A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Beyond Anne McCaffrey
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beyond Anne McCaffrey We know Anne's not the only author you read and enjoy. Come here to discuss and discover authors beyond Anne!

Old Jun 19 2007, 10:50 PM   #121
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow
Default Re: Books you just couldn't finish!

A coulple if months ago Kibbies a book called dragon rider. She read it staight threw. several hundred pages and she read most of it on the way home, about 2 hours. I thought the book was great for someone Kibbie's age, which is who it was writen for, but, too childish for me. I do like some Y.A books tho.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20 2007, 04:32 PM   #122
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Is that the one by Cornelia Funke?

My g'kids love the way the map folds out.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26 2007, 04:44 AM   #123
FlameCat
Dragonrider
Candidate

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Grimm's Fairy Tales

Read that because there was nothing else in the library...
sadly i outgrew Cornelia Funke a couple of years ago... they just don't keep my attention anymore...
FlameCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26 2007, 01:13 PM   #124
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

@ P'ter yes Cornelia Funke wrote it.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3 2007, 06:24 PM   #125
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day

There are not a lot of books I give up on, but one is The Hobbit.

I have read all Anne's books, but only a little bit of The Lady. It just cannot catch me. I will read it to the end eventually, I think.

There should be a thread named "the longest I ever took to read one book". I have just spent two long months reading Alastair Reynolds Chasm City. Other books takes years to read, interrupted of course by other more readable treasures

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3 2007, 11:34 PM   #126
r2005
Crafter
Student

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: 1632 Series by Eric Flint

One book that I started and never finished was The Wicked Day by Mary Stewart. I read her other books about Merlin and really enjoyed them. I think at one point I was reading several other things at once, and The Wicked Day got pushed onto the bottom of the pile. If I were to pick it up again, I have to go back and reread the other three books first because I think I read them for the first time in middle school.

It took me awhile to read through the LOTR. At first, I started them after I'd read the Hobbit when I was in 5th grade, and I wasn't quite ready for the language in the LOTR. I finished those in high school because it was a goal I set for myself.

I could probably list all kinds of books from all my years of school that I was happy the day we finished them, but I've blocked them out of my memory.

I'm sure there are other books, but I can't think of them off the top of my head. Normally if I start a book, I tend to finish them, so there aren't that many on my list that I haven't finished.
Old Oct 16 2007, 03:05 AM   #127
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day

I have to add two more books recently not read

Jules Verne: Paris in the 20th century (stopped in first chapter!)

Tad Williams: Otherland (stopped 1/3 in)

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17 2007, 10:16 AM   #128
Chertl
Inactive

Fan of: Pern series
Now Reading: lots of books to baby!

I have a hard time reading ALL of Diana Gabaldon's (sp) books. I don't necessarily give up on them before the end, but I'm prone to skipping whole sections.
Chertl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18 2007, 01:30 PM   #129
Lara
Inactive

Fan of: Pern,Petaybee,Freedom
Now Reading: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

The Ringworld series and Jordan's ghastly repetetive Wheel of Time thing. I really could not get on with either of them. In another genre, Joseph Conrad is another writer I can't stomach. I managed to finish Lord Jim, but nothing else of his. Henry James, also, sends me to sleep.
Of other books/ series mentioned, I love Pratchett, Lord of the Rings and The Hitchhiker's Guide.
Lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18 2007, 04:01 PM   #130
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Now Reading: Dragonflight

Nina

Do persevere with "The Lady", it's very different from her sci-fi/fantasy books, but I have to say, other than the Pern series it's my favourite AMC book Of course, that might have something to do with the fact that I love riding horses and was a typical "pony-mad kid"

As for the thread, please go ahead and start it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina View Post
I have read all Anne's books, but only a little bit of The Lady. It just cannot catch me. I will read it to the end eventually, I think.

