A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Exhibit Hall
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exhibit Hall For the exhibition of artistic creations by our members, from poetry and prose to drawings, photography, and digital art.

Old Jul 3 2009, 08:09 PM   #1
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon
Default Photo Club Show

Hi all! I'm in the local photo club, and we are having an exhibition (and sale!) at a local restaurant for the month of July. Tonight there is an "Art Walk" to showcase our work, and also visitors can meet the club members. I thought it might be fun to share the pictures that I've chosen to display here as well, so that everyone can see them.

I don't have time to post them all right at this moment, so keep guessing. . . !

This was taken at a Team Roping Finals near my home.

This is our older cat, Mr. Rugby, enjoying a bath.

I'll be back soon!
Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3 2009, 11:10 PM   #2
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow
Default Re: Photo Club Show

Very good pics.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4 2009, 03:33 AM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Nice pictures, they are. The cat pic is great, the other isn't

The cat pic lookse like it is a tad underexposed. Do you also postprocess, Weyrlady? With a program like Exposure of Photoshop?

The second picture hasn't got a level horizon (can't think of a reason for that in this picture) and for me, it also hasn't got a sense of movement. In other words, it's too sharp and frozen. But the subject an and moment is great

Oops, this ain't concrit and I'm not in the jury

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4 2009, 04:47 PM   #4
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Feel free to critique if you want to, Hans! Everybody else does. That's how I improve as a photographer! It's nice to have someone look at them who knows what they're doing, instead of, "I don't like that one because. . .um. . . because the one horse is brown- and I don't do brown."

I use Photoshop Elements for my post-processing. "Regular" Adobe Photoshop is a bit. . .much for me- too many bells and whistles!

When you say "the second pic" are you talking about the roping photo? Yup, now that you mention it, I defenitely see it- that horizon line is crooked. Team roping events happen fantastically fast, and you've really got to shoot fast, too, so hence the crooked horizon. Not that that's a good excuse, now is it? Do you know if there is a way to straiten the horizon in Photoshop Elements?

Here are the other 3 pictures:

Critique away!!
Old Jul 4 2009, 08:37 PM   #5
AnnMarie
Dragonrider
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

I love them all! I know how hard it is to get a good shot at a rodeo of any sort (I have a mass of blurred shots) I really like the colors in the canyon shot...so crisp!
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5 2009, 08:18 AM   #6
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyrlady View Post
I use Photoshop Elements for my post-processing. "Regular" Adobe Photoshop is a bit. . .much for me- too many bells and whistles!
That's what I use, so I can answer this. First make sure you have the grid turned on so you have a level reference (View--->Grid). Then go to the Image menu and choose Rotate--->Free Rotate Layer. Now you can rotate the pic. Hit enter when done to commit the rotate, and then crop the result to cut off the angled edges.

I like the cat and the sunset (faint but nice crepescular rays!), and the ones you've used in Thematic Photog.

To properly lighten the cat in PS Elements, don't just adjust the brightness as that will wash out the picture. Instead you make a duplicate of the layer and then change the layer setting from "normal" to "screen". If that makes it too bright, then turn down the opacity of the new layer a bit; not bright enough then duplicate the screen layer again, etc.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6 2009, 01:14 AM   #7
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Thanks all! Muchos gracias for the specific directions in Photoshop, Cheryl.
Old Jul 6 2009, 02:43 AM   #8
Hans
Master Archivist

Great that Ceryl has Elements. I think I have a copy somewhere of an older version but I don't have it installed as I am working with the latest version of Photoshop. In that, by the way, the function you want is even more refined.

I'm not sure if Cheryl's solution is the one to lighten up your pictures. The screen function is there for the screen and doesn't give trustwirthy results outside of it, especially not since your screen intself emits light and your pictures will always look different on the screen than printed. I don't know if Eements lets you play with the levels but if you can you should. The washed out effect can then be undone by playing with contrast. All within measure of course.

About your second set;

the brick building against the mountainside look like table top photography! It has an unreal quality and extreme lighting that will induce this effect, probably because of a desert sun?

The canyin picture is great but the upper, sky half of the picture can use more contrast. Compaired with the vivid colours and luminance of the bottom half it looks a little light and washed out. So select this part seperately in Elements and play with contrast a little.

The sunset picture was taken at the right moment, like Cheryl I like it. For some reason though photocontest jurys often do not seem to like photographs like these.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jul 6 2009, 07:37 AM   #9
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
I'm not sure if Cheryl's solution is the one to lighten up your pictures. The screen function is there for the screen and doesn't give trustwirthy results outside of it, especially not since your screen intself emits light and your pictures will always look different on the screen than printed. I don't know if Eements lets you play with the levels but if you can you should. The washed out effect can then be undone by playing with contrast. All within measure of course.
Hmm, I learned the trick with the screen function from a book on PS Elements, which I don't think was just teaching techniques that would make the picture look good on a monitor. Is it possible the function works different in Elements from full PS?

Elements does let you adjust levels: Enhance-->Lighting-->Levels, or ctrl-L
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6 2009, 10:09 AM   #10
Hans
Master Archivist

That means teh control-L function is the exact same as in regular Photoshop.

I think I'll install Elements and have a look around; can't hurt!

Old Jul 6 2009, 11:51 PM   #11
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

I love the action of the team roping...and the beauty of the sunset...thanks for sharing!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7 2009, 09:08 PM   #12
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Hans, you're the 2nd person to have said that about the brick building photo! I think that you're right. . . it's the directional lighting from the early evening sun. My dad said, "Oh, that looks like a little clay model." Funny! That's Square Tower House in Mesa Verde NP in Colorado, and the lighting was that beautiful peachy, sexy light that only comes in the evening. (At least around here!) We visited the park just prior to dusk, which made some photography impossible, especially the ruins on the western canyon wall. Square Tower House happened to be perfectly lit by the setting sun.

Thanks for all the PS tips- I 'recently' disxzccovered the Levels and Shadows/Highlights features and love them.
Old Jul 8 2009, 02:32 AM   #13
Hans
Master Archivist

Elements has the shadow/highlight feature? A fantastic tool but be careful with it

When used at extreme settings it amazes me every time what a digital camera has registered under bad (lighting) conditions!