View Single Post
Old Feb 8 2017, 06:22 PM   #4010
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing
Default Re: What is happening

A long time before NASCAR was even thought of, in 1936 E.L. Cord advertised his new model Cord 810 as "the automobile built to do 70 MPH all day long". The car was revolutionary enough for that year; front wheel drive (the 1929 Cord L-29 was the first front wheel drive from Auburn/Cord/Duesenberg, possibly the first production front wheel drive in the world), retractable headlights, vacuum/electric pre-selector shifting, unit-body construction, just to name a few of the features on the car. Styling was phenomenal. When it debuted, people climbed up on the bumpers and running boards of other cars at car shows, trying to see it. Look at a 1936 Chevrolet, Ford, or even Cadillac, then look at the 810 and you'll see what I mean.

So of course, the other carmakers challenged that claim. Cord put two on the track for 24 hours, coming off the 70 MPH mark only to refuel and switch drivers Then a front hub broke on car number one in the 15th. Car number 2 finished the 24 hours It was determined that the failure was the repeated stress of constantly turning one direction, hour after hour.

For the 1937 model year, Cord offered supercharging as an option. A 1937 supercharged Cord Beverly sedan set a speed record of over 200 MPH on the Bonneville salt flats. The 810/812 Cord has been called "The most beautiful car you never heard of". I restored Cords and built parts for them for about 4 years. Of all the cars I worked on in my 15+ years of restoration work, it remains my favorite.