There should be a thread named "the longest I ever took to read one book". I have just spent two long months reading Alastair Reynolds Chasm City. Other books takes years to read, interrupted of course by other more readable treasures
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20 2007, 02:21 PM   #131
FlameCat
Dragonrider
Candidate

Labyrinth - by Kate Mosse

maybe i need to try it again...
Old Oct 20 2007, 03:40 PM   #132
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I admit the time jumps are a bit obtrusive, but I have sufficient interest in that region of France, and the Cathars, that I ploughed on through.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20 2007, 04:57 PM   #133
Sandi

I like The Lady too, probably because I also used to be heavily involved with horses. A book I just remembered I never could get through was Gone with the Wind, though I know it was (is?) hugely popular. I was about 14 when I tried it but I've never felt inclined to pick it up again.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20 2007, 05:09 PM   #134
Hans
Master Archivist

That's funny, Sandi, my wife did plough through end enjoyed the exremely thick book but couldn't sit out the 3 hour movie

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20 2007, 08:54 PM   #135
Sandi

I her for getting through that book. I've seen the movie a couple of times because my Mom wanted to watch it. In general I enjoy historical movies and books but, maybe because I've spent most of my life in the Southern US, I got tired of the Civil War very early on. I know both the book and movie are very popular, it's just an oddity of mine that I don't care for it.
Old Oct 22 2007, 08:27 PM   #136
r2005
Crafter
Student

It didn't take me too long to get through Gone With the Wind, and I remembering enjoying it too.

I also read Les Miserables, in English, and it did take me quite awhile to get through it. Although, I can never really say I dropped it entirely, but I think I took a break or two in the process of reading it. Perhaps one of these days I'll have to find a copy of it French, there will be an undertaking. Although, I know I have a much better grasp on the French language now, than when I orginally read Les Miserables.
Old Oct 23 2007, 06:19 AM   #137
Lara
Inactive

Fan of: Pern,Petaybee,Freedom
Now Reading: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

I'm now plodding my way grimly through the second book in The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever, and finding it very hard going indeed. Was there ever such a completely hateful protagonist? I will try, I'll really try, to finish this book, and even the third, since I actually bought them, but I don't hold out much hope.
Lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24 2007, 10:56 AM   #138
Brenda

If you are not enjoying reading the books, it's not worth finishing them, even just because you bought them. (This is why I almost never buy a book I haven't read first at the library - I usually only buy books I know I will read and reread. And ENJOY.)
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24 2007, 11:57 AM   #139
sjslack
Inactive

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: as usual

Joseph Conrad - Heart of Darkness.

I got half a page into the first chapter and then went to clean the kitchen. We needed to read it for a Seminar, but I just ended up reading an overview on the 'net it was that dire.
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24 2007, 01:18 PM   #140
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Uggg, Heart of Darkness. Not only did I have to read that one for school, but we were required to buy our own copies of it.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24 2007, 01:22 PM   #141
sjslack
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
Uggg, Heart of Darkness. Not only did I have to read that one for school, but we were required to buy our own copies of it.
£1.50 -Nodnod- Making friends with all of the 2nd Hand bookshop owners in the area within the first week is a -good- idea. xDD
Old Oct 24 2007, 05:15 PM   #142
r2005
Crafter
Student

I got out of reading the Heart of Darkness in school, and I've only heard the title, I don't even know the plot of it . I think that book was on the reading list for some English classes in high school. It might have been the Honors classes, which I didn't take. Instead I took the level 1 English class, just to make my life easier....although I made it difficult in other aspects of my education.

I recall not liking reading The Great Gatsby in high school, nor did I really care for Things Fall Apart. My junior year of English, I don't remember what we did that much because one we didn't do much of anything, and most of it was poetry. I do enjoy poetry, but I just don't like doing almost an entire year of school on poetry.
Old Oct 26 2007, 05:06 AM   #143
FlameCat
Dragonrider
Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2005 View Post
I recall not liking reading The Great Gatsby in high school
AHHHHHH!!! *runs away* i didn't like the great gatsby either, or, GREAT EXPECTATIONS *shudders* (didn't accutally finish that one - found a synopsis and read that instead.)

Its always easier when there is a film of it, Daisy in the GG film is so 'blonde' ('scuse the expression)
Old Oct 28 2007, 01:29 AM   #144
r2005
Crafter
Student

Now that I think about it, I've never read any Dickens stories. I've seen movie versions of Oliver Twist and A Christmas Carol. I think my limited knowledge of the other books is from watching Jeopardy, and other trivia shows.

I could go through the really long list of books I had to read for my Honors classes in college. Some of those books were really dry, and often I barely finished them. I've read Locke, Marx, Descartes, Freud, and more. Reading all of those books expanded my mind, but at times it was torture.
Old Oct 28 2007, 02:54 PM   #145
Gwina
Talent Telempath-Healer

Fan of: white dragon, tower/hive
Now Reading: Insurgent, The Last Apprentice, Damia (again)

Quote:
Ohmigosh...I know that feeling! "the horror, the horror" :haha: another one for me tho is Stephen King. I know he's a biggie and I tried, but I just couldn't make it through his novels.
"Whatever zapped me seems to have burned off the outlived dross and stupidities any human collects along the way. I don't mind being two hundred and fifteen years old. In fact, it's fun, in a bizarre fashion."
Gwina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28 2007, 05:00 PM   #146
Brenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2005
Now that I think about it, I've never read any Dickens stories. I've seen movie versions of Oliver Twist and A Christmas Carol.
I haven't really gotten into any of the Dickens books I've read, EXCEPT for A Christmas Carol, which I read every December and which always brings tears. The movies are good, but the book is best.

I haven't really read much other Dickens - A Tale of Two Cities and Oliver Twist. And Cricket on the Hearth, which I don't even remember except that I know I read it.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29 2007, 06:21 AM   #147
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

? Zindel's books, borrowed them off my father-in-law and 20 pages into any of his books put me to sleep, even though my father-in-law thought they were good. See, I can't even remember the author's name, that's how much it put me to sleep ..................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... ..............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........I may wake up eventually..........................zzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzz............zzzzzzzzzz
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29 2007, 12:13 PM   #148
Sandi

I've often wondered at the things generally considered literature. Maybe it was because I did 8th grade and up in Virginia, but I remember classes that were very heavy on Poe. There was also Crime and Punishment and the one about the guy who turns into a cockroach and the boys on the island...... lots of just plain sick stuff. Then we wonder when impressionable teenagers go on rampages.
Old Oct 30 2007, 08:21 AM   #149
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Ah yes, the cockroach story, that's a classic. "Metamorphosis" by Kafka, IIRC.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30 2007, 08:55 AM   #150
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

Quote:
I actually listened to that on the radio. Poor insect
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30 2007, 11:37 AM   #151
r2005
Crafter
Student

Quote:
I had to read that for one of my classes. It's a very strange story, but it is short, so I didn't find as hard to get through as other things.
Old Oct 31 2007, 08:50 PM   #152
Killa's Apple Pie

I think I want to try to read Metamorphosis just to say I have read it at some point *chuckle*

A few I have not been able to make it through are Adam Bede, Moby Dick *snore*, and The Scarlet Letter. The first two bored me, the last one I hated with a burning intensity (was a HS required read but the last half of the book I read synapses of plot on the internet)
Old Oct 31 2007, 09:17 PM   #153
sjslack
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa's Apple Pie View Post
I think I want to try to read Metamorphosis just to say I have read it at some point *chuckle*

A few I have not been able to make it through are Adam Bede, Moby Dick *snore*, and The Scarlet Letter. The first two bored me, the last one I hated with a burning intensity (was a HS required read but the last half of the book I read synapses of plot on the internet)
Adam Bede? Uh-oh...I have to read that in two weeks for another Seminar...
Old Nov 1 2007, 04:02 AM   #154
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

Quote:

Metamorphosis is available on Project Gutenberg, which is where I caught up with he episode I missed on the radio.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1 2007, 08:29 AM   #155
Joz
Inactive

