A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Beyond Anne McCaffrey

Beyond Anne McCaffrey We know Anne's not the only author you read and enjoy. Come here to discuss and discover authors beyond Anne!

Old Feb 14 2010, 05:38 PM   #1
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose
Default Rick Riordan

Okay, so I know the Percy Jackson and the Olympians books are classified as young adult. So what? The kidling got the first three for her birthday on the 11th, and is already most of the way through the second one "The Sea of Monsters". We have both finished reading "The Lightening Thief". Someone did his homework on Greek gods and myths!
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14 2010, 07:13 PM   #2
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!
Default Re: Rick Riordan

Don't know, haven't read it yet but I did hear a rumour on the grapevine that Percy and his 2 mates were a "take" on Harry Potter, Ron and Hermoine. Not sure how true it is *shrugs shoulders*. The movie is on my "want list" to see at the cinema, unless I wait until it comes out on dvd.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15 2010, 11:18 AM   #3
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Winds of Change and Shaping

Saw the movie for a lark yesterday - it was fun, in a 'check your brain at the door' type of way. I am going to read the book, certainly, as I suspect some/many of the plotholes in the movie were addressed/solved in the book. And as you say, AnnMarie, the author has certainly done his homework. A Classicist who can't find a job, or a writer with a cheery obsession with Greek myth? In any case, it sounds a good book!
Old Feb 15 2010, 11:29 AM   #4
Brenda

Those books had caught my eye more than once in the bookstore, but now I'm waiting to read them in case I see the movie first.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15 2010, 11:47 AM   #5
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

In the book, the similarities between Percy and Harry are not as marked as they are in the movie. The movie was "fun", but the books are better...there is a lot more information, and different situations...and the books start when Percy and Annabeth are 13, while in the movies, they are a bit older. Grover is older than either of his friends.

Lanan, either way, it does make for a good read, and he really doesn't twists the myths as much as I have seen some other writers do.
Old Feb 15 2010, 02:07 PM   #6
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Winds of Change and Shaping

AnnMarie - thanks for the recommendation, I look forward to reading them. I suspect the studio execs made Percy a little closer in outline to HP just for the publicity value. Is Lightning Thief the first book to read?
Old Feb 15 2010, 08:53 PM   #7
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Yup. The line up is:

The Lightening Thief
The Sea of Monsters
The Titan's Curse
Battle of the Labrynth
Last Olympian
Old Feb 17 2010, 01:04 PM   #8
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Kibby & I both read the books and loved them.
I think that any time you have teens, school & magic involed some one is going to compare them to H.P. I thought they were compleatly different than H.P.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17 2010, 02:41 PM   #9
Topaz the Golden

Fan of: all of them
Now Reading: anything I can get my hands on

don't feel bad i have them and read them all.
Topaz the Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18 2010, 02:27 AM   #10
ghost8772

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: The Dresden Files

been debating reading, and/or seeing movie. the trailers so screamed potter knockoff.

IMO I'd say that its about 95% book>>>>>>>>>movie. So anyone saying book is SO much better than movie.... I have an instant "duh" resounding before I can remember there are SOME movies better than books. A few, and would have to search hard to find them, but they do exist, somewhere.

Thinking I'll hunt down Percy and give a run. At the least if I think they're okay, I have a five year old I'm hoarding books for until age nearly appropriate. I think I have a different criteria than some I've run across. If she can understand whats happening in the story, and not destroying the books, she can read them.
ghost8772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14 2011, 08:52 PM   #11
Rianne

Fan of: dragon's dawn
Now Reading: Dream Theives

I really liked the books. (then again I am the targeted audiance.)
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14 2011, 09:59 PM   #12
Brenda

Since I last posted I have read the Percy Jackson books twice, and they're on my list of Books I Must Buy When I Have Money.

These are at least as good as Harry Potter. The books anyway - I never saw the Percy Jackson movie. It's more fun if you have general knowledge of Greek mythology - not necessary, but there are a lot of hidden in-jokes and clues. It's a good adventure, good drama, good story arc escalating to the final showdown. It's definitely worth reading if you liked Harry Potter - but don't expect it to be the same thing. There are broad parallels in the way the series are set up, but it is a different set of characters, a different world with different rules.

I also get a kick out of reading the bit in the first book where they stop in St. Louis and visit the Gateway Arch - because that's where I volunteer! I work in the museum, not far from the covered wagon he mentions! (The floating McDonalds has been gone for quite a few years now, though.) I recently made a copy of that chapter and left it in the breakroom for some of the other rangers to read.
Old Aug 14 2011, 11:34 PM   #13
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

He has got a new series of books that have the Egypt gods. The first one is The Red Pyramid, which Kibby and I both like. We have not gotten the second one, The Throne of Fire, yet. It is on our want list.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

Old Aug 15 2011, 02:09 PM   #14
Rianne

Fan of: dragon's dawn
Now Reading: Dream Theives

I just finished both of them. I thought they where really funny.
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16 2011, 05:28 AM   #15
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Fan of: White Dragon - Yay Ruth!

I saw the film when it came out - I agree with what's been said; it wasn't great, but it was good mindless fun, and I'd happily see a sequel to it.

After that I tracked down the books from the library, read them all - out of order, cause the library didn't have the ones I wanted at the time - and really enjoyed them! Then, in a freak coincidence, ALL OF THE PERCY JACKSON BOOKS turned up at the Hospice Shop I was working at for $3 each, so I took the lot to the counter and bought them!

The two Percy Jackson spinoffs are looking pretty good as well; here's hoping for more of Festus (the robotic dragon on the cover)!
Almaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17 2011, 06:00 AM   #16
elvenart
Curlycorn

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: The Planet Pirates omnibus

I believe he said that he wrote the books to get younger readers interested in ancient mythology at some point. He tried to make it fun and also informative to some extent on who was who and the like. I, too, have read all 5 novels (after seeing the movie, which was fun), and have found them much more filled out and informative story-wise. The movie was basically a quick film loosely following the story, with some changes to make it a stand-alone story without the need for a sequel, but leaving it open for the possibility. Still, both the movie and the books are fun to watch/ read. My sister-in-law prefers the movie herself, though she's usually rather ... choosy?... on what she reads or watches.
elvenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21 2011, 10:22 PM   #17
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Kibby had read the book before seeing the movie. She said they changed things too much, & said the movie was ok.

This is from the same kid who read Eragon before seeing the movie and still loved the movie. Where they changed almost everything.

Old Aug 21 2011, 10:51 PM   #18
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Meriah is hooked on his writing. She is now getting into both the Pyramid series, and the cross-over between the Greek and Roman series with a young Jason as the protagonist. And yes, he knows the myths of all three cultures. It's fun, reading them with modern applications.
Old Aug 26 2011, 05:51 AM   #19
Golden Talisath
Dragonrider storyteller
Junior Weyrwoman

Fan of: F'lar and Lessa, DF
Now Reading: My university books

I'm reading The titan's curse and so far have loved the books. I have a good knowledge of Greek mythology but even so, I have been finding myself wondering about this god or that or the stories about them. Rick REALLY did a great job, and you can mostly get who the bad gay is just by description or by what he does or the little things around him/her. The book is better than the film, although I liked it as well. I wouldn't compare the books to the Harry Potter series. I think that the Harry Potter books are more complex, but both are a interesting read and I would recommend them to anyone who is looking for a good adventure and a LOT of laughter.

From the Weyr and from the Bowl
Bronze and Brown and Blue and Green,
Rise the dragonmen of Pern,
Aloft, on wing, seen, then unseen.
Dragonman avoid excess
Greed will bring the Weyr distress;
To the ancient Laws adhere,
Prospers thus the Dragon-weyr.
Golden Talisath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28 2011, 12:37 AM   #20
ghost8772

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: The Dresden Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvenart View Post
I believe he said that he wrote the books to get younger readers interested in ancient mythology at some point. He tried to make it fun and also informative to some extent on who was who and the like. I, too, have read all 5 novels (after seeing the movie, which was fun), and have found them much more filled out and informative story-wise. The movie was basically a quick film loosely following the story, with some changes to make it a stand-alone story without the need for a sequel, but leaving it open for the possibility. Still, both the movie and the books are fun to watch/ read. My sister-in-law prefers the movie herself, though she's usually rather ... choosy?... on what she reads or watches.
I think he succeeded in his aim. I remember reading some Greek Mythology stories when I was younger, enjoyed the stories, even though I think the ones I read were watered down for younger audiences. The Percy Jackson books are dead on with the characters and true to the original mythological subjects. I've read the five, and the first spinoff... though it reminded me why I try to wait for a series to finish before I pick it up. HATE waiting at a cliffhanger.
ghost8772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28 2011, 04:25 PM   #21
Brenda

Yeah, that's why I've been avoiding the spinoff as well.
Old Aug 16 2012, 12:24 PM   #22
Sadi
Loo Cow

Fan of: Masterharper of Pern
Now Reading: Something my Maria V. Snyder

totally in love with these books and who ever said these were a take on HP were wrong. they start with a similar format but the characters grow up quicker and are not as naive to the world. I love the HP novels don't get me wrong but the PJ books have a taste more of reality than the HP books did. This is a personal thought on this matter and not meaning to hurt anyone's feelings.
Sadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23 2012, 12:05 AM   #23
Bruce
Rocksquat

Fan of: Dragonriders of pern
Now Reading: Anything I can get my hands on

I have read all of Rick's books, including his earlier Tres Navarro ones. Rick lives here in my hometown of San Antonio, so the Tres Navarro books being mostly set in SA was a lot of fun to read. His JF is still fun for all ages.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote