A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Jan 29 2007, 10:50 PM   #1
Dragongirl
.:. Baroness von Imp .:.
Weyrling

Fan of: I do not 'fan'. I obsess.
Now Reading: The Book of Lost Things - John Connelly.
Default What do you think would happen...

...if F'lar lost Lessa? Or Lessa lost F'lar?

Two things made me think about this.

First one is I was thinking about what happened to my Pop when Nan died and how he just...faded away and lost his lust for life, how he was always depressed and crying in private and his health deteriorated, and in the end he died in a car crash that we're very afraid of thinking it was deliberate...just because he couldn't go on with out Nanna Pat...

And...
I was reading something on FF.Net the other day and though it was a gawdaweful story that utterly destroyed Pern as we know it and I tried to do some thinking on the matter...unfortunately it didn't really work because I start tearing up every time I think about it...

Anyway...I'm listening out for you all...

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Dragongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30 2007, 08:20 AM   #2
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman
Default Re: What do you think would happen...

I think that they would go between rather than be alone, perhaps they'd stay until everything was in order but then they'd go.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30 2007, 09:03 AM   #3
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: as usual

I agree with Edith in that I believe they would stay behind and carry on strong until all their affairs and whatnot were in order before possibly going /between/.

...but I'm not sure about whether or not they would actually choose to end their lives without the other...I guess it'd also depend on how old they were when the other died. I'm more inclined to think that Lessa would carry on without F'lar rather than the other way around though...if it came to that.
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30 2007, 09:17 AM   #4
Topaz the Golden

Fan of: all of them
Now Reading: anything I can get my hands on

I think F'lar would go to pieces if Lessa went 1st. Look what happen when Lessa went back in time. If I remember he did fall to pieces.
Topaz the Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4 2007, 09:01 AM   #5
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

As much as F'lar and Lessa love each other, their bonds with their dragons are much much stronger. I think either would be sustained by dragon-love. Though it may be a case of mutual support, as I do think Ramoth and Mnementh would be hit pretty hard as well. But dragon memories fade in time, so the hurt would lessen for them faster, thus letting them support their human partner.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5 2007, 02:35 PM   #6
Topaz the Golden

Fan of: all of them
Now Reading: anything I can get my hands on

you could be right.
Topaz the Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5 2007, 05:30 PM   #7
Allana
Greenrider 'Lana

Candidate

Fan of: Crystal, Pern, Dino P.
Now Reading: The Death of Artemio Cruz, Fuentes

Cheryl, I completely agree with you. They both have their dragons and their fighters, I think they would live out their lives.
Allana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5 2007, 10:07 PM   #8
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

I don't think the dragons would let the riders suicide. Even tho Ramoth and Mnementh have a strong bond I doubt that they would suicide due to the rider's death. As Cheryl said, the dragon would then support the surviving rider. It would certainly be a tuff time for the survivor, but with the dragon's support they'd manage.
Remember D'ram, his Fanna(?) died and he didn't suicide, just went back to where he could be alone. And I think in time he'd've come back to Benden. Theirs was a very strong bond too.
Just my opinion and I sure hope I got her name right!
Old Feb 6 2007, 07:36 AM   #9
Cheryl
Master Archivist

You did Becky! Have a
Old Feb 6 2007, 09:45 AM   #10
Becky
Coelura

Thanks Cheryl! Whew, for once the memory WASN'T faulty!
Old Feb 6 2007, 11:27 AM   #11
Chimaerrha
Junior Weyrwoman

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
I don't think the dragons would let the riders suicide. Even tho Ramoth and Mnementh have a strong bond I doubt that they would suicide due to the rider's death. As Cheryl said, the dragon would then support the surviving rider. It would certainly be a tuff time for the survivor, but with the dragon's support they'd manage.
Remember D'ram, his Fanna(?) died and he didn't suicide, just went back to where he could be alone. And I think in time he'd've come back to Benden. Theirs was a very strong bond too.
Just my opinion and I sure hope I got her name right!
D'ram was Weyrleader of Ista: he wouldn't've returned to Benden, but to Ista. He later retired and became Weyrleader of Southern.

This passage is so poignant....

TWD on.:

Quote:
"He wasn't talking very much toward the end, just sat there holding Fanna's hand." Robinton found that he needed to swallow. As accustomed as he was to mortality, D'ram's devotion to his Weyrwoman and his silent grief at her death had the power to bring tears to the Harper's eyes.
Chimaerrha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6 2007, 07:54 PM   #12
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

I'm just remembering how my dad died 5 years ago from a heart condition and we had to help pick up the pieces for mum so my thought is that their dragon would help them "survive" the ordeal as well as other dragons helping them out. After all, look at F'lessan and his dragon, when everyone thought they would die from a feline attack and they managed to bring them back. F'lessan then spoke to Lytol, towards the end of that particular book and realised one could survive the loss of one's dragon and still live a full life.
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7 2007, 04:12 AM   #13
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

-Agrees with Jube-

That's a good point...no matter how much you can love someone, your dragon would always come first since the bond is so strong...and if people such as Lytol were able to live on despite losing his dragon, and that connection, then F'lar and Lessa would be able to live on so long as they still had their dragon to lean on.
Old Feb 7 2007, 09:54 AM   #14
Becky
Coelura

[QUOTE=Chimaerrha;62805]D'ram was Weyrleader of Ista: he wouldn't've returned to Benden, but to Ista. He later retired and became Weyrleader of Southern.

QUOTE]

Sorry to have been misleading in my earlier comment. By returning to Benden I meant to F'lar and Lessa as THE Weyrleaders and looking to them for a place to be of best use.
Old Feb 7 2007, 11:02 AM   #15
Chimaerrha
Junior Weyrwoman

[QUOTE=Becky;62934]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaerrha View Post
D'ram was Weyrleader of Ista: he wouldn't've returned to Benden, but to Ista. He later retired and became Weyrleader of Southern.

QUOTE]

Sorry to have been misleading in my earlier comment. By returning to Benden I meant to F'lar and Lessa as THE Weyrleaders and looking to them for a place to be of best use.
Oops. Sorry about that.
Old Feb 9 2007, 08:29 PM   #16
Dragongirl
Weyrling

Hey Cheryl where's my ?

I wonder who it would hit harder...wait I probably know...

F'lar, seeing as it's obvious how much he loves her and needs her throughout the books...that passage in DQ says something like 'he can't even think of the pain of losing her.'

(And I hate my computer...)

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Old Feb 10 2007, 05:56 PM   #17
Chimaerrha
Junior Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragongirl View Post
Hey Cheryl where's my ?

I wonder who it would hit harder...wait I probably know...

F'lar, seeing as it's obvious how much he loves her and needs her throughout the books...that passage in DQ says something like 'he can't even think of the pain of losing her.'

(And I hate my computer...)
DQ on.:

Quote:
Would she never stop yearning for another child? How could she forget she had nearly died with Felessan? He’d been relieved that she had never quickened again. The thought of losing Lessa was not even to be thought.
There ya go!
Old Feb 10 2007, 07:29 PM   #18
Dragongirl
Weyrling

Thanks Chimmy! *glomps*

Ooh and I just had the most evil posssible story idea (not that I think I could write it )
What if Lessa got pregnant after that first mating flight hm?

(yes I am and I know it)

Old Feb 10 2007, 07:35 PM   #19
Brenda

Well, Felessan's not that much younger than Jaxom...
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10 2007, 07:46 PM   #20
Dragongirl
Weyrling

I don't think she actually got pregnant in that time period...I mean if my estimates are correct it something like a year and a half between the flight and the end of DF, so unless Pernese have a much longer gestation period , which I doubt. I always think she got pregnant at the end of DF anyway.

I think it would be interesting, though a darned challenge, to write something like that...they didn't exactly like each other then(or Lessa didn't) so it'd be an absolute riot
But I don't think I could write it...

Old Feb 10 2007, 07:55 PM   #21
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

That's an amusing concept...-Chuckles-

I did an RP once where my character became Weyrleader to the utter dispair of the Weyrwoman, and the same thing happened as you want to write about...although F'lar and Lessa didn't like each other, Aryan and V'ron...wel...the Weyrwoman ended up breaking his nose, they disliked each-other that much...^^

You ought to have a go at writing it anyway...or writing a story akin to that but with other characters if you need a test-run as it were...^^
Old Feb 10 2007, 08:34 PM   #22
Allana
Greenrider 'Lana

Candidate

Fan of: Crystal, Pern, Dino P.
Now Reading: The Death of Artemio Cruz, Fuentes

SJS: sounds very interesting, very interesting...
Allana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10 2007, 08:58 PM   #23
Chimaerrha
Junior Weyrwoman

Quote:
Thanks Chimmy! *glomps*

Ooh and I just had the most evil posssible story idea (not that I think I could write it )
What if Lessa got pregnant after that first mating flight hm?

(yes I am and I know it)
Using this site and Hans's site as resources...

Ramoth was first flown on 11.11.450 (the very end of the Interval). Per Hans's site, F'lessan was born in about 2508: about eight Turns AFTER the first flight. Therefore, I don't think that could work....

Good idea, though.......I wub F'lessan!
Old Feb 10 2007, 09:07 PM   #24
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

Allana - My friend and I were tired with the stereotypical 'Two wub' Wetrmates that populate every RP Weyr...so we decided to make ours quite different in terms of plotlines and such, whilst still keeping well within the Fan-Fic guidelines...^^

----

F'lar would most definately have a harder time of it than Lessa though...although I'd have to read a few of the later books again since I know that (obviously) their relationship develops as they get older. I seem to recall them talking in...Skies of Pern perhaps, about F'lessan.
Old Feb 10 2007, 09:31 PM   #25
Chimaerrha
Junior Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjslack View Post
Allana - My friend and I were tired with the stereotypical 'Two wub' Wetrmates that populate every RP Weyr...so we decided to make ours quite different in terms of plotlines and such, whilst still keeping well within the Fan-Fic guidelines...^^

----

F'lar would most definately have a harder time of it than Lessa though...although I'd have to read a few of the later books again since I know that (obviously) their relationship develops as they get older. I seem to recall them talking in...Skies of Pern perhaps, about F'lessan.
Maybe here?

SoP on.:

Quote:
F'lar laughed, because her imitation of the Benden Lord Holder was so accurate. "One of the reasons Aivas delayed the blast was to put the Red Star far beyond affecting any other of the planets in this system. The mathematics was accurate to the tenth decimal point. Or so Wansor assured me at the time. Or ask F'lessan. He's into astronomy with that old telescope in Honshu."
"I might indeed ask F'lessan," she said. "It's something like this that would agitate the Abominators into doing more harm than they've already done."
Quote:
"I'm away. Golanth will inform Ramoth!" He raised his hand in farewell and the big bronze ran a few steps to launch himself and abruptly disappeared.
"You must have a word with him," Lessa said under her breath to her weyrmate, scowling.
"Why?"
"He shouldn't take off that quickly and scarcely a wing's span above the ground. He's setting a bad example for young riders."
F'lar grinned, surreptitiously looking around. "No young riders nearby and it's still too dark for him to have been seen."
Lessa glared up at him. "I doubt he checked. For all we know, S'lan may have seen. You know how he tries to be like his father."
Old Feb 10 2007, 09:35 PM   #26
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

-Shakes head- No, I may not have the correct book...I really do need to read 'em again...^^;

It's where they're in their Weyr and Lessa is telling F'lar that she's afraid for F'lessan or something like that. -Tries to remember better and fails miserably- It showed their closeness (F'lars and Lessa's).
Old Feb 10 2007, 10:22 PM   #27
Dragongirl
Weyrling

I remember it SJ, it was quite a moving scene for me. I might need Chim to find the quote but I do remember Lessa-for like one of the first times ever-broke down and F'lar comforted her, but he also cried with her and they ended up comforting each other. I believe its a true sentiment of how far they've come together to be able to do that.

Old Feb 10 2007, 10:28 PM   #28
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

-Briefly wonders why she's at up at 3:25am and then shrugs-

----

That's right...-Noddeth- I think it was the first and only time we actually saw Lessa break down and show her innermost feelings, and it was actually a relief to read it. It shows Lessa is actually human...^^ If there is one charcater that's been written well and consistently by Anne, I think it has to be F'lar however.
Old Feb 10 2007, 10:38 PM   #29
Dragongirl
Weyrling

*waits for F'lar fangirls to cheer*

Old Feb 11 2007, 03:35 AM   #30
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Not me then. (I'm a secret Mennolly groupie)

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11 2007, 09:52 AM   #31
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

-Shifty eyes as she hides her Robinton plushie-

----

But no, I found with a few characters there were parts in the books where their personage wasn't really convincing, but F'lar was always consistant in his attitudes and whatnot...^^...I'll admit that much even if Robinton is my favourite character. -Chuckles-
Old Feb 11 2007, 10:40 AM   #32
Chimaerrha
Junior Weyrwoman

Quote:
I remember it SJ, it was quite a moving scene for me. I might need Chim to find the quote but I do remember Lessa-for like one of the first times ever-broke down and F'lar comforted her, but he also cried with her and they ended up comforting each other. I believe its a true sentiment of how far they've come together to be able to do that.
My online books aren't working at the moment, but PLEASE no one else steal that quotation from me until they're working again. *glares*

:angel:
Old Feb 14 2007, 08:59 AM   #33
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaerrha View Post
Using this site and Hans's site as resources...

Ramoth was first flown on 11.11.450 (the very end of the Interval). Per Hans's site, F'lessan was born in about 2508: about eight Turns AFTER the first flight. Therefore, I don't think that could work....

Good idea, though.......I wub F'lessan!
Umm, 2508 is the start of the 9th Pass, not 8 turns into it. 11.11.450 is near the end of the year 2507 (11th day of 11th month). So F'lessan was pretty much conceived at that first mating flight or soon thereafter. as the 9th Pass starting 2508. And Lessa was either pregnant when she made the between times leap for the Oldtimers (on the 9th day of the 4th month), or F'lessan was born prematurely at the end of the Turn.
Old Feb 14 2007, 09:09 AM   #34
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

He was meant to be difficult wasn't he!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14 2007, 01:44 PM   #35
GHarris

Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
Umm, 2508 is the start of the 9th Pass, not 8 turns into it. 11.11.450 is near the end of the year 2507 (11th day of 11th month). So F'lessan was pretty much conceived at that first mating flight or soon thereafter. as the 9th Pass starting 2508. And Lessa was either pregnant when she made the between times leap for the Oldtimers (on the 9th day of the 4th month), or F'lessan was born prematurely at the end of the Turn.

I'm glad someone straightened that out, because I thought there was only 1-2 years difference in age between Jaxom and F'lessan. Which works out with your calculations. Since we know that Jaxom was born a year or less before the pass started.

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14 2007, 03:45 PM   #36
Dragongirl
Weyrling

I'm putting my marks on sometime after. There is no way she could have betweened that long and not miscarry. Perhaps he was concieved near the end of DF?

Old Feb 14 2007, 03:50 PM   #37
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

-Scratches head-

I recall something about length of time between being correlated to the chance of miscarrying...Something about Mirrim in Dolphins of Pern? *Again, may be wrong due to the fact she's only read that once*.
Old Feb 14 2007, 05:08 PM   #38
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

F'lar was *really* glad to see her when she got back...
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14 2007, 05:45 PM   #39
Ailsa_Elizabeth
Inactive

Fan of: All of her books!!
Now Reading: as much as possible

Kylara brought up the point in one of the books that if she stand between a little longer at the right time she could miscarriage, as at that stage she had had five kids.
Ailsa_Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15 2007, 05:46 AM   #40
Dragongirl
Weyrling

*arches eyebrow* But would she have let him Anareth?

I stand by that part at the end of DF