View Single Post
Old May 11 2009, 09:23 AM   #92
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall
Default Re: 9th Pass Pern clothing

Hats - especially "straw hats" are not too hard to make. Here I would use flax (looks like ten foot high grass) and flat-braid it, then coil the braids up and sew them in a spiral. When I lived on Norfolk Island they did the same thing with a tough grass off the cliffs. I can see field-workers and anybody who is going to be outside wearing something like that, along with homespun, brownish or greyish or cream-coloured tunic and loose pants. Whatever is the natural colour of the fibre that they are using.

Good clothes were obviously too precious to waste - have you noticed how often they are recycled? Somebody turns up - like Menolly or Piemur - and the Headwoman makes straight for a chest, which has spare clothes in.

Nobody's mentioned mordant. It doesn't matter how bright your plant dye is if it doesn't stay on the fibre. We don't know what the Pernese might have had to fix dyes with, or what colours the mordant might have worked on.

It makes sense that easily made natural dyes might be different between Earth and Pern too. It's not a matter of whether or not our science applies, it's a matter of what's available. Red is mentioned as hard to make, but it was one of the three natural available dyes used by the Maori before settlement by Europeans with all their trade-goods. The colours were red, black, and yellow. Green and blue were not available at all.
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote