A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room > Collector's Marketplace

Collector's Marketplace Have some books you'd like to sell, trade, or give away? Looking for a particular item? Post about it here! Please read the forum guidelines first.

Old Aug 10 2008, 10:30 AM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default First Edition Pern CD on eBay

You all know I don't normally do this but there's a First Edition Masterharper of Pern CD by Anne, Tania Opland and Mike Freeman up on eBay.

You can recognise the (limited) first edition by the fact it has no bar code on the back but a box with the printed signatures of the three collaborators.

The seller originally thought it was signed but was quick to correct the mistake when I pointed it out; so a nice and trustworthy seller, one of the reasons I am putting this here

The link to Dutch eBay is: http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWA:IT&ih=013

If you want it in your personal eBay copy and paste the item number in the search field: 230279779388

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11 2008, 11:10 AM   #2
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day
Default Re: First Edition Pern CD on eBay

*rushing to the CD rack to see what mine is *

NO, just the ordinary one

Do you already have one, Hans??

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11 2008, 11:28 AM   #3
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

Sort of looks like the one I gave Maelin, but since I can't see the back of that one anymore I have no idea. Probably isn't, though hers should now have all three signatures on it!
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11 2008, 12:03 PM   #4
sjslack
Inactive

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: as usual

-Innocent whistle at the bid that's on it-
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11 2008, 04:37 PM   #5
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina View Post
Do you already have one, Hans??
Yes, Nina, I have one of those first editions and actually recently found out (from Mike Freeman himself) why that particular version has the signatures on it: when published the barcode was known yet and they had reserved the space for it so they put the signatures there)

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Aug 11 2008, 09:50 PM   #6
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

My lovely copy was graciously gifted to me by my dear friend Cilla and it does indeed have all three signatures on it now It is the one with the bar code on it though and not the original one with the printed signatures in the bar code's spot.

Don't you just love all the little oddities that make collecting sooooo much fun. You can have ten copies of a given item...and they are all the same except for one little area...and that one little thing makes it worth more than all the rest of the perfect copies...and of course we collectors just have to try and collect all ten...

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12 2008, 10:00 AM   #7
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

I think most of us will probably put it on our "watch" list. Tania and Mike graciously signed my copy (Many thanks to both for doing that) which I'm quite happy with.

Actually I agree with you Lady Maelin. I found 2 books with the same dustjacket but one had a publisher's name on the spine, the other didn't so both are currently awaiting shelf space at the moment.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12 2008, 10:16 AM   #8
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelin View Post
You can have ten copies of a given item...and they are all the same except for one little area...and that one little thing makes it worth more than all the rest of the perfect copies...and of course we collectors just have to try and collect all ten...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jube View Post
<snip>I found 2 books with the same dustjacket but one had a publisher's name on the spine, the other didn't so both are currently awaiting shelf space at the moment.
I feel a lot less crazy and alone now

Old Aug 12 2008, 04:09 PM   #9
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Maybe instead of calling it the *Book Collectors Group* on MoM...we should call it the *Book Crazies* instead

Hans...IMO, non of us are truly alone in our love of books...we all happily join a special group, that is indeed just a tiny bit crazy, when we start collecting them

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote