A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Beyond Anne McCaffrey

Beyond Anne McCaffrey We know Anne's not the only author you read and enjoy. Come here to discuss and discover authors beyond Anne!

Old Jun 30 2008, 05:38 PM   #41
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
Lightbulb Re: Mercedes Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawra View Post
I am reading Queen's Arrow to Mom & Kibbie now. Mom really likes the book.
Mom has a hard time reading, because it is hard for her to hold the book open & her eye are still not right.
(Mom would prefer that I read her Steven King books, But That is NOT going to happen.
I do not read creapy.)
If you mom is have prolems reading regular print you maybe able to get her a talking book machine from the US Goverment. Virgina: Richman 1-800-552-7015 It's National Libary Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, The LIbary of Congress www.loc.gov/nls for more infomation in the USA!

I am an Ambassador for the Wisconsin Regional Libary for the Blind and Phyical Handicapped.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16 2010, 03:45 PM   #42
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta
Default Re: Mercedes Lackey

*bump*
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17 2010, 12:20 AM   #43
semantre
Dragonrider
Candidate

Fan of: Pern Series
Now Reading: Whatever I can get my hands on

To bring this post up to current events:
Misty has, after almost 20 years, finally returned to writing Diana Tregarde stories! This October will see a new book, Trio of Sorcery, which will contain a novella centered on Diana. I'm looking forward to this - I have always loved the Diana Tregarde stories the best. She's also going to release another Elemental Masters book in the next couple of years, and that will be good stuff too.
semantre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25 2010, 12:23 AM   #44
ghost8772

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: The Dresden Files

Think I'll start checking her stuff out , I've only read a couple she's co-authored on, two of the Halfblood books, and one of the Ship books, The Ship who Searched I think, though didn't look at authors at the time. I've got to start paying closer attention to names on books. I did enjoy those books though, so could expand out a bit on reading her stuff.
ghost8772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25 2010, 04:55 AM   #45
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost8772 View Post
Think I'll start checking her stuff out , I've only read a couple she's co-authored on, two of the Halfblood books, and one of the Ship books, The Ship who Searched I think, though didn't look at authors at the time. I've got to start paying closer attention to names on books. I did enjoy those books though, so could expand out a bit on reading her stuff.
I love that one There is here Dragon Jouster too.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Aug 25 2010, 08:44 PM   #46
Brenda

I just read the latest in the 500 Kingdoms series... great fun!
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7 2010, 11:52 PM   #47
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix

Quote:
Originally Posted by semantre View Post
To bring this post up to current events:
Misty has, after almost 20 years, finally returned to writing Diana Tregarde stories! This October will see a new book, Trio of Sorcery, which will contain a novella centered on Diana. I'm looking forward to this - I have always loved the Diana Tregarde stories the best. She's also going to release another Elemental Masters book in the next couple of years, and that will be good stuff too.
You know, I heard of that too, and it really surprised me. I'd taken away from her "The Last Straw" essay that she wasn't going to write another one due to the crazies coming out of the woodwork.

http://www.mercedeslackey.com/features_laststraw.html

Turns out, I mis-remembered portions of it, and new ones didn't come out due to the series not being all that popular, and THAT set off the crazies. (Given that essay has a healthy heaping of rant to it, that's probably why I skimmed it and later mis-remembered.)

Interesting, still, that there's a new one coming out.
D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8 2010, 02:08 PM   #48
semantre
Dragonrider
Candidate

*nods* I remember that, too - the Tregarde books were all printed before the genre had any heavy following, and they just didn't sell well. Obviously, that's changed now, so they are worth it (to the publishers) to print. I'm glad to see more books about Diana - she's always been a favorite of mine. And I love the little tie-ins to her other urban fantasy series.
Old Apr 14 2011, 06:56 PM   #49
LadyDeerskin
Rocksquat

Fan of: Pern,Talents,Shellpeople
Now Reading: All The Weyrs of Pern, The Skies of Pern

oh, i love all the Valdemar books-this including the Velgarth ones of gryphons and all. im always on the watch for new ones, or new collections, ever since i first saw "Arrows" in a bookstore, the month it came out. the owner knew i liked that kind of thing, and pointed me in the right direction, saying, that just came out, i think you're gonna love it". and i have, to the point of RPing Tarma and Kethry in online MMORPG Perfect World", and elsewhere. I also did them and a Herald in a private version of the game...Tarma is fun to play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
She is an amazing writer, and for those of you that haven't read anything by her yet you should start with the Valdemar series. There are different orders you can read them in, but Mercedes Lackey herself recommends reading them in publication order. The first three books are Arrow of the Queen, Arrow's Flight, and Arrow's Fall. For the rest of the list, go here
LadyDeerskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15 2011, 08:05 PM   #50
Brenda

I have not read any of the Valdemar books. I started with her fairy tales - the 500 Kingdoms series (starts with The Fairy Godmother) and the Elemental Masters Series (The Serpent's Shadow). I also like the Elven Halfblood chronicles and the "Jousting Dragons" series (Joust).
Old Apr 18 2011, 09:27 AM   #51
semantre
Dragonrider
Candidate

If you enjoyed those, Brenda, you might also take a look at Firebird and The Black Swan, which are also books she wrote based on fairy tales.
Old Apr 18 2011, 10:33 AM   #52
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

I love virtually all Lackey writes but disliked The Black Swan very much. Strange that.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19 2011, 12:27 AM   #53
Brenda

I didn't get into Firebird but I loved Black Swan. It probably helped that I had no familiarity with "Swan Lake" except for the music.
Old May 10 2011, 05:36 PM   #54
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Has any one read the book following Foundation. I sooooo want that book. I can never remember how to spell the title of the book. I am suppose to get it next week as a late Mother's Day present.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23 2011, 03:13 PM   #55
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I have finially read Intregs. It was good.
The only I don't like is some of the stuff mentioned is not what I would think would take place in that time and place. Mostly having to do with sports. I don't think that steeple chase and football would be played in a setting where most people work hard just to survive. I can see some of the knights contests takeing place, but, not steeplechace. It just does not seem to fit the midevile time setting. That may just be me tho.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

Old Jun 23 2011, 05:51 PM   #56
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
I have finially read Intregs. It was good.
The only I don't like is some of the stuff mentioned is not what I would think would take place in that time and place. <snip>. I haven't read it yet, but the part about sports.
Mostly having to do with sports. I don't think that steeple chase and football would be played in a setting where most people work hard just to survive. I can see some of the knights contests takeing place, but, not steeplechace. It just does not seem to fit the midevile time setting. That may just be me tho.
Its keep them in shape, both the people and mounts, and football its a team sport, just my two cents, for I've read any of the books yet.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jun 23 2011, 11:05 PM   #57
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

I'm reading Intrigues right now. Haven't finished it yet. I'm liking it pretty well. Of course she is repeating the theme of a new trainee who an awful lot of people just don't completely trust, like she did with Talia and much more with Alberich.

I was a little surprised by the sports thing, too, but not for the same reason. Not everyone in Valdemar is poor and working all the time to make a living. But it was just a bit repetitive of what happened in Exile's Valor, although I don't think it is going to lead to the same kind of rescue it did there. I don't know yet, though, because I'm not finished with the book.

The title fits the book, though, because it is obvious that there is a lot of intrigues going on.
Old Jun 24 2011, 02:12 PM   #58
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I know not everyone is poor, but most people would be working most of the time. In order to play sport you would need a LOT of time for practices. Most people who would be willing play would be need for working. Even the rich kids are kept busy learning how to run a keep, learning fighting skills ect...

Old Jun 24 2011, 02:15 PM   #59
semantre
Dragonrider
Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevia View Post
I was a little surprised by the sports thing, too, but not for the same reason. Not everyone in Valdemar is poor and working all the time to make a living. But it was just a bit repetitive of what happened in Exile's Valor, although I don't think it is going to lead to the same kind of rescue it did there. I don't know yet, though, because I'm not finished with the book.
This. She's done the 'make a sport for war games' subplot already, and fairly recently from a publication date standpoint. And it was way better done the first time. I don't want a play-by-play of a sports event in a book. That's what TV is for. Or the radio. Not my fantasy novels. It's not a war, I don't need to know who did what, especially since those details aren't plot-centric by any means. If you want to introduce a new game for your characters to play in order to help develop them be brief and touch over the highlights. Digging into the training sessions/games as deeply as she did is incredibly boring to read.
Old Jun 25 2011, 12:07 AM   #60
Dragon Fan

Fan of: The Smallest Dragonboy
Now Reading: The Rift

I came across a web site where writers have permitted some of their books up for free Ebook download. There are new writers and some well established ones as well. Most are the first book in a series so you can read it and if you like it you can then go out and but the other books in the series, Mercedes Lackey has Seven (7) of her books there if anyone wants to check out her work for free. Any way here's the link to the site.

http://www.baen.com/library/
Old Jun 26 2011, 07:02 PM   #61
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Well, I've finished Intrigues. I did enjoy it, but.... It was a bit of Arrows of the Queen meets Exile's Valor meets Take a Thief. I don't know if I would have enjoyed it so much if I wasn't such a Valdemar fan. It was a bit juvenile, could have been a young adult book.
Old Jun 30 2011, 03:58 PM   #62
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I can't wait for the next book. I hope Mags will find out who his parents were.

Old Sep 14 2011, 07:00 AM   #63
Kesal
Angel Islander

I'm re-reading the Urban Elves aka Elves on the Road books and wanted to know if anyone knows of a recommended reading order/chronological order list?
I've already reread the Elizabethan ones, and vaguely remember that the other series overlap each other somewhat. Could be wrong.
I'm also planning to include the Jinx High books as well, I understand they are related.
Kesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16 2011, 09:49 AM   #64
semantre
Dragonrider
Candidate

The Diana Tregarde books comes first, and then the only real overlap is in a couple of references at the start of the SERRAted Edge series to events that take place in Knight of Ghosts and Shadows. But here is a rough chronological reading order, as best I can remember:

Burning Water
Children of the Night
Jinx High (cameo by Tannim)
Bedlam Boyz (introduces Kayla and Elizabeth)
Knight of Ghosts and Shadows (1st books about Eric, cameo by Kayla and Elizabeth)
Summoned to Tourney (2nd book about Eric)
Born to Run (1st book about Tannim and Fairgrove Industries elves, mentions events in KoGS)
Stone Souls (2nd book about Fairgrove Industries elves, direct connection to events in Born to Run)
Wheels of Fire (3rd book about Fairgrove Industries elves)
Chrome Circle (2nd book about Tannim, direct connection to events in Wheels of Fire)
When the Bough Breaks (4th book about Fairgrove Industries elves)

Then there is a bit of a time jump, and the rest of the books are set something like 15 years later:
Beyond World's End (3rd book about Eric)
Spirits White as Lightning (4th book about Eric)
Mad Maudlin (5th book about Eric)
Music to My Sorrow (6th book about Eric)

There is also an anthology, which I haven't read, titled Bedlam's Edge. As I understand it, none of the characters already in the variosu series are present in those stories.
Old Sep 20 2011, 10:02 AM   #65
Kesal
Angel Islander

Thank you!
Kesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20 2011, 01:57 PM   #66
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Just finished rereading Magic's Price. We have just gotten an new copy of it. We
ve had Magic's Pawn and Magic's Prommis. Now we have all three.

I want to get the 3 griffon books. I've read them, but don't have them. Kibby wants to read them as well.

Old Sep 21 2011, 06:22 AM   #67
Hans
Master Archivist

Kibby might especially enjoy the original trilogy (if she hasn't read them already):

Arrows of the Queen (1987)
Arrow's Flight (1987)
Arrow's Fall (1988)

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Sep 21 2011, 06:27 PM   #68
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

She has read them all. She has read almost all of the Herald books.

Old Dec 31 2011, 07:06 PM   #69
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevia View Post
Well, I've finished Intrigues.
The next one is out. I saw it listed on Kibby's Nook. MUST HAVE! Real book not e-book.

Old Dec 31 2011, 07:11 PM   #70
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Kibby wants a book written from the companions point of view.

Old Dec 31 2011, 07:23 PM   #71
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Quote:
The next one is out. I saw it listed on Kibby's Nook. MUST HAVE! Real book not e-book.
Changes. The library here got it in and I've read it. I won't say anything about it. Wouldn't want to spoil anything for you.
Old Dec 31 2011, 08:15 PM   #72
Brenda

I finally started reading the Valdemar books. I read Arrows of the Queen, Arrow's Flight and Arrow's Fall. (I'd read all of her fairy tale books, the Dragon Jousters books and the Halfblood Chronicles.)

I could tell it was some of her much earlier writing - the writing just isn't quite as good - but the storytelling and compelling characters were there, and I'm hooked...
Old Jan 1 2012, 06:28 AM   #73
Hans
Master Archivist

Got it and read it I've got all of the VAldemar books and Lackey takesup a sizeable part of my shelving because I also like other series by her.

Old Jan 1 2012, 04:03 PM   #74
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

I like the Elemental Masters series, but not living near a big box bookstore and not ordering unless it's something I REALLY want, I haven't been keeping up...I love the Valdemar short story collections and I'm pretty sure I'm one behind.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1 2012, 08:36 PM   #75
Brenda

I love the Elemental Masters and 500 Kingdoms series, because I'm addicted to fairy tale adaptations...
Old Jan 3 2012, 10:29 PM   #76
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I have not read many of the 500 Kingdom series. I did read One Good Knight and loved it.

I liked the few Elemental Masters books that I have read.

Old Feb 18 2012, 09:04 PM   #77
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I just got through reading Changes. I thought it was good. I had hoped we would learn more about Mag's parents.

Old Feb 20 2012, 08:48 PM   #78
Dragonborne813
Muskie

Now Reading: A Discovery of Witches

The last Herald Mage trilogy!
Dragonborne813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21 2012, 01:59 PM   #79
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Those are good.

Old Aug 16 2012, 11:17 AM   #80
Sadi
Loo Cow

Fan of: Masterharper of Pern
Now Reading: Something my Maria V. Snyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
I just read the latest in the 500 Kingdoms series... great fun!
Those are my favs and screwed up things can get with the Godmothers and everything. LOVE IT!!! Then again I am a sucker for screwed up fairy tales.
Sadi is offline   Reply With Quote