A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Jun 23 2008, 07:18 AM   #1
Solitary
Inactive

Fan of: Anything with Dragons
Default Where to look for values......

I am curious........

I have a 1st UK Edition Hardcover of Restoree that I will never part with but I'm curious if there is a value to it and where I might find that.

I started searching for 1st edition hardcovers about 15 years ago with Anne McCaffrey books and then branched out to other books in science fiction/fantasy. I love the challenge of finding an established series that I enjoy reading and then looking for the 1st edition hard covers.

One of these days I will take pictures of my bookshelves and post them in the thread I saw for that. It is a passion that I enjoy and am happy to see others enjoy that as well
Solitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23 2008, 07:45 AM   #2
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman
Default Re: Where to look for values......

erm.... a lot!

I have a particular fondness for that cover after borrowing it from the library (the only covers that come close are the German and the 1st ed ones) and I looked it up a couple of years back only to find that there was no copy under £200.

Please take photos!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23 2008, 09:19 AM   #3
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Bookfinder.com is my book search engine of choice, as it searches all the major used bookstore agencies (like Abebooks, Bibliofind, etc.)

Bookfinder turned up 3 copies of Restoree UK 1st hardcover:
$160 for one that's missing the dustcover
$380 for a good condition ex-library copy
$1290 for a near mint copy with a signed bookplate

The pricing on the third one is out of line, especially as it's just a bookplate that's signed and not the book itself. But if you have a well-cared for copy with no marks in it, then I'd say it's worth around $500 at least. Definitely make sure that book is insured for replacement cost, and document it's condition!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23 2008, 09:40 AM   #4
Solitary
Inactive

Fan of: Anything with Dragons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
Bookfinder.com is my book search engine of choice, as it searches all the major used bookstore agencies (like Abebooks, Bibliofind, etc.)

Bookfinder turned up 3 copies of Restoree UK 1st hardcover:
$160 for one that's missing the dustcover
$380 for a good condition ex-library copy
$1290 for a near mint copy with a signed bookplate

The pricing on the third one is out of line, especially as it's just a bookplate that's signed and not the book itself. But if you have a well-cared for copy with no marks in it, then I'd say it's worth around $500 at least. Definitely make sure that book is insured for replacement cost, and document it's condition!

Thank you Edith and Cheryl..........I'm going to look up that site.

It's very nice to know I didn't overpay for it by far. The condition is what I would call "good" and it isn't an ex-library copy. I've recently moved and I'm going to, for the first time, get additional insurance on my books......as soon as I get my book shelves back in order for making a list and taking pictures
Solitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23 2008, 10:30 AM   #5
Hans
Master Archivist

Like Cheryl said bookfinder is the best source but careful, prices are postage including Best would be a cross from several sources like eBay, amazon.com (the second hand pages) and bookfinder.

Of course the value varies at times. We recently established that (probably due to there being a lot offered) prices of signed regular books by Anne were going down slightly.

Also important is that a book is actually sold for a certain price. The fact that there's a Dragonflight DelRey HC for $1250 avalable for years (same copy) tells you it probably isn't worth that much (any more). But if you see two of them sold on eBay for e.g. $350 and $450 then an approximate value of $400 -$500 seems reasonabke.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23 2008, 11:12 AM   #6
Cheryl
Master Archivist

*nods at everything Hans said*

Also, the three books currently found via Bookfinder don't exactly give you much in the way of data points. Still they're the only starting point you have.

Oh, and I took out the postage costs from the Bookfinder report, cause I'm smart like that. at Hans
Old Jun 23 2008, 06:13 PM   #7
Hans
Master Archivist

LOL

I meant it as a general "bookfinder" remark, Cheryl, dear

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jun 23 2008, 06:24 PM   #8
Cheryl
Master Archivist

I know, I just couldn't resist a
Old Jun 23 2008, 06:27 PM   #9
Hans
Master Archivist

You couldn't resist as much as i couldn't resist to post a reply nonetheless...

We know each other too well

Old Jun 24 2008, 12:31 AM   #10
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Bookfinder is a fantastic place to find that long lost book you've been trying to find for years, that no one else seems to have. It can also give you a very good idea of what kind of price range you can expect, and that helps in deciding what grade of book you can afford.

Cheryl and Hans...you two are both right, like usual

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote