View Single Post
Old May 29 2007, 09:16 AM   #25
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Winds of Change and Shaping
Default Re: The many incarnations of Robin Hood

OK, coming in very late on this discussion, but - and this is Dinosaur Girl speaking here - hasn't anybody read the BALLADS? They are the source material for most of the TV and film versions, though personally I find them far more interesting.

The central source is a piece called "A Lytle Gest of Robyn Hode", which has it all. The language may seem obscure, but try reading it out loud.

I first fell in love with Robin at age 10, when I read the Children's Classics version illustrated by Edwin John Prittie. The editor was George Cockburn Harvey, but I don't think he was the author. In any case, this version was based on the ballads (which I found later) and is a superb re-telling. The woodcut illustrations were brilliant too.

Ever since then, I have had a special place in my heart for Robin. He was my first introduction to an earlier version of English and thus the basis for my love of language, for which I shall be forever grateful. The fact that he was brave and selfless and stood up for those who could not stand up for themselves struck a deep chord in me that has never really stopped ringing.

I just discovered that the 'gravestone' I had always heard about - the one with the verse that starts "Here underneath this little stone lies Robert, Earl of Huntingdon..." is most likely a 17th century forgery. Sigh. Thus are our illusions shattered - but sometimes the tales are stronger than truth. Thank goodness.