View Single Post
Old Oct 4 2011, 04:03 PM   #1
kindan

Fan of: Crystal Singer
Now Reading: David Drake - With the Lightning
Default Marketing: Short Story Collections vs. Novels

This topic could really go in any of the forums here, so "all the rest" seems to be fitting. Keep in mind I'm not saying that there's a big overwhelming force of critical disdain for Anne stories, I'm just saying of the criticism that I've seen, this seems to be the main point.

A large majority of negative reviews and disinterest in Anne's work talks about her books feeling "segmented", "that a main plot never developed," or "it's going nowhere". Interestingly, a large number of first books in her series: (Dragonflight, The Ship Who Sang, To Ride Pegasus, Crystal Singer to name a few) are collections of short stories. Sometimes Anne reworked these to bridge the stories together, other times the stories were left as-is (no warranty!).

I think the criticism I've seen in these books are because people go into these not aware that they're reading a few short stories. Most of these stories do progress in a linear fashion so they feel more tied together than most short story collections, but I've also noticed that most of these books don't mention the fact that they've compiled short stories anywhere than in the small print copyrights.

Is this just marketing because something perceived as a novel will sell better than a collection of short stories? I think an interior mention at the beginning giving the stories histories wouldn't necessarily hurt sales, but would get people to read the books through the correct lenses. I know my opinion don't mean much, but it's an interesting thing to notice, nonetheless.