View Single Post
Old Sep 8 2009, 10:50 PM   #2
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon
Default Re: A realistic look at dragon attrition.

I'm pretty sure that F'nor and Canth get their insurance through Blue Cross/Blue Shield. The premiums are probably astronomical though, since they're decidedly 'out of state'.

He he OK, all teasing aside. . .

I'd like to congratulate you for writing that, and me for hangin' with it to the end! I especially like the idea of a centralized training academy for all weyrlings. I'm thinking like FLETC, the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Georgia that LE's go to for learning their stuff. Same thing for wildland firefighters- there are Fire Academies in every state and a national school in Montana. There's even an academy for us "education types" that work for the National Park Service, in Virginia. Most professions have some sort of training period, so why shouldn't dragonriders do the same thing?

The Craft Halls seem to already have a sort of 'centralized curriculum'; the Fort Hold Healer Hall teaches the same thing to students at the same time as the Healer Hall at Landing, etc. So 2 craftspeople of the same rank but who were trained at different places could potentially work together successfully. But could 2 dragonriders, one trained at Benden and the other at High Reaches, work together? Well, canon lit says so- there are examples all over the place. But really, now that you mention it, I'm wondering. Just for example, I bet the riders at High Reaches learn to handle the cold, thin air, bright sun and other challenges of high altitude (and become accostomed to it), while the Monaco Bay riders are used to the warmth and humidity and having lots of air to breathe. So they get together and what about that? Chaos, several thousand feet in the air!

P.S. One thing that I'd like to point out- Canth is not a piece of metal; dragons aren't machines! I bet that taking care of him is a full-time job, and that's before he gets off the ground, so really, I'd say that the weyrlings and maybe the adults would be lucky to get in 30 hours per week of active flight.
Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote