View Single Post
Old May 2 2012, 08:00 PM   #42
skywaterblue
Heavyworlder

Fan of: Moreta
Now Reading: Never Let Me Go
Default Re: What is the tithe rate?

Still scratching my head on how to get an estimate for the amount of land in the Fort Hold beholden area. Pern's painfully tiny size as quoted and displayed in the Atlas, and the frequent comparisons of the Northern Continent to the European landmass have me thinking that much as McCaffrey meant feet instead of meters, she meant miles instead of kilometers.

3000 "miles" from Fort to Cove? I made a straight line on the map that AM Calmaron is working on, labeled it 3000 miles and then shifted it. From the tip of Nerat to Benden's shores is ALSO about 3000 miles, which jibes well with the thought that Fort is six hours behind Benden. It is about 1,500 miles from the polar ice caps to the tip of Boll, which is the Northern Continent's widest point.

This would give Pern's Northern Continent a square mileage of 4.5 million miles. Wolfram Alpha helpfully informs us that this is a little larger than the size of the United States, or the extent of the Roman Empire's boundaries! Aha! We're on to something now. Europe is approximately 3.8 million square miles, so we're not too far off and we haven't accounted for all that water. Let's call that measurement a third water and lop it off. 3 million square miles is indeed, a little smaller than Europe.
skywaterblue is offline   Reply With Quote