A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Library Foyer > Events Board

Events Board Information on site-sponsored and member-sponsored events: trivia contests, gathers, etc.

Old Aug 5 2010, 11:27 AM   #1
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!
Default Aussie gathers including Worldcon....

So far Melbourne and Perth will be having MoM'er gatherings of some sort or another next month, courtesy of Worldcon and I know some of our Northern counterparts would like to see photos etc so this is a preliminary thread for those participating, discussions of Worldcon, events in Perth etc ~ does that sound okay to everyone? Open to suggestions (some, of course, will have their own threads with their tidbits to tell).

Melbourne / Worldcon:

Flinx,
KC,
Kesal,
myself (Jube)

For those of us going to Worldcon, where and when would you like to meet? Beforehand? On the day it starts? Have I missed anyone? Choices are endless.

Perth:

Samsara,
KC
and probably Joz too.

I need to remember my camera and batteries.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5 2010, 03:32 PM   #2
kc

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: Various
Default Re: Aussie gathers including Worldcon....

For me probably the Thursday would be best. Although I should be there on the Wednesday I am likely to be jetlagged, and that also allows for delays in getting there.

Perhaps we could meet close to the Registration area - also notes can be put on the Voodoo Board to keep in touch - that reminds me I will have to let you all know my real name

Kath
kc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6 2010, 07:30 AM   #3
Samsara
Inactive

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Restoree

Yep, sounds good. I seriously owe Joz an email, so I'll get in touch with her and let her know (just in case she doesn't see this). My hubby makes an awesome bubbly pie too! I'll get him to make one, I absolutely insist...

gather = bubbly pies. It's the rules, 'cause Anne said so!
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13 2010, 08:10 AM   #4
Joz
Inactive

Fan of: The Crystal Singer

mmmm bubbly pies... one for each hand?
Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13 2010, 09:50 AM   #5
Samsara
Inactive

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Restoree

I'm sure that could be arranged if you like! Now we just have to work out if if it will be possible for us 3 to get together when KC is here...

KC, what dates will you be in Perth?
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13 2010, 05:50 PM   #6
kc

I'll be there for a good week/10 days but until I get to hear from my friends my plans are a bit up in the air. I arrive on Sat 18th and leave on Wednesday 29th. I am staying very central so it should be reasonably easy to meet up.
Old Aug 13 2010, 11:10 PM   #7
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Your idea of catching up on Thursday before Worldcon, is a good one KC as I'll probably be coming down on Tuesday but I'm in the same boat with catching up with a few people first. Wonder what Kesal and Flinx are doing? Thursday to "meet and greet" is a good idea beforehand.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Aug 14 2010, 08:52 PM   #8
Kesal
Inactive

On the Thursday I'm going to be working at the rego desk in the morning, then have a launch for a book I helped edit in the afternoon. I'm likely to be working the rego desk most of the days leading up to the Con in any case. I will keep an eye on any meet-ups, and come if I can

Oh, if anyone is going to be in town the weekend before, Can't Stop The Serenity is on on Saturday 28th, at the Melbourne University Union Theatre, just a short tram ride out of the city. We'll be showing Serenity and Dr Horrible's Sing-along Blog on the big screen, and there'll be door prizes, raffles, auctions (of some really drool-worthy stuff), costume competitions, merch booth etc. And there's even a chance that Joss Whedon himself will be there - he is in Melbourne that very weekend, and we are working on it!
Best part of all (after the possibilty of Joss being there), all profits go to charity.
Kesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18 2010, 06:32 PM   #9
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Kesal ~ Wish I could be at Melbourne Uni with you on 28.08.10 but we've got something organised that weekend already. So who is the nominated charity? What kind of auctions of the drool-worthy items have you got? I ask because if there's something I'm interested in AND if you could put a bid in for me ~ only if you're willing to do so, I'll be able to catch up with you in the next few days after it and pay you back ~ usually pay all IOU's back asap as it keeps me out of trouble then (crossing fingers ). That decision, I'll leave up to you, in case it's something you're after too! I so wish I could go to it now but ...... commitments prevent me from going until a few days after.

I'll try to catch up with you at the rego desk then - probably be the daggiest person out wearing a Worldcon jumper but it'll be like a stack of people in the same situation so whatever I like daggy on occasions but not too daggy *chuckles*.

Same with KC too. Haven't heard from Flinx in awhile so not sure what's happening there. I'm getting excited about it even if I'm dead-tired at the moment..

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Aug 18 2010, 07:56 PM   #10
kc

I'm planning on wearing either a Dragoncon T'Shirt or one of my MoM Goes To .. ones

- actually if I wear Anne you'll probably guess who I am there and then
Old Aug 22 2010, 07:45 AM   #11
kc

There's a preliminary programme up on the website. Certainly helps me make a sightseeing timetable easier.

http://www.aussiecon4.org.au/index.php?page=26
Old Aug 22 2010, 06:12 PM   #12
Kesal
Inactive

I will probably be wearing a variety of Jinx t-shirts, or Firefly/Serenity t-shirts. I will also be knitting or spinning most of the time

I may be found at the reception desk leading up to the con, and occasionally at the Continuum Convention table, and possibly at a Melbourne Browncoats table if we end up having one.

Tonight, I plan to go through a print out of the panel descriptions, then work out a grid of when I want to go to what.

Have been thinking I may need to borrow Hermione Granger's time-turner!
Old Aug 23 2010, 12:15 AM   #13
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Had a look at the programme list, myself. Think I will print it out, like Kesal's doing, and go through it.

There's also 2 balls - Horror night on Thursday and Worldcon on Saturday respectively ~ so debating as to whether to go to one or both of them. I have something to wear for the horror one but nothing to wear for the other ~ talk about Cinderella complex ~ so I'll have my decision made by the weekend if I can find something to wear.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Aug 23 2010, 08:33 AM   #14
Kesal
Inactive

Saturday night's masquerade is not a ball, just a costume parade. I've had it confirmed by the programmer.
Old Aug 23 2010, 10:44 AM   #15
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

If that's the case, then I've got the perfect one to wear

My only problem is that I've got half of it packed already and the other half is sitting on top of the freezer

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Aug 23 2010, 05:53 PM   #16
Kesal
Inactive

Sorry if my previous post came across a bit "short", I think that was the moment exhaustion hit me last night.

I'm still hunting the op shops for my costume for the Nightmare Ball. I know exactly what I want to do, but finding what I need that will fit is proving difficult. I've just had an idea for the mask, that will fit with the costume, and can't work out how I didn't think of it before! Need to finds some lace fabric remnants before I start dying everything else...

I have fabric and a pattern for the masquerade costume, I'm tossing up whether to find a wig or not. It would need to be VERY inexpensive, which limits me.
Old Aug 23 2010, 06:52 PM   #17
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

If you want a horror mask look up the chinese theatre faces (done with white pancake plus a couple of colours) there's a great one called bent-face.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23 2010, 06:53 PM   #18
kc

Pre Registraton has fallen great for me - it's in the Crowne Plaza on Wednesday

I can register after having a long lie in, or as I check in, depending how the flight goes

Now have my flight/travel tickets and programme - look out Melbourne I'm almost on my way
Old Aug 23 2010, 10:45 PM   #19
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Kesal, I'm slowly learning not to take people literally and I work shiftwork so I've come a cropper on occasions after / when I've had time to think about it and look on my previous posts so please don't stress too much about it. Hope you and KC like lollies, I've been raiding "staff sales" when I can for "those times when you need a mintie moment"

Things I can help Kesal with (whilst I'm thinking of it):

*Lace remnants - I've got some but I'll need your addy to post them to you so please pm me or if failing that, go to Spotlight or your local material shop and see what they've got. I've yet to book my ticket to the Masquerade Ball AND find a mask for it. It's getting so close, it's not funny although I think I can get a ticket beforehand - I just might have to utilise P'ter's idea.

*What kind of wig do you need? I've got some but I'll need to hunt them out of my costume box - the only one that springs to mind is a long curly blonde one and I think I've got several others. I'll go look in a moment.

Looks like I won't be getting there until Wednesday. Hubby told me this morning that his dad wants to visit his sister so he's taking him down to Melbourne - works for me as one suitcase is full with books, dvds etc and is quite heavy and the other is slowly filling up with costume ideas and the everyday stuff.

I've worked out that I'm taking the "Legends 1 & 2" and "Dragonlover's guide to fantasy" books because I've got a chance of catching up with several of the authors who wrote the short stories for those anthologies and I'll ask as politely as possible if they're willing to sign them. Save lugging lots of books around, that's for sure.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Aug 24 2010, 12:17 AM   #20
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Well unless you want clown wigs and a blonde wig, that's all I got. Now I'm looking at the blonde wig and thinking that would be good for my costume ~ hell's bells now I need a mask.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Aug 24 2010, 05:05 AM   #21
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

If you are doing the mask you'll need stage-type pan sticks (Leichner or similar)

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Old Aug 24 2010, 08:56 AM   #22
Kesal
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jube View Post

Things I can help Kesal with (whilst I'm thinking of it):

*Lace remnants - I've got some but I'll need your addy to post them to you so please pm me or if failing that, go to Spotlight or your local material shop and see what they've got.
There's a very expensive but droolworthy dress fabric shop not far from where I live, as well as a cheapy one that often gets in interesting stuff I'm hoping to get in to them first thing Monday. If that fails, I have some "ribbon" lace that I may be able to sew together roughly.

Quote:
*What kind of wig do you need? I've got some but I'll need to hunt them out of my costume box - the only one that springs to mind is a long curly blonde one and I think I've got several others. I'll go look in a moment.
Long, blonde wavy is what I was looking for, think Princess Pride Curly could work - was going to do it in a loose braid.
Old Aug 24 2010, 08:58 AM   #23
Kesal
Inactive

Anyone planning to join the Wednesday night Pub Crawl? I'm definitely up for at least the first venue.
Old Aug 24 2010, 08:59 AM   #24
Kesal
Inactive

Quote:
Well unless you want clown wigs and a blonde wig, that's all I got. Now I'm looking at the blonde wig and thinking that would be good for my costume ~ hell's bells now I need a mask.
Ah if you're using it, don't worry
Old Aug 24 2010, 09:01 AM   #25
Kesal
Inactive

Someone suggested I try a costume hire place and hire a wig. Actually, think there may be a kids one near the fabric shop I want to visit. Considering kids hats fit me better than adults, maybe a kid's wig would work
Old Aug 24 2010, 10:20 AM   #26
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesal View Post
Anyone planning to join the Wednesday night Pub Crawl? I'm definitely up for at least the first venue.
I can probably do the first and second but after that I'll be crawling back to where I'm staying so if worse comes to worse and you desperately need lace, I can give it to you then.

My wig would probably be too big for your head if that's the case - I've got a boofy head when it comes to hats, wigs etc that go on one's head

You kind of put the blonde wig into my head so did one of the girls at work. But both of you gave me different ideas as to how to use it

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Aug 24 2010, 04:59 PM   #27
kc

Just to be clear I won't be dressing up, I don't usually and I just haven't got the space for any costumes
Old Aug 24 2010, 10:08 PM   #28
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fair enough KC. Actually what popped into my head just then, if one went in a white t-shirt, jeans, jacket and sunnies, one could always say they're James Dean or one of the t-birds from Grease and still get away with it. Damn ... now I've got the Adams Family in my head, followed by the girl in Mama Mia and the Bride of Frankenstein all mixed up What a combination?

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Aug 25 2010, 07:45 PM   #29
Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesal View Post
Someone suggested I try a costume hire place and hire a wig. Actually, think there may be a kids one near the fabric shop I want to visit. Considering kids hats fit me better than adults, maybe a kid's wig would work
If your costume hire places are anything like ours, they are very expensive, you have to collect your hire on the day and return it the next

We have cheap shops - $2 shops and the like (although all items are certainly NOT $2) - where you can buy dress up type stuff very cheaply.

sure wish I could come with you!
Old Aug 26 2010, 10:33 AM   #30
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Wish you could too Lily - would love to have caught up with you too!

Think my costume for Thursday is fixed up (except for the mask) and Saturday night's getting close to finishing. Now just to book my ticket and I'm square Hope you managed to get yours fixed up Kesal.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Aug 26 2010, 10:49 AM   #31
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Thought the horror ball was Thursday - just looked and it's Friday night - my mistake.

Okay a question for someone in the know - what's Filking? Remember it from somewhere but can't, for the life of me, work out what it was.

Worked it out now - google is my friend - may go to one of the sessions, dependent on how I feel by that stage, I guess.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Aug 26 2010, 11:28 AM   #32
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

One definition is based on filk as a genre: filk is folk music, usually with a science fiction or fantasy theme. But this definition is not exact. Filkers have been known to write filk songs about a variety of topics, including but not limited to tangentially-related topics such as computers and cats. The other common definition is anthropological: filk is what is sung or performed by the network of people who originally gathered to sing at SF/fantasy conventions. Yet another definition focuses on filking as a community of those interested in filk music and who form part of the social network self-identified with filking. As described later in this article, the origins of filk in science fiction conventions and its current organization emphasizes the social-network aspect of filking.
Whichever definition one chooses, filk is a form of music created from within science fiction and fantasy fandom, often performed late at night at science fiction conventions, though there are now dedicated filk conventions in Canada, England, Germany, and the USA. And whichever definition one chooses, the boundaries of filking are muddy.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26 2010, 05:46 PM   #33
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Dragonflight

And filking may - or may not - include the consumption of copious amounts of liquid refreshments
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26 2010, 06:52 PM   #34
Kesal
Inactive

When I planned my leave a year ago, I did not know at the time that Joss Whedon would be in Melbourne to give a talk for the Melbourne Writer's Festival (tonight), or when I volunteered for Can't Stop the Serenity, it would be the weekend before Worldcon (tomorrow) - and yes we did set the date for CSTS before we knew Joss was in town, and of course we have invited him the moment we realised he would be here . Or that the ballet would be on, and my favourite dancer would be the lead (otherwise I would have save the ticket money for Worldcon), and that it would be the last week of the football season, or my other convention committee would have a meeting this weekend.

So I didn't plan to start my leave half a week earlier, and by the time I realised it would be necessary, I didn't have any more leave left.

The reason I usually arrange for the leave to start a few days before the events start is that I have Chronic Fatigue, and find resting up for a few days before usually helps prevent me from getting too ill during/after the events.

Fate has had me start my leave a day early, but in a way which does not help - I have a flu-like illness.

So I now wont be going to the football, doubt I will make it to the meeting, and definitely wont be on the pub crawl (partly because I need the rest, and partly because I hadn't realised it was the same night as my ballet ticket). At least at the ballet I can relax I've also cancelled on my Stitch 'n' Bitch group tomorrow...which I started earlier this month. That could be fatal to the group, but I hope not!

In any case, the point of this long winded (and slightly fever-fuelled) babble is that I am not going to be able to make a meet-up before the con. Partly because I don't want to give you all the crud too, and partly because I need the rest!
Old Aug 26 2010, 07:37 PM   #35
kc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneli View Post
And filking may - or may not - include the consumption of copious amounts of liquid refreshments
And how would you know that Anneli ????
Old Aug 26 2010, 07:43 PM   #36
kc

Never mind Kesal - all that matters is for you to feel your best and enjoy the events.

Gathers/meetups are a bonus. Lets stick to plan of meeting at registration area just before the con starts on Thursday.

You have my name and hotel so you and/or Jube can leave messages if things can be made firmer or changed.

I'm hoping the hotel has some sort of internet access, other than the Wifi, as I'm not bringing the netbook with me so I'll do my best to check in on here as and when I get chance.
Old Aug 26 2010, 10:43 PM   #37
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Kesal, I felt quite "deflated" for you (although I don't have chronic fatigue syndrome, I do shiftwork and that almost amounts to the same thing some days, hubby thought I was going to stay in bed until it was time to go to work this afternoon, told him I had an excuse, had to go to the post office then the pub to put my footy tips in so had to get off my rear end but I do understand in some small way...).

Read somewhere that Sunday night of the convention at AAMI stadium, the Storm plans to offer their supporters $1 tickets to their last game of the season as a farewell send-off to the season. Don't know if I want to go but I know a friend probably will. I'd go to the football but I don't know if my team will be in the final 8 by that stage.

As for the pub crawl, as said previously I'll go for an hour or 2 then go back to my mum's place - the only other suggestion I can make is that we go out for dinner on the Monday night (last night of the con) as a kind of R&R and final wind-up if you wish. There's a nice pub near my mum's place where we went for dinner, last time I was in Melbourne and it's still close to the CBD.

KC there's several internet cafes in Elizabeth St which I've used in the past when I've needed to use them.

Meeting at the rego desk on Thursday morning is good for me too, however briefly it is, we can still have enough time to work out if there's anything over the con that we've agreed to meet up at. Managed to work out most of what I'd like to see, except for a few things where I need Hermoine's time changer too.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Aug 27 2010, 06:18 AM   #38
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Why drag in Hermione? What's wrong with a Pernese dragon? Just as good at timing it.

C. S. Lewis

Old Aug 27 2010, 10:24 AM   #39
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

And several fire lizards as messengers

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Aug 29 2010, 08:20 AM   #40
kc

I'm within 3 hours of leaving my house so will be going offline now, lunch to eat and finish the packing/tidying up.

See you in 3-4 days

Kath