A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Dec 10 2005, 03:39 PM   #441
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Getting to know you...

*A good politician must be able to imbibe*

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14 2005, 06:24 AM   #442
Devcca

Fan of: Eh, The White Dragon
Now Reading: *Too busy to read* Textsbks

Hello Maelin, Nice to see you Maiken!
I should sleep, but I was woken up, and then my ear had to ring! Sighs. I was thinking of some characters to use in my rpg... *sighs* it's so early up here.
Devcca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15 2005, 09:05 AM   #443
Rainbrith
Inactive

Fan of: All Dragon Riders books
Now Reading: Dragonlover's Guide to Pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragongirl
I can't complain about cold but I can complain about extreme temperature changes as I live in Outback Australia and in Summer it goes to like 46 degrees whereas in Winter it can be -2!
Greetings fellow Australian What part of the outback are you from? I'm from the almost-triangular lump of rock off the coast of Victoria fondly known as Tasmania . We get hot and cold too, but not as extreme. But our problem is we're more humid than you. At least you get dry heat rather than muggy heat.
Rainbrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16 2005, 08:04 PM   #444
Myt
Stowaway
Senior Apprentice

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Something, always something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneli
Right now it's -5 outside and no way would I be able to type this if I didn't have central heating

Hope you get warm soon, edith
Average temp. where I am.
Myt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16 2005, 09:41 PM   #445
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Rainbirth, WOW! someone from Tasmania. This is so great, I would never have thought that I would ever have the oppurtunity, to chat with a person from there. Please say hi, so that I can say that I did . This year gets better and better. Do you like living there? What is the best thing about it? Were you born there, or did you move there? I am sorry for being so nosie, but this is to cool to pass up. I am so curious about people from other places, that I have no hope in, this life of getting to see. Maybe next time I'll be more like "Spacer Yvonne", and fly to the stars.
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17 2005, 12:33 AM   #446
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Fan of: Pern & Freedom
Now Reading: The Umbrella Club / David Brooks

This is a belated g'day to all you chaps I missed out on saying g'day to, whilst I was away. Have fun, and may your stay here be enjoyable and educational, in interesting proportions.

ciao!
ghyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17 2005, 08:28 AM   #447
Devcca

Fan of: Eh, The White Dragon
Now Reading: *Too busy to read* Textsbks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneli
Right now it's -5 outside and no way would I be able to type this if I didn't have central heating
Try -20s or -30s C about -25F as average Temp for Alaska at this time

It's too warm now, melting all the snow!!!
Devcca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17 2005, 04:21 PM   #448
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Devcca, Please, I am already cold and it's only down to the 60s. After reading how cold you are, I need another pair of socks on, wait I'm going for my big fuzzy slippers. BRRRRR! It's too warm you say, your name should be Ice Queen. Alaska is beautiful, I have seen pictures from friends that went there. But way to cold for this sunny California girl, I love the heat to much.
Old Dec 17 2005, 04:41 PM   #449
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

I love my Tweed Heads temperatures, although the summer humidity can get a bit much at times. Right now, it's under 9 am, warm and with a lovely cooling breeze to take the edge off the humidity and heat.

I'm going to get me some breakfast soon, two fruits!
Old Dec 18 2005, 05:20 AM   #450
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Yeah Ghyle, please do make me jealous...

Darn winter

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18 2005, 03:44 PM   #451
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

But Hans, you are so fortunate, what with all those lovely beers, and cheese, and dykes, and you can visit France so easily and buy real croissants to your heart's delight, and come home, and say "Boy, what about these croissants, aren't they something?" (only in Dutch) and you wife will son "Hans, we're Dutch, we don't eat croissants!" (again, only in Dutch), and your son will say "Papa, we're Dutch, we don't eat croissants!" (once more, only in Dutch), and all the while the tulips are waving in the breeze by the windmills and other stuff. : from lack of oxygen:
Old Dec 19 2005, 01:04 AM   #452
Myt
Stowaway
Senior Apprentice

*laughs* G'day to you too Ghyle!
Old Dec 19 2005, 03:30 AM   #453
Rainbrith
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin
Rainbirth, WOW! someone from Tasmania. This is so great, I would never have thought that I would ever have the oppurtunity, to chat with a person from there. Please say hi, so that I can say that I did . This year gets better and better. Do you like living there? What is the best thing about it? Were you born there, or did you move there? I am sorry for being so nosie, but this is to cool to pass up. I am so curious about people from other places, that I have no hope in, this life of getting to see. Maybe next time I'll be more like "Spacer Yvonne", and fly to the stars.
Hello Lady Maelin Well... a problem is if you want to go to another state of Australia, you need to take the ferry or fly! Nah, it's lovely down here. Very green, clean air, lots of native creatures. But it does get cold, though temperature is relative... I'm from the North West Coast, there's only about half a million in the state, most of that is in our capital Hobart. Wow, an American that knows where we are! Most think we're Tanzania in Africa! The best thing about Tassie is we are small, laid back, out of the way... I'm a born and bred Tasmanain. I don't mind talking, I think it's cool to talk to someone from Southern California.
Old Dec 19 2005, 03:57 AM   #454
Myt
Stowaway
Senior Apprentice

Hi I'm Myt and I'm weird. I come from a small town in southern NSW.
Old Dec 19 2005, 05:11 AM   #455
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

G'day Myt!

I'm in far northen NSW myself, but I am actually a Mexican, having been born in Gippsland.

So glad to meet you!
Old Dec 19 2005, 05:16 AM   #456
Myt
Stowaway
Senior Apprentice

Glad to meet you too Ghyle (Anyone keeping tabs on how many times I've said this?)
Old Dec 19 2005, 05:25 AM   #457
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

I don't mind repeating myself. Why? I don't mind repeating myself.
Old Dec 19 2005, 09:09 AM   #458
chris
Loo Cow

Fan of: Restoree

Hi all, been a while since I've checked in here......... sorry 'bout that ........ just life you know???!!! Currently in cq still...... Myt, which small town in NSW are you in?? I am in a small (pop approx 300) town in Central Queensland. I lived in NSW for a while, firstly in Sydney, then in Narrabri..... I blame my parents, I had no choice at the time

Hey Ghyle, how's the writing going???

To everyone, MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Ciao all, and with some luck (and good memory on my part) I will call in more frequently!!

Ciao
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19 2005, 02:01 PM   #459
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

G'day, Chris!

We ought to catch up again, no? chat over things. Your last visit was such a pleasure.

How is the family?
Old Dec 19 2005, 04:50 PM   #460
Rainbrith
Inactive

Crumbs, more Aussies! YAY Greetings from the Island State Myt, chris and ghyle.
Old Dec 19 2005, 07:03 PM   #461
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Oh I love this, here I sit in not so sunny(today it is sprinkling rain) California, t watching a whole crowd of Australians gab to each other about there own country. This is fantastic, just sitting and reading your conversations I have learned so much. To start I never knew that Tasmania was a state of Australia. You forget that it is summer down there while it is winter here even in california. That helps when I am so cold today. Question though, is Tasmania green and bushy, or jungle-ish? Do you have the strange critters that the rest of the country have? Or do you have some just from there? Oh I love traveling on this, I can do it all in my sunday lounge-wear!
Old Dec 20 2005, 01:21 AM   #462
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Tasmania is green and bushy, though I believe that there are some cold rainforests (yes, there are such: especially in Gipplsand, in Victoria).

It has animals of its own, the Tasmanian Devil for one, and it used to have the Tasmanian tiger, but the consensus amongst most is that the latter are extinct. They also lack dingos, and other mainland animals.

Rainbrith () can tell you lots more about the flora and fauna than I can.
Old Dec 20 2005, 02:19 AM   #463
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

::::getting to know you, getting to know all about you.....
getting to like you, hoping that you'll like me......::::::::

Sorry, couldn't resist it any longer.
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20 2005, 05:34 AM   #464
monkeysrule
Le RAWR.
Hatchling

Fan of: Monkeys
Now Reading: expensive textbooks!

Hi everyone who's new!
monkeysrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20 2005, 05:48 AM   #465
chris
Loo Cow

the family is well thanks Ghyle

Stephanie has her license and is driving now!!!! Unfortunately she did have an accident a couple of months after she got it, wrote off the nice car ('93 Laser, in good nick) we bought for her to drive, consequently we have bought a bomby '84 Nissan Prairie for her to drive around in. Actually the motor is really good in it, despite having nearly 300000 k's on the clock.

The other 2 are fine, and growing as kids do

Don't know if I mentioned we have bought a cafe/takeaway.... the older 2 girls help with it, get paid also

Long days, and hours for moi but well that's life too hey ?? !!

Haven't been to Tassie yet,hehehe I would only ever consider going in summer of course, too cold in winter for this little black duck

Ciao!!
Old Dec 20 2005, 02:25 PM   #466
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Yay Chris!

If we make our trip to you, we should expect a discount on our food, right? (After all, e're pratically family, no?)
Old Dec 21 2005, 05:45 PM   #467
Rainbrith
Inactive

White Re: Getting to know you...

Quote:
Oh I love this, here I sit in not so sunny(today it is sprinkling rain) California, t watching a whole crowd of Australians gab to each other about there own country. This is fantastic, just sitting and reading your conversations I have learned so much. To start I never knew that Tasmania was a state of Australia. You forget that it is summer down there while it is winter here even in california. That helps when I am so cold today. Question though, is Tasmania green and bushy, or jungle-ish? Do you have the strange critters that the rest of the country have? Or do you have some just from there? Oh I love traveling on this, I can do it all in my sunday lounge-wear!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghyle
Tasmania is green and bushy, though I believe that there are some cold rainforests (yes, there are such: especially in Gipplsand, in Victoria).
It has animals of its own, the Tasmanian Devil for one, and it used to have the Tasmanian tiger, but the consensus amongst most is that the latter are extinct. They also lack dingos, and other mainland animals.
Rainbrith () can tell you lots more about the flora and fauna than I can.
It is rather funny for us to live in the same country and talk on here like we're on opposite sides of the world.
Yes we are green and bushy... lots of bushes, open areas surrounded by hills and some mountains. I think we do have rainforest-like areas down the West Coast. We share many of the same animals as the Mainland such as Quolls, possums, wombats, birds... but not in the same numbers. There are animals unique to each island (yes, you Mainlanders are an island too, so what if you are bigger than us...) though I can't think of any other than dingos and Tassie Devils (and the extinct Tiger) right now... I'll get back to you on that.
"Jungle-ish"? Hehehe only if you count my uncle's backyard...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris
Haven't been to Tassie yet,hehehe I would only ever consider going in summer of course, too cold in winter for this little black duck
Too cold for me too to tell the truth! I may have been born here but I've never acclimatised to it. Though the Winters are getting warmer the last few years... I wouldn't want to go to Queensland though. Waaayyyy too hot in Summer (or Winter for that matter...), and you get the monsoon season.
Old Dec 21 2005, 08:25 PM   #468
Dragongirl
.:. Baroness von Imp .:.
Weyrling

Fan of: I do not 'fan'. I obsess.
Now Reading: The Book of Lost Things - John Connelly.
Gold Re: Getting to know you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbrith
Greetings fellow Australian What part of the outback are you from? I'm from the almost-triangular lump of rock off the coast of Victoria fondly known as Tasmania . We get hot and cold too, but not as extreme. But our problem is we're more humid than you. At least you get dry heat rather than muggy heat.
I don't live right in the Outback(Thank Faranth!) but the outskirts are bad enough! My home is in the Riverina MIA. You may have heared of the place, it's well known in NSW for it's rice and wine.(Robinton would love it!!). My town has about 90 people in it and people riding and driving horses and cattle is as regular as cars!
I would have to say I do prefer dry heat because it's what I grew up in. Humidity, like in Queensland is too much for me! The only problem with extreme heat is that with the current drought we were in alot of farmers(many of them friends) had to sell their cattle. I was nearly forced to sell my beloved horse because of it but we pulled through. It's great in the Summer too because we all have an excuse to jump into the channels and dams. Country life is hard, but I wouldn't give it up for anything!

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Dragongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21 2005, 11:30 PM   #469
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Dragongirl, and Rainbirth, You both live in wonderful sounding places, I use to have three horses about twenty years ago. One for each of us, me, my husband and our daughter. We use to ride all over the mountian valley where we lived at the time. I used to love to take care of the horsesI would wash and brush them. I would get up at four in the morning on the way to work to feed them. We kept them at a boarding stable. We didn't have enough land in town and we couldn't afford to move where there was more at the time. But the stable was very nice and I love to go there. My bay mare was named "Sam" short for Samantha. She was very gentle and huge, they used to call her the plow horse, but she could jump wonderfully. Right over a puddle or low fence what ever she thought I would let her, she was a love. I miss her but we had to sell them when we did move to another house, it was to far to go to take care of them any longer. Now I have a cat that thinks he is a dog. But he is enough for us now we are busy with so many things more animals would be impossible. I hope that you enjoy yours for an old horsewoman who misses hers still.
It has been so nice here for the last few days, warm and sunny. That is how I like it, winter in California is wonderful.
Old Dec 22 2005, 12:10 AM   #470
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

My mother lived as a girl and teenager on the Riverina, and she has fond memories of her days there.

Myself, I'm happy just under banana-bender-land.

Right now, it's warm and humid, and the nearest storm looks to be Chrissy Day.

At least, if you liked ocean swimming, the water is warm all year round, here.
Old Dec 22 2005, 10:25 PM   #471
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Ghyle, banana- bender - land?
Old Dec 23 2005, 01:17 AM   #472
monkeysrule
Le RAWR.
Hatchling

Fan of: Monkeys
Now Reading: expensive textbooks!

Quote:
It has been so nice here for the last few days, warm and sunny. That is how I like it, winter in California is wonderful.
You suck

I live on the coast of Northern California and all we get is fog and .

But oh well. We do get a few sunny days a year.
monkeysrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23 2005, 01:59 AM   #473
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Quote:
Ghyle, banana- bender - land?
Queensland.

We call Queenslanders banana benders, despite most being grown in Mexico (ie. south of the border, aka New South Wales to banana benders, Victoria to New South Welshmen, etc.).

I'm a Yarra yabbie (ie. Victorian) by birth.
Old Dec 23 2005, 04:45 PM   #474
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Well at this point you could be considered a language translator, especially with Australian to American english. Thank you for your kind information my little blue furry friend...from one chatty kathy to a yarra yabbie.
Old Dec 23 2005, 07:58 PM   #475
Dragongirl
.:. Baroness von Imp .:.
Weyrling

Fan of: I do not 'fan'. I obsess.
Now Reading: The Book of Lost Things - John Connelly.

Your horse sounds wonderful Lady Maelin. Mine is a seven year old ex-racer called Scooter. I saved him from the doghouse. He's big(I have to climb ona fence to ride him!) and his colour is beautiful. He's actually a rare bronze bay colour with black legs. His front legs have white socks and it looks like someones just got bronze, black and white paint and splashed it on his legs. He's a personality plus horse and is very one person. I've found he doesn't like any boy that shows interest in me and it's funny cause the ears go back, he starts pawing the ground and giving them the evil eye! He's a slave to his belly and loves sleeping! I love him and he's probably the closest I'd get to having a dragon. That's how close our bond is. He's a beautiful animal.

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Dragongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23 2005, 10:25 PM   #476
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

You are so lucky to have a close bond with your horse. Many horse people want one but don't quite get there. Maybe because I was there everyday I was very close to mine also. Cherrish this time, you will always remember it. A horse is totaly different that any other animal that I have ever had. Sam would hear me call to her and come a running, even when I didn't have food to give her. I was so sad when we had to sell her and my husbands and daughters horses. The other two horses that we had did not have the personality that Sam did, my husbands was Rush, he so head strong, they use to go round and round, literally. but he was so beautiful a wine and black spotted appy, with a white blaze and the longest black tail I had ever seen. My daughters was a small horse, Babe, brown and black mane and tail and a white star on her forehead. She was playful and my daughter could ride like the wind. It was a wonderful time. Thank you for bringing up a lot of wonderful memories, I had not thought of those times for quite awhile. Let me know how you do with your horse, I would love to hear about you and him.
Old Dec 24 2005, 08:41 AM   #477
chris
Loo Cow

Ghyle, Victorians are also known as 'mexicans' to us Qlders hehehe

You recall the Victorian vehicle number plates with the "On The Move" message?? Well mine spouse always says "Victorians, on the move - to Qld"

hehehehe
Old Dec 24 2005, 02:32 PM   #478
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Queensland: perfect one day, Victorian the next
Old Dec 24 2005, 04:52 PM   #479
Myt
Stowaway
Senior Apprentice

It's so funny listening to people talk about weather! I will not tell you what it is here, because it is likely to change drastically in the next hour. (and again..and again...round here we get 4 seasons in one day and sometimes ones with no name!)
Old Dec 24 2005, 10:33 PM   #480
chris
Loo Cow

sounds like melbourne Myt

another typical melbourne day

Tags
rhodalle