A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Nov 19 2012, 09:25 PM   #1
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Fan of: Pern, Tower, and Pegasus
Now Reading: Watchers by Dean Koontz
Default Kindle Owners

First question... Are there any Kindle owners out there??

Second question... If you own a Kindle, what books have you downloaded/bought??

I had been holding out on getting a Kindle for some unknown reason. I kept saying that I much preferred "real" books. But for our 20th anniversary, my husband bought me on of the new Kindle Fire's, loaded with 18 of the "Wizard of Oz" books. (Only those by L. Frank Baum with the W.W. Denslow pictures.)

Of course the first book *I* downloaded was the 3 in 1 book of "Dragonflight" "Dragonquest" and "The White Dragon".

I am just interested what others here have on their devices.

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
Kater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20 2012, 08:44 AM   #2
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly
Default Re: Kindle Owners

Still waiting for a Kindle (or equivalent). I was promised one for last Christmas.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20 2012, 05:47 PM   #3
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

I have one. I find it great as I now live in a fifth wheel and space/weight limitations prevent me from owning as many paper books. I have quite a few books on it, including the 3 in one Dragonquest, Dragonflight, White Dragon.
Old Nov 21 2012, 11:48 AM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

I don't have a Kindle but an iPad but I do have the Kindle reader on it too. I buy books from the iBook store as well as from Amazon for Kindle, so I assume it counts.

I do compare prices between the two and usually go with who is the cheapest
I buy many travel books (Palin, Bryson and such authors are among my favs)
I have a goodly number of classic on it (e.g. Jules verne, Sherlock Holmes) and those are virtually all free downloads.
I've got a few reference works, most of them free downloads.
All the Anne McCaffrey ebooks I have are on it (that's almost 60 titles I think; not all of them are legal, there aren't so many titles by Anne that are actually published as ebook; see below about the Calibre program)
And what I buy most is new fantasy and science fiction and science fantasy. I tend to buy the newer books as ebook and funnily enough this category I mostly buy on Amazon for Kindle. Among them are Terry Pratchett (also some old titles), Robin Hobb, Elizabeth Moon etc.

And of course our very own "40 Years of Pern" is also available as ebook but in virtually all formats but not for Kindle

And in closing, I also make my own ebooks. Using the program Calibre (with which you can create an ebook out of many different formats; I started using it to convert what "ebooks" I had in the Microsoft Reader format to ePub format). I also use it to make ebooks myself out of old (highly illegal) word documents/ocr scans I have. I don't feel too bad about that because I also own the books for those word documents .

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23 2012, 02:00 PM   #5
Bruce
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonriders of pern
Now Reading: Anything I can get my hands on

Kater, I don't have a Kindle, but got an iPad 3 when they came out. I have the same 3 in 1 book you have as well as some free classic novels. I don't really have more ebooks because I really prefer old style books. I love the feel of a real Hb or Sb in my hands. I also enjoy books on cd for in my car. I have almost the entire Pern collection on cd as well as other authors I like to read. I like my iPad a lot, it has replaced my laptop for the most part.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25 2012, 06:23 AM   #6
mara

Fan of: the pern serie's
Now Reading: rereading the crystal singer

I have a Kobo e reader, but I still think it's fine to have a book in my hands and feel the weight, browse through the pages before I begin to read.
mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27 2012, 01:28 PM   #7
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

I got a Kindle for xmas last year, and have accumulated a small but nice mix of fantasy and sci-fi stories on it. I don't have any Pern/AMC on it because I'm not ready to spend money on books I already have physical copies of -- not when there's so many interesting new ones to get!

My library does Kindle book lending, but I've only done it once. I found their selection poor and the two-week no-renewals lending period rather tight.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30 2012, 11:47 PM   #8
Dragon Fan

Fan of: The Smallest Dragonboy
Now Reading: The Rift

I have had my Kindle for about 2 yrs. now, I Buy my books from Amazon( When I Buy) I mostly get my eBooks from MANYBOOKS.net,for Free. which gets most of their etexts from Project Gutenberg. The books from there are sometimes very dated, but new to me so I enjoy them anyway. Just about all are in Kindle( .azw) format. But if you do come across an ebook you want but it is not in kindle format, you can send it to Amazon and they can convert a lot of other ereader formats to .azw and send it back to you on your kindle. Although I have noticed that this service seems to have trouble with some versions of Adobe PDF's. All you get back is a jumbled mess.
Old Dec 1 2012, 12:50 AM   #9
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

I have Kindle for PC, but it crashed and I'm told I need to reload the program. I got some books, mostly free ones. I don't miss being able to access it so I haven't bothered uninstalling/reinstalling it.

Of course, my book's great for Kindle. Though I prefer people buy the real copy (and the 'preview' of book two is only available there. Well, it might be in the Smashwords file, but i cant be bothered to check that one (their whole system is set up to frustrate you into using one of the paid conversion services.)
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote