Old Feb 26 2010, 04:01 AM   #6
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

'It would be as myopic to regard Mr Murray as an Australian poet as to call Yeats an Irishman. He is, quite simply, the one by whom the language lives.' Joseph Brodsky.

'There is no poetry in the English language now so rooted in its sacredness, so broad-leafed in its pleasures, and yet so intimate and conversational.' Derek Walcott, The New Republic

'...the true spokesman of the whole nation, the custodian of its soul... the most accomplished poet in Australia today, and among the half dozen most successful poets in the English language...' Peter Porter

'perhaps the most naturally gifted poet of his generation' David Malouf

'It should hardly need saying that merely to mention Les Murray is to heighten the tone of the discourse.' Clive James, TLS

'...a waterfall of a poet, satisfying as a draught of Coonawarra Cabernet -- a year's discovery.' Martin Dodsworth, Guardian

'Les Murray is writing poetry with a lyric grandeur and verbal resourcefulness that are reassuring.' Mark Strand

'Les Murray is a major Australian poet of our time, full stop.' Douglas Dunn

'It is wonderfully disciplined writing, offering what poetry and nothing else can offer, an art that arrests one's otherwise ever frustrated sense of the richness of the life that lives only for the moment.' C.K.Stead, London Review of Books

'Critics speak of him as one of the finest poets writing in English today, one of the superleague which includes Seamus Heaney, Derek Walcott and Joseph Brodsky.' Blake Morrison, Independent on Sunday

C. S. Lewis

Old Feb 26 2010, 07:38 AM   #7
ghyle
Hrruban
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyStar View Post
I don't know about chasing much atm, my left hand won't let do much chasing, but I can see if anything pop up. Something about that last name, let me think on it I'll get back to you. Please keep us posted.
dear Ginny,

I don't dare ask anything from you that you don't want to do, and that you don't feel capable of doing. I appreciate even the smallest of entries or assistance, and there's plenty that you can do to help if you're interested, using Google.

If you want, pm me, or email me through MoM, with your email address, and I'll give you a list of simple things that you can hunt up online.

Although you may not get your name in the index, you will in the acknowledgements.

Old Feb 26 2010, 07:42 AM   #8
ghyle
Hrruban
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Quote:
Did you know that he made a CD of some of his poems?
yes, I did: I know that he's made a few

one was bundled with one of his books, one of the editions of his Collected Poems, from memory, and another was put out in Sweden, by Editions Rugerup (typing the publisher's name by memory, so prolly wrong) -- I have copies of both; the publisher is Mr Murray's German-language translator, btw: she married a Swede, and moved to Sweden, then started her own small press dedicated largely to translations into German -- the books are beautiful, and well worth collecting

there have been tapes made, though I'm not sure how many, and when
Old Feb 26 2010, 07:46 AM   #9
ghyle
Hrruban
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Thanks, P'ter!

It's always interesting to see where and what a poet's contemporaries speak about them. I happen to know another major Australian poet, John Tranter, another of Mr Murray's contemporaries, and his "antagonist" in the poetry wars. Mr Tranter has spoken quite often to me of how he admires Mr Murray's work, and wishes well for him.

It may interest you to know that Mr Murray is quite intimately familiar with clinical depression, providing yet more anecdotal evidence for the link between those who suffer from it and high levels of creativity.

Quote:
'It would be as myopic to regard Mr Murray as an Australian poet as to call Yeats an Irishman. He is, quite simply, the one by whom the language lives.' Joseph Brodsky.

'There is no poetry in the English language now so rooted in its sacredness, so broad-leafed in its pleasures, and yet so intimate and conversational.' Derek Walcott, The New Republic

'...the true spokesman of the whole nation, the custodian of its soul... the most accomplished poet in Australia today, and among the half dozen most successful poets in the English language...' Peter Porter

'perhaps the most naturally gifted poet of his generation' David Malouf

'It should hardly need saying that merely to mention Les Murray is to heighten the tone of the discourse.' Clive James, TLS

'...a waterfall of a poet, satisfying as a draught of Coonawarra Cabernet -- a year's discovery.' Martin Dodsworth, Guardian

'Les Murray is writing poetry with a lyric grandeur and verbal resourcefulness that are reassuring.' Mark Strand

'Les Murray is a major Australian poet of our time, full stop.' Douglas Dunn

'It is wonderfully disciplined writing, offering what poetry and nothing else can offer, an art that arrests one's otherwise ever frustrated sense of the richness of the life that lives only for the moment.' C.K.Stead, London Review of Books

'Critics speak of him as one of the finest poets writing in English today, one of the superleague which includes Seamus Heaney, Derek Walcott and Joseph Brodsky.' Blake Morrison, Independent on Sunday
Old Feb 26 2010, 08:34 PM   #10
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghyle View Post
dear Ginny,

I don't dare ask anything from you that you don't want to do, and that you don't feel capable of doing. I appreciate even the smallest of entries or assistance, and there's plenty that you can do to help if you're interested, using Google.

If you want, pm me, or email me through MoM, with your email address, and I'll give you a list of simple things that you can hunt up online.

Although you may not get your name in the index, you will in the acknowledgements.

You never know till you try, and I do have some time to hunt, for in order to find a few things I've had hunt stuff up before, Ginny
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote