A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Jun 24 2020, 12:53 AM   #41
Eriflor

Default Re: New Pern Books !

Quote:
2. When Piemur went back to the Harper Hall for a meeting, I got the impression that the crafthall was part of Fort Hold, and Sylvina was definitely referred to as headwoman of Fort Hold, not the Harper Hall.
Gigi tends to refer to the Harper Hall as "the Great hall of Fort" in places.

In fact, as shown in the Atlas of Pern, Fort Hold does have a Great Hall, used for major meetings, banquets, Turn's End celebrations, etc. The Harper Hall also has a Great Hall, mainly used as a venue for big public concerts. Piemur would not have been sitting having a cup of klah in either space, and had no good reason to be in the Hold itself at all. He was waiting for a message from J'hon and needed to be where he could be found.

----
In Chapter 8 there's an after-supper entertainment that includes lots of harpers (and probably healers, who still have sleeping space at the Hall), holders (notably Lord Groghe) and over a dozen dragonriders, with the implication that this is a typical evening activity.
Unlikely, I think --- nothing like that happened in the Harper Hall trilogy, other than people sitting around chatting for a while after the meal. Also, both Weyrs and major holds have their own harpers for entertainment and teaching.
Maybe once a week? Or just on special occasions, as this is how the Hall earns marks.
Eriflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25 2020, 08:50 AM   #42
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Pronouns: He/him
Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Remember that the hold and weyr harpers were also the schoolstaff and magistrates/arbitrators.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25 2020, 07:50 PM   #43
Eriflor

Right! Sorry, I was over-simplifying a bit there, mainly to suggest that the Holds and Weyrs weren't dependent on the Harper Hall for an evening's entertainment.

The Hall would probably also train record-keepers, clerks, surveyors, accountants, etc., or at least teach basic courses that could be augmented by serving under a journeyman with these skills in a Hold or Crafthall. The Harper Hall trilogy doesn't go into this aspect of apprentice training, other than scripting and embellishing documents, but it must have been covered in the Teachers' College (see Dragonseye).

I'm guessing the hard sciences would be taught at the Smithcraft Hall, Biology at the Healer Hall.
Old May 22 2021, 02:40 AM   #44
Bristol

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Dragon's Code

I found the book to be excellent. The description of Stupid with 6 legs was way off. And puting the Harper Hall inside Fort Hold instead of across from it as Anne clearly indicated was also off, but the rest felt like Pern and Piemur. It felt right, though not quite as good as her mom. I definitely want to see more from her.
Bristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7 2021, 05:05 PM   #45
Eriflor

I enjoyed it too. I'll probably read it again and ignore the discrepancies. They just bugged me at the time.

Most of Todd's books I only read once. All the different groups that were time-travelling just confused me --- I'd have had to read all the books (and Dragon's Kin? Dragon's Blood? the one after Chronicles of Pern) again in order of publication to make sense of the overall saga.
Old Jun 9 2021, 10:55 PM   #46
Eriflor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousFlit View Post
I haven't finished it yet, but two things confuse me a lot. First of all, why does it say that Piemur was sent to Southern Weyr by Master Robinton? It's been a while since I've read Dragondrums, but didn't Piemur end up in the south by accident from falling asleep in an oldtimer dragonrider's sack after stealing a firelizard egg? Second of all, why does Stupid have six legs, and why is he called a ruminant? He's a runnerbeast, which are equines bred from Earth horses. They even call them horses again in All the Weyrs of Pern after Aivas reminded them of their history.
After Robinton learned that Piemur was in the south, he named him Drum Journeyman and assigned him to help Journeyman Saneter to set up message drums in the south and teach drum codes to whoever needed them. Then Piemur had to return north to officially walk the tables. Then Robinton sent him back to keep an eye on the Oldtimers' Weyr.
Old Jun 10 2021, 08:51 AM   #47
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

Quote:
I haven't finished it yet, but two things confuse me a lot. First of all, why does it say that Piemur was sent to Southern Weyr by Master Robinton? It's been a while since I've read Dragondrums, but didn't Piemur end up in the south by accident from falling asleep in an oldtimer dragonrider's sack after stealing a firelizard egg? Second of all, why does Stupid have six legs, and why is he called a ruminant? He's a runnerbeast, which are equines bred from Earth horses. They even call them horses again in All the Weyrs of Pern after Aivas reminded them of their history.
Horses are runnerbeasts but runnerbeasts are NOT horses! Runnerbeast is a collective noun for anything that can be ridden, including oxen, which are ruminants. It is very obvious that the "runnerbeast" that Anne describes in minute detail at the beginning of Dragondrums is definitely not a horse, it had cloven hooves. It also appears to be less intelligent than a horse or a cattle-beast. Someone once suggested that it might have been a donkey.
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11 2021, 10:57 AM   #48
Eriflor

Was that Chapter 3 of DragonDrums? I didn't see anything there about cloven hooves.
Old Jun 11 2021, 11:12 AM   #49
Eriflor

Quote:
I haven't finished it yet, but two things confuse me a lot. First of all, why does it say that Piemur was sent to Southern Weyr by Master Robinton? It's been a while since I've read Dragondrums, but didn't Piemur end up in the south by accident from falling asleep in an oldtimer dragonrider's sack after stealing a firelizard egg?

Second of all, why does Stupid have six legs, and why is he called a ruminant? He's a runnerbeast, which are equines bred from Earth horses. They even call them horses again in All the Weyrs of Pern after Aivas reminded them of their history.
Stupid definitely shouldn't have 6 legs. (And didn't, in DragonDrums.) Kit Ping Yung and her team of geneticists were initially working on adapting ordinary Terran animals and plants so they could survive in the Pernese environment, where the soil was heavy in boron. There would be no reason to give horses an extra pair of legs.
Old Jun 12 2021, 07:27 AM   #50
vyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriflor View Post
Was that Chapter 3 of DragonDrums? I didn't see anything there about cloven hooves.
Chapter 3 p.46 in my hardbound copy. Piemur hides the the miners' cut sapphires in his boots then ...

"A clink of boot nails on the ridge stone warned him and, whistling tunelessly, he picked up the beast's feet in turn, checking for stones in the cleft hooves."

This is the same creature that is described at the beginning of the chapter, too skinny and dumb for a horse, and not a herdbeast, which suggests that it isn't an ox, though it could be some other kind of genetically altered ruminant, oxen and buffalo are ridden and yaks are used as burden beasts.

And nowhere in Dragondrums does it actually say that Stupid had four legs - or six either. We just assume that he has four because most of the Pernese settler animals are bog-standard European animals sometimes given fancy collective names to give a hint of alien environment. The only mention of Stupid's legs is the tiny hoof sticking out from under his dead mother. So he wasn't a llama, which has pads, and I'd expect anything indigenous to have lizardy feet and claws.

Ruathan runners are clearly horses. Somewhere, I can't remember which book it is in, Robinton encounters something that answers the description of a high-spirited, hot-blooded stallion.
Old Jun 15 2021, 12:10 AM   #51
Eriflor

As I said above, there was no good reason to breed Terran horses with 2 extra legs. And after Kit Ping died there wasn't any one left with her level of skill at using the Eridani equations.

However, Ned Tubberman was doing a bit of experimentation en route to developing the Thread-eating grubs. Maybe he decided to see what happened if he cross-bred Terran and Pernese ova.
Old Jul 9 2021, 02:31 AM   #52
BD1

Fan of: Harper Hall trilogy
Now Reading: The complete arrows trilogy

So far, she's written one book ( that I know of). To me it was mediocre!!
Old Jul 13 2021, 11:40 AM   #53
Bristol

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Dragon's Code

If you read Moreta, Dragonsdawn, and All They Weyrs of Pern, runnerbeasts are horses. They were horses in DD through to the crossing north. Runnel knew all the runnerbeast lineages back to that same crossing to the north. And AVIAS confirmed that 9th pass runnerbeasts were horses. Also in DD, there were no large animals on Pern. The Wherry was the largest and the size of a large Turkey. No herbivores of any size so no native animals that could be called runnerbeasts. There were llamas which, in Pernese nomenclature, could be runnerbeasts as well.

I consider it a minor mistake (one of two) in an otherwise excellent novel.
Bristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14 2021, 07:39 AM   #54
vyon

1 The runnerbeast that Piemur rides at the beginning of Dragondrums is definitely not a horse (neither is it six-legged.) Runnerbeast is simply a collective noun for something that can be ridden, therefore while horses are runnerbeasts it does NOT follow that all runnerbeasts are horses.
2 If there were no large animals on Pern, or none showed up in the less than cursory flyover done by the original short-handed survey, then there couldn't be wherrys either, because they are large predators which have to be eating something other than grass. So what is the natural prey of the wherrys?
Old Jul 16 2021, 03:25 PM   #55
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Pronouns: SheShe
Fan of: PShPern BB, Tia., and Oth
Now Reading: MHOP, Books Jerry Apps, Too Many to Post
2cent Re: New Pern Books !

Sorry once more to post on top of your post not on the bottom,, having nabbagation problems with my new helpperprogram.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyon View Post
1 The runnerbeast that Piemur rides at the beginning of Dragondrums is definitely not a horse (neither is it six-legged.) Runnerbeast is simply a collective noun for something that can be ridden, therefore while horses are runnerbeasts it does NOT follow that all runnerbeasts are horses.
2 If there were no large animals on Pern, or none showed up in the less than cursory flyover done by the original short-handed survey, then there couldn't be wherrys either, because they are large predators which have to be eating something other than grass. So what is the natural prey of the wherrys?
PS note on top if thos don't post right They each what they can find, grubs, trundle buts, each eother, and they are six limb front and back legs and wings :P Tunnle-Snakes, six legs are six leg ed too. JJust sayhing.

Ref MHOP Big Black from the then Lord HOlde5r of Telgar, for he was handful, for the olonly way anyone got sadle him, and/or add saddle packs, while he was in the stall. I only have the an audo copy unabrighted by read by Dick Hill, but it was after F'lon was kikill at the Telgar Gather by Fax Man, and Roobinton was hhurit . and in from his son. Names are hard for me to Spell, I acan say them but not spell them. I don't have every thing set up with this PC yet.

After Robbbinton drummed the message that the Then Wyerleader was killed. he roade back weith a gggrud of md mem from Teglar back to Harper Hall., stoping at RRuthua and see the tasperaryy and Lessa on that trip. I have listen to the book a fe time. , sp OI recall parts of it, just not what chaper it was or where its is in hard copy for I can't see pag numbers anyy more.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16 2021, 03:33 PM   #56
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol View Post
If you read Moreta, Dragonsdawn, and All They Weyrs of Pern, runnerbeasts are horses. They were horses in DD through to the crossing north. Runnel knew all the runnerbeast lineages back to that same crossing to the north. And AVIAS confirmed that 9th pass runnerbeasts were horses. Also in DD, there were no large animals on Pern. The Wherry was the largest and the size of a large Turkey. No herbivores of any size so no native animals that could be called runnerbeasts. There were llamas which, in Pernese nomenclature, could be runnerbeasts as well.

See my new post, about Big Black a Stalon. "O I am still learing how work with my new helper progrom here, but some of my post are gong to get jumble to together.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jul 16 2021, 04:09 PM   #57
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Fan View Post
New PERN book, Dragon Code, arrived today, I am about 3/4 thru rereading Great Expectations, Pip may have to go on hold for awhile.
I uUnderstand, a new book that I haven't read year and its twice as hard,, when I can't find start of this Thread with my new helpper program yet, so you have moved, I am still at the same place, but thinngs have changes that I can't see to read hard copy with out a helpper program. Unsure if its in so I can r4ead via audio or not . Sspeed for reading stuff,, When I can get my staff back adding Audio book to my list of links and see if in would be my next job. PS Gig was her mom edider for years on Pern, and copyedider recall from an essy writter in DDragonwriter, by here I think . Been waiting for a new Pern Book or more for a bit. EceEVen If I can't see to read them any more. GinnyStarorry for rambleming here, just a little irk at the moving a round like an ol
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jul 25 2021, 07:43 PM   #58
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Dragon Code, I am trying to understand, my text to speach software ande browser , and still, havemoved over all my old files, from my old to this new one.

Its sometimees take for it to go to audio, so I shall have to keep an eye out for it, for the last book that I "read" was Sky Dragons, and the oother in that groups, well hafe to waite and see if Audibled has its, for I xstill have one key for one of my player, and credits theire. somehow I've lost the other key e-file aka e-,mail of the other player. and I am quite irk about tha. For its has the rest of AAnne's work on it.

So if osme see it please let me know, yyour best way is PM me, might take time for me to answer,, I am still trying to get thing set upp ssume stuff before my temporary staff has got back to scschool/wwork who had been helping me out.. TThanks. Or just add the link here and I shall ttry and get there sometime its wormks I need to get that set :mug: :rool: one of those many to do things on my list.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jul 28 2021, 01:16 AM   #59
CuriousFlit

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol View Post

Wherries aren't turkey sized though. They *look* like four-legged turkeys but are the size of ostriches.
CuriousFlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28 2021, 01:24 AM   #60
CuriousFlit

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern

Quote:
You make very good points, and I believe it's even mentioned in Dragonsblood that 80-ish percent of Pern's animal life hadn't been documented. I just thought they had meant insects, but then I remembered we do get one off mentions of other Pern animals in some books, like "whersport", "nightbeast", "deep ones", and even "avians/birds".
CuriousFlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29 2021, 06:06 PM   #61
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Well I haven't got my stuff transfer, but when I do, I comment better, but drwing from the other books and shrort stories, can 't comment better, just keep thing going a idea came to me.

That I have read/listen too. A few folks have seen riding on a fesw thing, ROP comes and fomr the Girl Who Heard Dragons tbhey are not the are not to ride, but that how they got into the cave, before Threadfall. Its also around the 15 Turns that this is happening if I recall right. I must wait, till I have help get my manger and then I can listen/read this book. I have been waiting for a bit, I can ewait for a bit longer.to mind The Renegades of Pern,, sorry I got taht bbackwards. one, of the traider children was iding a beard-beast r
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Aug 2 2021, 09:15 AM   #62
BD1

The book Gigi wrote from Piemur's pov of the events of The White Dragon was, in my opinion, worse than Todd's books!! I really hope her writing gets better!!!
Old Aug 2 2021, 09:20 AM   #63
BD1

I'm looking forward to the next book!!!
Old Aug 2 2021, 03:01 PM   #64
Eriflor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyStar View Post
Well I haven't got my stuff transfer, but when I do, I comment better, but drwing from the other books and shrort stories, can 't comment better, just keep thing going a idea came to me.

That I have read/listen too. A few folks have seen riding on a fesw thing, ROP comes and fomr the Girl Who Heard Dragons tbhey are not the are not to ride, but that how they got into the cave, before Threadfall. Its also around the 15 Turns that this is happening if I recall right. I must wait, till I have help get my manger and then I can listen/read this book. I have been waiting for a bit, I can ewait for a bit longer.to mind The Renegades of Pern,, sorry I got taht bbackwards. one, of the traider children was iding a beard-beast r

The Lilcamps called the animals that pulled their big wagons "burdenbeasts". They were yoked together 8-at a time. According to the picture on the front of Renegades of Pern, they looked more like oxen (historically used in Europe to pull wagons and ploughs), so they may have been developed from bovines instead of horses, or it may be a misunderstanding by the artist.

Aramina's parents had a smaller family-size wagon, and it was pulled by 2 "dray-beasts" at the time they were rescued by K'van. (However, they lost a team earlier when the beasts ran off during Threadfall, so two may not be the usual number.) One of the beasts had horns, and a nose-ring for control purposes, which sounds more like a bovine. It also "bellowed" when hurt. I never noticed those details before.

So on the whole, I think beasts used for hauling and heavy lifting may have been developed from bovines, and runner-beasts of various sizes and types from equines.
Old Aug 2 2021, 08:36 PM   #65
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
The book Gigi wrote from Piemur's pov of the events of The White Dragon was, in my opinion, worse than Todd's books!! I really hope her writing gets better!!!
The Sidhe Chronicles
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Aug 2 2021, 11:54 PM   #66
vyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriflor View Post
The Lilcamps called the animals that pulled their big wagons "burdenbeasts". They were yoked together 8-at a time. According to the picture on the front of Renegades of Pern, they looked more like oxen (historically used in Europe to pull wagons and ploughs), so they may have been developed from bovines instead of horses, or it may be a misunderstanding by the artist.

Aramina's parents had a smaller family-size wagon, and it was pulled by 2 "dray-beasts" at the time they were rescued by K'van. (However, they lost a team earlier when the beasts ran off during Threadfall, so two may not be the usual number.) One of the beasts had horns, and a nose-ring for control purposes, which sounds more like a bovine. It also "bellowed" when hurt. I never noticed those details before.

So on the whole, I think beasts used for hauling and heavy lifting may have been developed from bovines, and runner-beasts of various sizes and types from equines.
"Dray-beasts" are traditionally heavy horses. Yoking 8 at a time suggests oxen rather than horses. From reading ancestral settler diaries, oxen were preferred to horses for burden-beasts here (In New Zealand and Australia)
because they could actually pull more weight, they were less temperamental, and because they could browse on the native vegetation while horses needed more specialised food which would have to be carried along with the original load.

It would make sense for Pernese burden beasts to be some development of bovines, small tough ponies, llamas, or even large canines depending on the size of the load and the terrain to be covered. They have all been used as burden-beasts here on Earth.
Old Aug 3 2021, 07:29 PM   #67
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
"Dray-beasts" are traditionally heavy horses. Yoking 8 at a time suggests oxen rather than horses. From reading ancestral settler diaries, oxen were preferred to horses for burden-beasts here (In New Zealand and Australia)
because they could actually pull more weight, they were less temperamental, and because they could browse on the native vegetation while horses needed more specialised food which would have to be carried along with the original load.

It would make sense for Pernese burden beasts to be some development of bovines, small tough ponies, llamas, or even large canines depending on the size of the load and the terrain to be covered. They have all been used as burden-beasts here on Earth.
Red In the Short Story, The Ford of Red Hanner and from the Chronicles of Pern of First Fall Used Oxes hed had a patteren, that Kitty Ping made for him., and he was listen to loan out to others, , For the US cover, Michle Wheland, said that he read the book to get ideas for the cover, most theof time, into how to papaint the covers, and yes, the theamm, from the GWHD the both had rings and horns, and cloven hoof. For they both used their horns at differnt time in the story, I have heard both GWHD and ROoP to recall both times,., and I am hjhoping to get the newst book thisone that Gigi wrote soonish, My staff come Wed. I Hope I have hlep here. I have seen both the Gift of Drragons and Dragonwriter, before ym sight had left me. so I know what I am talking about, when ith
e folks head west they use both oxes, and horses to make up the trains,.

Update, its going to take me longer to get the book, for my player is not on the list of OK users for it, anyh more, and I only have one of the keys to my plplayers, I have ofor a long time, so I need to find one that can both play and record, for its my pen and paper, when I am not front of my computer, along with a buch of other things.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons

Last edited by GinnyStar; Aug 4 2021 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Update still looking, tech iisissues,, spelling check too