A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Beyond Anne McCaffrey

Beyond Anne McCaffrey We know Anne's not the only author you read and enjoy. Come here to discuss and discover authors beyond Anne!

Old Jul 19 2016, 11:13 AM   #81
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall
Default Re: The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S Lewis

The best movie adaptations that I've seen so far are the Da Vinci Code and Mrs Frisby and the rats of Nimh.

For the first, the book had me gritting my teeth all the way through - starting with the Freudian idea that everything that pokes up is a phallic symbol and everything that pokes down is a symbol for female sexuality and then compounding with Langdon's ridiculous assertions about Christian history. Langdon never did explain how Emperor Constantine (272 or 280 to 337 CE) could possibly have removed books from the New Testament that weren't written until about 400 CE or have declared that there were only four gospels before Irenaus of Lyons did about 180 CE or even earlier. The Council of Nicea was about whether God was a trinity or not.
That book really did need paring down to make a decent movie, a fact admitted by Dan Brown himself in his foreward to the official illustrated screenplay. And I enjoyed the movie after the worst of the historical anomalies were removed from it.

Mrs Frisby and the rats of Nimh benefited from being visualised. In the original book the creatures were ordinary rats and mice. That wouldn't have worked as a children's film. Turn the rats into fantastic magical beings and it did work.

There's a problem about filming much-loved books like the Narnia and Lord of the Rings though - everybody has formed their own idea of what it looks like, and it can be quite jarring if the film-maker's idea is too much different from your own. For me, Aslan did not "work" in the Narnia film I saw.
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote