View Single Post
Old Jan 2 2010, 06:14 AM   #16
elvenart
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: The Planet Pirates omnibus
Default Re: Anyone seen Avatar

The thing with Sully, I expect, is that he had a hard time 'thinking' his wants and ideas to the animals on Pandora. He's grown up with Earth animals and their very limited understandings. The Pandoran creatures seem to fully meld with their riders, thus instantly grasping their desires. This was demonstrated most effectively in the scene where he is learning to ride the 'horse'.

This will be similar to how the Dragonriders in the Pern series fly and communicate, I would imagine, although it makes it difficult from a visual perspective to translate that to film. I would surmise that that was part of the reason that Cameron decided to have Sully do more verbal directing with the Banshee rather than mental, to kind of let the audience get a sense of where he was going and what he was doing.

I will say this, I only saw the movie in 3D because the showtime was right. I had to have the car back for my wife shortly after the movie was over. However, I am quite sure that it would hold most if not all the same appeal in the regular format. What I would LIKE to see is it on an IMAX screen, either 2D or 3D. That would just be wonderful, especially in the flight scenes. I remember when IMAX first was new, the movies made for it (Speed, Flight, etc), and the impact that they had because they took full advantage of the system, something lost over time. You found your body wanting to move wherever the camera moved, and had to consciously hold still. That would be the hight of greatness to see either Avatar or a DoP movie on that format, though the one here in Memphis doesn't play movies. I think the closest one that does is in, like, Nashville. Bummer.... :\
elvenart is offline   Reply With Quote