View Single Post
Old Oct 18 2009, 11:56 PM   #5
Litwolf
Drudge

Now Reading: Bone Crossed by Patricia Briggs
Default Re: About names of persons and places in the Kolmar Chronicles

( Thanks for who ever made this a new thread )

Lanen, thanks so much for answering my question. You did not bore me at all, I was really interested to see how you name things.

I'm glad to see that there are other writers who dig up dictionaries of old languages for names. I have used a few choice Latin words for names but I love your combination of words. That's a great tip, thanks.

Also, saying names out loud. I rarely read books out loud so I always just say the names in my head. But it would be good to have pronouncable names if you want people to talk about your stories Do you have your own idea of how each name is pronounced and go crazy when someone says it wrong?

I seem to get in disagreements with the pronunciation of names all the time. Like in Shakespeare class a few weeks ago, we read 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'. All my friends pronounced the Fairy Queen's name (Titania) like they were saying 'titanium' and I said it the totally different way I had heard it when I helped with a performance of the play as well as a television show that had her as a character. I kept trying to correct them but they stuck to their own way. Do you ever correct people's pronunciation of names in your books?

PS - I must say that I got a personal kick out of one name: the village of Beskin. This was the first time I had reread the series since I entered college. And, one of the new students last year who has become a good friend of mine, has the last name of Beskin! In fact, her first name is so common on our campus, we usually just call her 'Beskin'. When I read it a few weeks ago, I beat the dinner rush to the dinning hall to find my friend and show her her name in the book. Beskin laughed and thought that was the coolest thing.

PSS - I think it is the best thing in the world to be able to pick the brains of my favorite authors. Thanks for letting me pick at yours! Wait... ew, I think it's too close to Halloween for me to make that comment without picturing zombies

Last edited by Litwolf; Oct 19 2009 at 04:07 PM.
Litwolf is offline   Reply With Quote