View Single Post
Old Jan 17 2020, 01:54 PM   #5209
Zelandeth

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Working my way through the whole Pern series
Default Re: What is happening

That's miles per Imperial gallon - so 4.55 litres.

Made a quick run out of town today, partly for a change of scenery and partly as it's an excuse to drive on (slightly) nicer roads.

This has definitely improved my average fuel consumption from the previous 11mpg, but is still "far from frugal."

I think one of my jobs for this weekend will be getting stuck into the distributor and making sure the vacuum advance system is working properly. Apparently the old grease dries up and causes the system to lock up. The obvious consequences of this being an engine that's down on power and horrific fuel economy. The former is quite hard to detect given the abundance of torque available from this power unit!

This also has a huge impact on the exhaust gas temperature which really isn't great for the exhaust valves, which is something we want to rectify sooner than later I think given my reading seems to suggest that these engines dropping valve seats isn't unknown if the heads get unduly hot.

Now, to figure out how to get at the distributor without having to remove the cruise control assembly and half of the fuel injection system...

The "Hey, that's a lovely looking car...wait...that's *my* car!" reaction when walking back to it in car parks definitely has hasn't worn off yet.

Managed to get it a very quick blast over at the jet wash today (hoping to do it by hand at the weekend so mainly wanted to get the moss out of the window seals etc), get the impression this won't come up bad with a bit of work.

At least I've got rid of the huge greasy hand print I left on the bonnet a few days ago now.
Zelandeth is offline   Reply With Quote