Fan of: The Crystal Singer

Quote:
A few I have not been able to make it through are Adam Bede, Moby Dick *snore*, ...<snip>
I ended up reading an expurgated version of Moby Dick, about 250 pages or so, and was surprised at how much humour was in it. Ridiculous humour, most generated by Queequeg. I can heartily recommending getting hold of such a version and trying again. It really does get rid of most of the thee-ing and thou-ing in it.
Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27 2007, 08:11 AM   #156
Thea
Inactive

Fan of: Crystal Singer, Pern
Now Reading: Crystal Line

I struggled to finish LOTR at first, but perseverance paid off in the end. Other than that, the only books I can remember not being able to finish were Robert Newcomb's The Fifth Sorceress and Tad Williams' Otherworld. I didn't have a very high opinion of the first, and the second just didn't grab me. I'm sure there have been others, but I'll have to give it a little more thought.
Thea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27 2007, 03:57 PM   #157
Hans
Master Archivist

LotR does take perseverance and I dare say the story doesn't actually get better in the third book but you do need the end especially after reading the first two volumes and... there ARE gems in the third book, too (Merry and Pippin).

A book I recently put away to even leave my library, yes even my house was Dragondoom by Dennis L. McKiernan (otherwise a good writer of which I have more books). If anybody likes it they can have it for the cost of the envelope and postage!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jan 19 2008, 12:26 AM   #158
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.

Stephen R. Donaldson: White Gold Wielder. A lot of people I knew just loved it and the whole series. But 92 pages into the first book I was dead bored with it. It was like chewing chalk.

The first time I attempted to read LOTR, I flagged out in the middle of FOTR. This was probably because I read the Silmarillion first, then The Hobbit, and by the time I got to FOTR, I was burned out. The chapter "In the house of Tom Bombadil" just sank it. When the movies came out, I decided to try again, and read through all three books of LOTR just fine...with the exception of "In the house of Tom Bombadil" which sticks out like a bizarre sore thumb in the rest of the ediface.
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19 2008, 12:28 AM   #159
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joz View Post
I ended up reading an expurgated version of Moby Dick, about 250 pages or so, and was surprised at how much humour was in it. Ridiculous humour, most generated by Queequeg. I can heartily recommending getting hold of such a version and trying again. It really does get rid of most of the thee-ing and thou-ing in it.
I had a class where they forced us to read the whole, unabridged thing. I've had a hatred for early American literature ever since and sincerely believe some thing should be incorporated in the Geneva Convention about Melville.
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19 2008, 11:53 AM   #160
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricDragon View Post
Stephen R. Donaldson: White Gold Wielder. A lot of people I knew just loved it and the whole series. But 92 pages into the first book I was dead bored with it. It was like chewing chalk.

The first time I attempted to read LOTR, I flagged out in the middle of FOTR. This was probably because I read the Silmarillion first, then The Hobbit, and by the time I got to FOTR, I was burned out. The chapter "In the house of Tom Bombadil" just sank it. When the movies came out, I decided to try again, and read through all three books of LOTR just fine...with the exception of "In the house of Tom Bombadil" which sticks out like a bizarre sore thumb in the rest of the ediface.
I partly agree with you on LotR; hearing comments like you make made me understand why so much authors insist/suggest reading in published order

I started out with the trilogy and loved it tough I completely agree wth you on the Tom Bombadil intermezzo But then, professor Tolkien was known for them...

Donaldson is something different and uncomparable. When I asked Anne what she tought of him she said she thought he wrote too difficult Yes, you have to have something special to appreciate Donaldson, he's certainly not for every reader and especially nor for the happy-fluffy-let's get some distraction from real life reader!
I'm one of the die hards/ I already saw the first volume of his Last Chrionicles (Runes of the Earth) sols as remainders, so the publisher thought too highly of then I guess... still I actually am reading Fatal Revenant now and will definitely read the following volumes. Not all things in life are easy!