Thread: Crystal Singer: Favourite singer?
View Single Post
Old Oct 16 2008, 11:32 AM   #13
draconichybrid
Inactive

Fan of: Lessa/Killa/TTATH pentad
Now Reading: Random Rereads
Default Re: Favourite singer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by granath View Post
Yeah, it is rather surprising, since her memory hadn't deteriorated yet by that point. Still, I suppose she felt a bit used by him (I certainly would have in her situation) and finally finding her true love in Lars must have contributed. Especially given the way they were separated by mistake, I totally understand that she didn't have any more time for Lanzecki. I didn't like the way Lars manipulated her at times, but at least on Optheria they had a relationship where she was the dominant party for part of the time...
Killa manipulated Lars plenty of times, and not just on Optheria.

Quote:
(an alpha female isn't alpha unless she's on top - just an intolerable witch...
I strongly disagree here.

Classic "No True Scotsman" fallacy: You're profiling an alpha female as a dominatrix, period -- if a woman isn't a dominatirx, then she can't possibly be an alpha. There are three possibilities, not one -- refusing to acknowledge the other two isn't going to make them go away.
-->If the woman is stronger than the man, the woman can either hold herself back or take refuge in petty tyranny.
-->If the man is stronger than the woman, the man can either hold himself back or take refuge in petty tyranny.
-->If both people are the relatively the same strength, both of them can grow and act as strong as they are.

In the third case, if one of the pair is an alpha, the other simply has to be an alpha too.

Quote:
I despise the "taming of the shrew" plots with Killa and Lars and to some point Lanzecki, The Rowan and Jeff not to mention Lessa and F'lar)
"Taming of the shrew"?
Allusions to Katherina/Bianca are rather unfair for all of those groupings (with the possible exception of Killa / Lanzecki, since she did subordinate herself to a large degree... although she still took the initiative with Lanzeki and forced him to do a few things he for himself he wouldn't have otherwise, a la F'lar and Mnementh/Lessa) don't follow the Shakespearian plot.

Do any of the women here abandon "shrewishness" towards those around them? Or do they merely balance "shrew" with a little "lady of the manor"?

Shrewishness can be rather effective -- but it's not always effective or even advisable.

Quote:
unlike Lanzecki who only used her to avoid going to the ranges himself - or so it felt to me. I don't blame her for dumping him, but I do felt her histrionics before going to Optheria were for someone totally not worth it!
Actually, Killa used him quite a bit too. Sexual therapy, privileged information that gave her an unfair advantage looking for that Black Crystal, she even got him to suspend the "normal" procedures and let her go Crystal Hunting weeks ahead of SOP.

Admit it, Killa was literally chomping at the bit at that point. Killa's got no patience to speak of, sitting around is one of the best ways to drive her insane, her whole attitude is caustic enough to melt through steel plating....

Last edited by draconichybrid; Oct 16 2008 at 01:14 PM.
draconichybrid is offline   Reply With Quote