A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Beyond Anne McCaffrey

Beyond Anne McCaffrey We know Anne's not the only author you read and enjoy. Come here to discuss and discover authors beyond Anne!

Old Nov 30 2013, 08:26 AM   #1
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat
Default Favorite Terry Pratchett book, character, movie or all three! :-)

I have all his DiscWorld books and quite a few that are signed (thanks to my friend Dawn from the KT, my check book and her paypal account). I'd say I've been a fan for about 7 or 8 years, maybe a bit longer. I have so many favorite characters it's hard to pick just one. I named our newest little kitten Esmeralda, so that gives you a clue. She's a spitfire and totally lives up to her name. Actually, it depends on which book I'm reading who my current "favorite" is. I LOVE them all! He just has my type of humor, I guess.

I don't think I've seen all the movies that have been made. I own The Hogfather and will be watching it soon (again). Can someone list all the movies so I could perhaps let The Hogfather know what I'd like?
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30 2013, 02:56 PM   #2
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Fan of: White Dragon - Yay Ruth!
Default Re: Favorite Terry Pratchett book, character, movie or all three! :-)

Night Watch by far. Just amazing on so many levels. Personally, I'd love to see it as a film, but I imagine that would ruin it...so much of the book is inner monologue, and that wouldn't translate well to film...

I think the only live action movies so far are "The Hogfather", "The Colour of Magic" (which is based off the first two books) and "Going Postal". Although there were also a couple of animated films..."Wyrd Sisters" and "Soul Music", and possibly "Reaper Man"?
Almaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30 2013, 03:37 PM   #3
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Oh, yes. I remember I have a copy of The Colour of Magic as well, though I didn't like it as much as The Hogfather. I need to get a copy of Going Postal. I have a copy of the latest book Raising Steam (hardback, signed) coming in the mail.

I've got copies of the illustrated books The Wee Free Men and The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic. Also a copy of The Last Hero, illustrated by Paul Kidby.
Old Nov 30 2013, 03:42 PM   #4
Lily

Isn't it funny how some author's you just can't "get" ? I can't "get" Terry Pratchett.

But two that were made into plays now! - what were they now? "Wyrd Sisters" and a follow up on that crowd?? My theatre group has done both and I took a small "crowd scene" part and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.
Old Nov 30 2013, 04:04 PM   #5
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I think the witches are close to being my favorites. I'd love to be like Esme, though I have a feeling I'm more of a Magrat "wet hen"! They do have some really funny dialogue and I loved Witches Abroad, where Magrat gets the fairy godmother wand (much to the other witch's consternation) and they have to unravel the messes caused by Esme's sister!
Old Dec 1 2013, 04:47 AM   #6
Lily

I loved the witches. I could always have a look at the books they are in, I might like them better than the others??
Old Dec 1 2013, 06:50 AM   #7
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

You might, indeed. You could give them a try!
Old Dec 1 2013, 09:35 AM   #8
Golden Talisath
Dragonrider storyteller
Junior Weyrwoman

Fan of: F'lar and Lessa, DF
Now Reading: My university books

Death was always by far my favourite character, though I like the Witches and the Night Watch as well, and any books where Vetinari is has to be good. I've seen all three of his movies, and so it's a tie between Hogfather and Going Postal. Strangly enough, I didn't like the first two. I can watch them, but don't enjoy them as much as the other two.

From the Weyr and from the Bowl
Bronze and Brown and Blue and Green,
Rise the dragonmen of Pern,
Aloft, on wing, seen, then unseen.
Dragonman avoid excess
Greed will bring the Weyr distress;
To the ancient Laws adhere,
Prospers thus the Dragon-weyr.
Golden Talisath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1 2013, 09:53 AM   #9
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Oh, yes. Death! If he's waiting for me at the end of this "road" I don't think I'll mind going at all!

I agree about the first two movies. I really need to get a copy of Going Postal!
Old Dec 1 2013, 02:36 PM   #10
Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
You might, indeed. You could give them a try!
I think the witches are in several books aren't they? Is there a particular favourite you would recommend?
Old Dec 1 2013, 11:28 PM   #11
Brenda

I haven't read nearly all of them - I think I got about a third of the way through the series last time (local library doesn't have them all.)

