View Single Post
Old Jan 22 2019, 10:13 PM   #4757
Zelandeth

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Working my way through the whole Pern series
Default Re: What is happening

Here are the crusty remains of the front to rear brake line once removed from the car. This had been bypassed by a temporary line for quite a while to make moving the car around less terrifying, but wasn't actually removed until yesterday.

The in-line coupler will be saved (the fittings used on this thing are actually all nice quality), but the pipework is obviously only destined for the scrap metal bin.

New front to rear line is now in place (the temporary one I'd had just dangling under the car is visible to the right) and connected up at the front.

The line you can see to the right of the frame is the temporary one I'd plumbed in a while ago - that's now also been removed.

Pipework has been run right up to the T-piece for the rear axle connections.

Goes without saying that there will be a bunch of grommets, clips and bits of rubber sheathing installed to make sure it can't rub through on anything as this car has no shortage of rough edges.

I was a bit disappointed not to have time to get the lines to the rear wheels connected up yesterday evening as the lines are tantalisingly close to being finished. However it wasn't to be.

While I was crawling around under the car removing the old pipes I took the opportunity to thoroughly douse the handbrake mechanism in penetrating oil, so I'll be looking at seeing if I can get that to behave itself soon as well. A good parking brake is essential on this car as there's no way to secure it without it!

It gave me a good opportunity to have a proper look at the condition of the chassis as well. It's quite remarkable to be honest...I've no idea what they rust proofed these old crates with when they made them, but it's incredibly effective. There's nothing beyond light surface corrosion present, despite the car being 43 years old, and having spent the last 15 years in a boggy field with no wheels on.

Between a hospital appointment awkwardly scheduled right in the middle of the day and my getting stuck in traffic this afternoon I've nothing to really update today. However I did discover this evening that unbeknown to me at the time my husband snapped a hugely flattering photo of me while I was busy working on the seat installation the other day. If you wondered how compact the Invacar actually is relative to a person, here you go.

Having a completely flat floor without pedals in the way does make it slightly easier to do stuff like this, and in fact it wasn't even that uncomfortable once I was folded into that corner.

Getting back *out* of that corner on the other hand, that was a process which I will simply describe as "inelegant."

The interior is actually decently roomy for a single person - especially compared to some of the contemporary microcars. In conjunction with my having chosen to fit a more comfortable seat, I can see it not being too bad a place to spend time on some longer trips - important given I've quite a few planned for later this year or next year...
Zelandeth is nu online   Reply With Quote