View Single Post
Old Oct 13 2007, 04:19 PM   #7
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Fan of: The Ship Series
Now Reading: Dragonheart, baby!
Default Re: (Potential Adult Topic) Dragons Sexual Selection

First of all, love the first post Nako (especially the part about the ovaries). Despite being gay myself, I have to admit that I hadn't actually thought enough about the fact that a gay man would never be in charge of a Weyr. I think that at times blueriders have made it to wingleader (or perhaps wingsecond) but I can't quote anything I'm afraid. But, yes, it does seem very restrictive (at least we get an otherwise pretty fair look-in at all which is pretty good for mainstream sci-fi)

As for sexuality, I think that in the Weyrs especially there is less of the need to define yourself as being straight or bi or gay. I get the impression that as they are generally looser about their attitudes to sex in general, they probably are a bit more happy about going where their desire takes them instead of the modern Western attitude of "ugh, no, I'm well straight I am yeah girls great" which stays with us and instills a sense of shame into homosexuals of any gender (even if it is less than it was 10, 20 or more years ago).

It is striking that despite gay male characters cropping up in a great many of the Pern stories, not once do we ever meet a lesbian or bisexual lady. Are there any in fanficdom I wonder?

Personally I think the concept of stand-ins is horrendous and offensive. In my opinion, it was invented and introduced to give narrow-minded people an "out" when thinking about their beloved bronzeriders and what they would be doing on a fairly regular basis. As I said, that's just my opinion.

LOL I think I could keep going, but maybe I should stop for now!!
Gidget2 is offline   Reply With Quote