I do remember liking the night watch books, and thinking that "Guards! Guards!" would be a good one to recommend as a stand-alone.

It's amazing how the style completely changed after the first couple of books - they're good too, but it's a totally different delivery.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8 2013, 09:49 AM   #12
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

My fav character, easily above all others, is Sam Vimes. It is, therefor, easy to understand that I like the book in which he features the best of the lot although I like them ALL, none excluded.

I've got all the movies/TV series that are out on video and all his books, though none of them signed. Consider me jealous, Cilla although, you can't collect all fav authors in that way, can't you? I'm glad with two (McCaffrey and Kerner).

I've a nice little anecdote for you regarding Practchett. Back in the days of the old KT Alex said Anne had consented to be Guest of Honour of the Dutch Elf Fair (biggest fantasy convention in The Netherlands) and would I mind being her minder for the days. I thought on it, maybe about 14 seconds, and said yes. I would gladly take days off, drive her, mind her, monitor her alcohol intake (sure, think again Alec! But I would have said yes to anything he asked at the time ) and pick her up from the floor when she had fallen or was too fast off the mark with the scooter. I even contacted the organisation and everything was A OK. Man, did I feel LUCKY! And then Anne had to cancel due to health reasons... I nearly cried. Then the day after the cancellation Anne told me I also missed a dinner with her and Terry Pratchett who would also have been a guest at the Elf Fantasy Fair that year. At that moment I was beyond tears and would gladly have killed someone, but alas, I couldn't find anyone responsible for Anne's cancellation :cry:

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8 2013, 10:49 AM   #13
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Oh, dear. I really think I would have cried!
Old Dec 8 2013, 04:03 PM   #14
Lily

What a huge disappointment for you Hans. But - this must have been ten years + ago, how long did Anne have to use a scooter? In America in 2004 when I had the great good fortune to be at a signing she was giving, she was on her own feet. It sounds as if she was not in particularly good health for many years?
Old Dec 9 2013, 07:04 AM   #15
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

When Cheryl, Anneli and I were invited to Dragonhold for the first time, that was in 2002, Anne walked (hobbled) difficult because of surgery she had had (she had been experiencing tgrouble with knees and hips for quite a while indeed).
This was shortly after that year, maybe 2003 or 2004, and it wasn't that she really should be in a scooter but that not using it at allwould have created difficulties. It was a habit to ask the organisation for one. Thus she used one at DragonCon when she felt she needed it for several years but also still in 2007 at EuroCon in Copenhagen, where we had a MoM delegation to attend. Same goes for Octocon where Anneli has been her minder once or twice. When I was staying at Dragonhold in 2006 (when Marjon and I did a grand tour or Ireland) Anne had her own scooter and a disabled persons parking permit, she might have had that for the year before that too,

You are correct to assume that Anne was a bit on and off healthwise for at least the last ten years of her life. Whether it be plain walking problems or joints problems or other health problems. We were always asked not to dwell on them and not to speak too public about Anne's sometimes precarious health. Let me tell you she has had to cancel many an invitation!

When you met her, did you saw her walk? If yes, you know why a scooter was always required from convention organisations In Copenhagen she could hardly get up from her chair, I had to help her and there's movie of that
http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=4602

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7 2017, 03:42 PM   #16
ghost8772

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: The Dresden Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Talisath View Post
Death was always by far my favourite character, though I like the Witches and the Night Watch as well, and any books where Vetinari is has to be good. I've seen all three of his movies, and so it's a tie between Hogfather and Going Postal. Strangly enough, I didn't like the first two. I can watch them, but don't enjoy them as much as the other two.
Reaper Man, That one I got, the others missed the mark with me, tried to get into them, after I read Reaper Man, some wer okay, others drug on. Gave up and went back to the one I liked.

Death, and Death of Rats, two favorite characters.

I've run across several movies, Color of Magic, Hogfather, and even Soul Music I think was made into a movie. watched a bit of Color of Magic, but not really much interest in it.
ghost8772 is offline   Reply With Quote