View Single Post
Old Sep 18 2005, 09:00 AM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Collecting Highlight (2) - All the Weyrs of Pern audio recording by Anne McCaffrey

Right, with thanks to Cheryl for initiating this special Meeting of Minds feature and starting it with an immensely appropriate item it is now my turn to bring an Anne McCaffrey collectors item into the spotlight.

It is not an especially rare item but really something special that "stole my heart" because it is one of the few items that allows us to really hear our favourite author and not only read what she came up with. And among the few recordings Anne made herself this one takes a special place.
I am talking about the abridged recording on audio cassette of All the Weyrs of Pern which was published by The Publishing Mills in 1991.

The recording consists out of two audio cassettes of 90 minutes each, giving you a total of a wonderful three hours listening to Anne's unusual voice. At least, that is how I saw it. Anne's does have a special sound and let me tell you, that it is not the recording; if you ever meet her for real you will notice the special timbre in her voice right away.

The recording was published in November 1991 by a relatively small company. it is packed in a cardboard and plastic clamshell case. The cover illustration is the one by Michael Wheland also used for the book.

Why do I think this is so special. Well, Anne not only reads it herself but she reads parts of it with such feeling and such emotion that, despite the fact you know this is fiction, you are wondering if things are for real
Some of you may have heard Anne talking about Robinton's death and Aivas' shutdown. For those who have not I have put about 30 seconds worth of that scene on my site for you to listen to. The quality is bad but it does reproduce Anne's voice correctly (the first time I heard it I really thought there was something wrong with the recording) and you'll hear the emotion coming through and Anne sounding nearly in tears at the end...

Click on the following link and either chose run/play (in which case your computer will play the fragment, if you have a program installed for that - the regular Windows media player will suffice) or chose "save" to save the file to your PC and play it from there.

The same company also published an unabridged set (1996, 10 cassettes, read by Mark Rolston) which currently sells for c. $ 135.

The abridged set read by Anne is not much in evidence at Amazon but does sell for between $ 10 and $ 25. Click here for the offers on Amazon.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote